GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

newbie with questions

Go down 
+8
Street
wyno
sideshowbob
bahamazoo
Grisonut
fossilrider
Richard
usedtobefast
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

newbie with questions Empty
PostSubject: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:43 am

Good day, Guys/ gals. Steve here aka Fossil. I signed in here a while back but this is my first post. I keep a garage full of bikes (about 17 at the present) and am not extreme about one particular marque BUT, my '07 GRiSO IS my favorite bike I have ever owned! I bought the GRiSO in '09 as a leftover '07 at the now-closed shop in Dahlonega, Ga.. I have had thoughts, a few times, about selling it but then realize I would really regret it, so I keep it and smile every time I ride it. The question I have is: what upgrades are available without spending a ton of money or going into the engine? I have kept the bike stock with the exceptions of a Mistral slip-on and a few small cosmetic changes (turn signals, rear fender tidy-up, etc.). I keep hearing about a re-map probably needed due to the exhaust change. I am a pretty good shade-tree wrench but a "Tech Idiot" when it comes to the computer/electronics so don't really know what is involved with getting this done. Any help/info on mods/upgrades like this would be greatly appreciated. I really don't expect a huge power gain but just wondered about anything that might clean up the throttle response or other issues that it might help. Thanks, Steve
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:41 am

For the remapping, do you have kids (or grandkids) that are handy with a computer? If so, maybe pull them in. The hardest part is getting the correct Windows drivers installed for the cable and picking the right COM port. (that is a 1 time thing)

You will need a Windows laptop (not Mac), 2 cables (~$60), and some software (3 parts, free download, but a donation to those guys is a good/great thing to do). Then a Beetle Map (~$100).

The HowTo is here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And welcome! Be nice to hear about those other 16 bikes! Any other Guzzi's?
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:20 am

Hello Steve ! Welcome, bienvenue cheers

I have also a 100% stock 1100 GRiSO. Installed the beetle map few month ago and yes it’s worth to do it bounce
Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I do have a guy who is both a bike mechanic and works on my computer, so I will get with him. I'm sure he can take this info and get the job done. As for the other bikes, right now I have two other Guzzis ,both are '76 T3s one stock and the other a cafe project that's almost done and has taken a permanent resident on one of my work stands. Seems I can't get back on it and finish it. Also have a few Yamahas; SR500, xs2, XT500, and DT400. Also have a '67 Ducati 350 Sebring, '71. OSSA Pioneer. 501 Husaberg, '71 Triumph TR6 and '73 Bonneville, along with a '08 Kawasaki Concourse 1400. Oh, and a couple mopeds; Motobecane and Sears Allstate. Several of these are projects anywhere from just being started to almost done. Yes it is an affliction, but I believe there are worse ways to be addicted. Thanks again for the info. I will see if I can post some pics of the bikes, but I usually have trouble getting them to load on forums. Regards, Steve
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Funny...
My 07 came from Dahlonega also as a left over stock but bought it in 2011.
While it doesn't have the grunt of the 8V, it's still a hoot to ride especially in the Mountains since well...you don't need horsepower anyway.
As for engine performance, you don't have much of a choice besides Mark's map. The old pushrod will never be a fast thing...

Oh and a TR6 isn't a bike mang! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:11 pm

er, Macs work just fine actually.... they only need one cable.

welcome to the Ghetto Fossil, that's quite a shed full you have cheers

loading photos is dead easy. click on the icon with the picture and the floppy disc, the then drag and drop, click insert viola!!

Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks again. Actually the TR6 I have IS a bike. The 650 Triumph with the single carb head had a few designations (TR6, and Tiger for example), while the dual carb model carried the name Bonneville (T120). The TR6 I have is a '71 but has a '72 Bonneville engine but it came to me with a single carb head. Confused yet? If not, here's more: the other Triumph I have (which is being built as a street tracker) is a '73 Bonneville frame (right side shift) with a '76 Bonneville engine (first year for the left side shift), which meant I had to build a cross shaft for the rear brake. Anyway, I just tried to send a few photos but, being the consumate computer idiot, couldn't figure how to get the pics from my files to attach to the message. I even lost the previous message while trying to do it and am having to re-type it. The only way I have ever been successful at adding pics is to" copy and paste" or "cut and paste", never found out how to "drag and drop" unless the "to" and "from" were on the screen it the same time. Man, is it tough being dumb!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:27 pm

I think it was called a Tiger in Europe but I can't be sure since I'm not super knowledgeable on Triumph motorcycles.
I know much more about the triumph cars though, having restored a bunch of them. TR3, 4 and 6s.
I even worked on a 1976 TR6 that Chris Evert Lloyd won in Winbledon that year. Well, according to the new owner in 1993. lol
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:53 pm

Welcome, Just finished this one.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:59 pm

dumb is always a relative term I find Fossil, who knew the TR6 wasn't just this...

hope this helps

oops...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:31 am

Pat, that's nor how I do it .................. I fink I just been learnt sumtin new.

Hey Fossil, welcome.
Tell me when you reach nirvana of motorcycle ownership, I'm only 15 bikes behind.
Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:24 am

Thanks for the tutorial. Surely I can figure it out with that. NICE Trumpet! I realized after the previous post that I left out my Yamaha two strokes, an RD 350 and RD400. My condition is slowly improving. At one point a few years ago, I had 49 bikes in my posession. I was really into Ossas, which is what I started racing on in the '70s, and had over 20 of that brand alone. Of course some of those were donor s since I was restoring others. But, given the fact that I want to keep something to travel on, play on, get dirty on and some vintage eye candy, I will probably always have something over 10 bikes. I will try again, later today, to post a few pics. Regards, Steve
Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:55 pm

PLEASE let me know if this pic get attached to this post. This is a LeMans 3 I sold  a year or so ago.Hated to see it go!
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Sorry Fossil, no pic.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:46 pm

haha, fond memories of a mates dads RD400, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Steve!

Pete (Street)

Posting pictures does not require dragging and dropping. I use this method:

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:48 am

Well, I thought maybe I could do it with the help but the problem I am having is getting the pics on the screen, or at least to some place where I can click on them and then drop them. every time I get to the "select file" step I have to go to my photo page and it seems the changing of screens loses what I have already done. I actually dropped a pic and thought it would attach but it evidently didn't load. I am using Chrome now and really struggling since I had finally figured out how to do a lot of stuff with explorer. Now everything works completely differently. Some sites make attaching photos so easy with a tab you just click on and go straight to your photos, without leaving the message, and click on the pic and bingo, done. I don't know why they can't all be that easy. Anyway, I know it's ME, not the computer or site. I will work on it some more tonight. Thanks so much for all who are trying to help an old "Fossil" Steve
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Go to your photo page, right click and choose copy image location, then come back and click on the link above that says Inseert Image. When that box pops up, paste the location in the box and then click Insert
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:18 pm

I have the file that has the pics I want open, and then I reduce the Ghetto page so its not full screen so you can see both target and destination at the same time.

I am also a dinosaur, reasonably unable to evolve... but like me, you'll get there!
Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:08 pm

Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Finally, I think my grandson got me straightened out on posting photos! The one he sent in the last post is a '76 T3 cafe project that has been on that stand for a few years now, but I plan to get it done soon. I will send a few more as I run across them in my photo files. A few will be bikes I have restored but no longer have, but you guys still might find them interesting to look at. Wish me luck. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Regards, Steve
Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Lst one was a '68 Kawasaki W1, which was a copy of a 650 BSA (only much better). I sold it to a guy in France. This pic is a '83 LeMans3 I sold a couple years ago and really hated to see it go.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:53 pm

'73 Bonneville frame with '76 750 Bonneville engine.
Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:56 pm

'70 Ossa Wildfire 250 that I restored from a bare frame and set of engine cases. Sold to a friend in Conn..
Back to top Go down
fossilrider
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fossilrider

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:58 pm

'71 TR6 with '72 Bonneville engine. For sale
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: newbie with questions   newbie with questions Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

newbie with questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next