GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Front suspension & Racetech

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

Front suspension & Racetech Empty
PostSubject: Front suspension & Racetech   Front suspension & Racetech Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:09 pm

I am starting to investigate having some Racetech valves installed in my forks as they are at 19K miles & due for a service.

Not having the skill, knowledge or dialled in derriere to mess with this without advice, thought I'd ask some questions about ghetto members experience.

My mechanic is e mailing Racetech & reports back that they don't have notes on working on a GRiSO before. OK I can understand not working on a GRiSO but I thought the Showa forks were used on various Suzuki GSXR models. scratch

Any ideas, direction would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension & Racetech   Front suspension & Racetech Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:37 am

First, the mechanic'en skills to put in a RaceTech kit aren't that high.  Lots of youtube videos, a few threads on here too (on pulling forks apart).  But sounds like you have a suspension person and trust them more than yourself. Very Happy

The fork is about the same as a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 600.  The parts that are different are the ones you are replacing anyway (shims are different, pistons may be same, or may be different, not sure, but you get new pistons with the RaceTech kit so doesn't really matter).

So you could order the RaceTech kit for that bike.  Once you buy a kit from them you then get a code and access to different valving stacks (number/size/thickness of shims) ... really just a sequence from "softer" to "harder" valving.  

So if a GRiSO is 80 lbs ? heavier than a GSXR 600, then maybe you want a bit firmer valving.

They are 20mm pistons & Showa forks ... there is also an Ohlins kit, Penske, and maybe a K-Tech one too.  RaceTech is the cheapest.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension & Racetech   Front suspension & Racetech Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:41 am

Here is an example chart:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So if you had a GSXR you still need to figure out "c33" or "c34" etc.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension & Racetech   Front suspension & Racetech Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:44 am

Ha, I just read that chart! What silliness, each step just adds one more 17mm dia shim.

Anyway, google race tech valving chart, and look at images ... many are dirt bike related.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension & Racetech   Front suspension & Racetech Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:27 am

Usedtobefast,

I have followed your threads with interest & a hope that I could learn. But I have determined that for the first time round I’ll look over someone’s shoulder.

I’ve never taken forks apart & didn’t want to bugger up a good bike by being ham fisted.

Thanks for the encouragement; after the GRiSO’s forks I might have a bit more knowledge to tackle my  11’s forks.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension & Racetech   Front suspension & Racetech Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:05 am

Makes sense. I was tempted by the Ohlins kit. They show up on eBay for around $275. The place selling them is Kyle Racing in Seaside, CA might try calling them direct (or have your suspension guy look into this). Normal price is $350 ish.

I think I'd rather spend $100 more for a Ohlins setup vs. RaceTech.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension & Racetech   Front suspension & Racetech Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Thanks for the information, I’ll have a look
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension & Racetech   Front suspension & Racetech Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Front suspension & Racetech
Page 1 of 1