GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

"Pindicators" Blinker geegaws

Go down 
+7
Ranga
bahamazoo
Street
kiwi dave
DangWangi
wyno
beetle
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

"Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Empty
PostSubject: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:56 pm

Recently the rear left blinker started giving me the "globe out" warning on the dash, due to a poor connection the blinker itself. I bodged up a LED fix, but then decided to replace all of them with LED units. I wanted the Motogadget blinkers, but bugger me lonesome they're expensive. I found these Morimoto Pin Indicators (Pindicators) on the interwebs. A pair costs less than one Motogadget unit.

They also have some electronic trickery to act as white conspicuity lights which then turn to amber blinkies when blinking is required. Despite my LED headlight being stupid bright, I thought "why not"?

Hijinks ensued when the first set arrived and were wired arse-about. They activated in conspicuity mode as amber lights, then turned into white blinkies. Well, three of them did. One worked as expected. After bitching to the seller, they tested another set to confirm functionality, then posted them. Australia Post promptly lost the package. After two weeks the seller queried why it was still stuck in the Vic sorting centre. Australia Post said "we've lost the package". The seller was going to send another set, when the "lost" package was delivered on Thursday. Rolling Eyes

Of course, I only connected the conspicuity lead to the front blinkies.

Anyhoo, here they are in all their glory.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 am

Shit, they're tiny. Are they that conspicuous?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:29 am

They're very bright. Typical incandescent blinkers are about 170-200 lumens. These are 500 lumens.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:34 am

Those look great! How did the install/wiring process go for you?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:26 pm

They require resistors. Wiring was straight forward. I used one 22Ω 50W resistor at each end (one front, one rear). I added Molex connectors to the blinker assembly for the rear units. For the front, I simply cut the existing wires (I had previous replaced the stock blinkers - opening the dash cover to get at the connectors is a nightmare) and soldered the resistor and blinker wiring, heat shrink on every solder joint, and then heat shrink over the entire resistor/connections.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:56 pm

beetle wrote:
They require resistors. Wiring was straight forward. I used one 22Ω 50W resistor at each end (one front, one rear).

50W resistors must be very large (and unnecessary IMHO). Using ohms law, I reckon you could have got away with a 10W one, even less when you consider they are mostly switched off and run an approximate 50% duty cycle when in action.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:33 pm

I don't know, Mark. They may be super bright, but damn, they're tiny. Isn't the point of turn indicators to not be missed by stupid, inattentive drivers? If it works, for you, well, okay then, but it feels a bit scary to me.

Pete

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:07 am

yeah Street, but when they don't see him, and he has to lay the bike down, those lil suckers ain't gonna get all broked up Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Ranga
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Ranga

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:02 am

They may look tiny, but if they are anything like what the local HD crowd are using, they are stupid burn out the retina bright, in any light.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:05 am

Indicators could be the size of frypans and those feckers still wouldn't see you.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Ranga
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Ranga

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:09 am

beetle wrote:
Indicators could be the size of frypans and those feckers still wouldn't see you.

So true, I was riding a 650 Bonnie for a while in the 1980s. No indicators, but everyone saw my hand signals. I suspect it was only because I was the only person in Victoria using them.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:12 am

Ranga wrote:
They may look tiny, but if they are anything like what the local HD crowd are using, they are stupid burn out the retina bright, in any light.

They are stupid bright. Seriously, no video or photo will show how bright they actually are.

bounce

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:54 pm

Quote :

So true, I was riding a 650 Bonnie for a while in the 1980s. No indicators, but everyone saw my hand signals. I suspect it was only because I was the only person in Victoria using them.

I also had hand indication on a few of my bike sin the 60's through 80's, that and a loud horn. more often it was the 2nd digit, when some blind bastard "failed" to be "aware" of other road users. Remember when Volvos, Mercedes and Saabs (Saab - Something, Always, Always Broken) were sold to keep the occupants safe, regardless. All the shit-house drivers bought them.

"If you see a Volvo/Mercedes/Saab, be careful - if they have their blinker on, be extra careful - they have no idea"

Last edited by Oz1200Guzzi on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:24 pm

And if they are wearing a hat you might as well just run into them. Let's face it, their going to get you anyway......
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:43 pm

Beetle - can I ask - are the resistors the black cylinder towards the end ? The only resistors I've seen before are the metal block type that have to be mounted onto something metal to dissipate heat.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:38 pm

Those black cylinders are the gizmos that control which LED is active (white or amber).

The resistors I used were some 50W metal cased units I had lying around. Despite kiwi dave invoking Ohm's Law, these big buggers get bloody hot, even with a 50% duty cycle. The metal casing is the heat sink, and don't require fixing to a bigger sink unless the duty cycle is close to 100%.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:40 pm

Can I ask where you mounted them ?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:53 pm

The rear resistor is just shoved into the space near the tail light. The front one is cable tied to the heat sink on the headlight.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:54 pm

Cheers Beetle
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:54 pm

Dave R wrote:
Can I ask where you mounted them ?

A very pertinent question Dave.

Last edited by Oz1200Guzzi on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:55 pm

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Arse!

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:51 pm

You killed it ?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Bad Vibes?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:38 pm

I managed to unscrew the LED assembly from the thread while re-orienting the blinker assembly. Rolling Eyes

Furthermore, the conspicuity operation had a gotcha I didn't discover until riding. When the white LED activates in conspicuity mode, the control module disconnects the amber LED, and you get the red triangle of death and the "blinker no worky" icon, which alternated, quite humorously from left to right. Once you use an indicator, the error goes away..briefly. It returns when the white LEDs reactivate.

Also, after further perusal of ADR 19/02, I thought they not be strictly legal.

6.3. DIRECTION-INDICATOR

6.3.6. May not be “combined” with any other lamp.
6.3.7. May not be “reciprocally incorporated” with any other lamp.

So, I disconnected the white LED positive. Then I got ham-fisted. No

I've decided this was a bad idea and have now sourced different blinkies.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws   "Pindicators" Blinker geegaws Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

"Pindicators" Blinker geegaws
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next