GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Strength of the rims?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
algebr
Carlotto
Carlotto
algebr

Strength of the rims?  Empty
PostSubject: Strength of the rims?    Strength of the rims?  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:32 am

Riding in San Francisco and this city is absolutely terrible with road quality. Wondering since I've been hitting potholes/big bumps for a bit now; how strong are the rims on the 2017 GRiSO 1200 SE? That is, how big of a pothole would you have to hit before you bent the rim? How to tell if a rim is bent?
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Strength of the rims?    Strength of the rims?  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I Am not sure how much hardship the rims can take, but we have a few bad ones around here also Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Strength of the rims?    Strength of the rims?  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:44 pm

suggest putting tyres on them to lesson the impact...
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Strength of the rims?    Strength of the rims?  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Tyres help, but then the sparks won't fly!

Seriously, having the right pressure in your tyres and your suspension setup well, you should not have any difficulties.

On the issue of trying to tell if you rims are already buckled, put your bike on a stand under the engine, lock the handlebars, and use a pointer firmly attached very close to your rims, carefully rotate your wheels and look for deviations against your pointer.
Back to top Go down
algebr
Carlotto
Carlotto
algebr

PostSubject: Re: Strength of the rims?    Strength of the rims?  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 pm

I am running stock tires with 36 front, 39 rear as I read other folks were as well. Potholes in SF really are that bad, city even encourages people to get reimbursement for damage; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I hope I'm just being overly paranoid, just don't want rims or suspension busted because of the daily commute. Also, even if they were, could that conceivably be covered under warrenty?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strength of the rims?    Strength of the rims?  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Pothole damage would equate to crash damage/insurance claim, not warranty. Hence the claim against city council etc.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Strength of the rims?    Strength of the rims?  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:02 am

Fuck me running, are you kidding. In San Francisco? I lived there for over 15 years, both my boys were born there and there grown men now.

You want pot holes come to the Midwest.

Couple weeks ago there were SIX cars disabled just past my house due to flat tires because of the potholes in front of my house. Some how the rest of us survive.

Back off a little, pay attention to the road conditions you only need six inches of it.

Not trying to bust your balls. Just back it down and ride for the conditions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strength of the rims?    Strength of the rims?  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Strength of the rims?
Page 1 of 1