GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Help with Gear Indicator Wiring

Go down 
+8
DeepSpace
Richard
Pete Roper
Rushjob
Grisonut
tvboy
beetle
cognosticator
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2019 11:20 am

I saw this GiPro gear indicator on Solomoto Parts and if you look at the 3rd picture (see link below) it shows a connector like the one we have to access the ECU, so I though, man easy peasy just plug n play. Yea, no, the information needed doesn't come through that plug and it comes with bare wires. This is where I need help.

The white wire connects to the speed signal and the green wire goes to the tach signal.

Can any tell me where I can tap into those two wires to get this to work. Even if I look at a wiring schematic I go complete stupider, I am color blind to begin with then all I see is a plate of spagetti when trying to follow those lines, so any help tell me where the wires are would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Here is the link to the part.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2019 3:02 pm

There is no 'tach' signal that goes to the dash. You'll need to use the phase sensor positive signal. That's pin one of the sensor cable. The speed signal is the grey/white wire from the speed sensor.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 3:19 am

Thank for the info Beetle, now if I only knew where those two items were, I would be in business.

I am just going to send it back for credit. It pissed me off that in the picture it showed the connector like the one we have to hook up the computer, I bitched to them about that and they should get rid of that picture as to me it shows an easy plug in device.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 4:03 am

Nah, hook it up.

The phase sensor is located in front of the left cylinder.

The speed sensor wiring runs along the swingarm and up near the battery.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 7:13 am

Thanks for helping an old man out Mark. Do I tap into one of those wires or is it best to connect somewhere else?

Sorry for all the questions but when it comes to electrics, I can fuck up something worse than a soup sandwich
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Healtech update   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 9:15 am

cognosticator,  Update.
I too, am interested in the Healtech gear indicator and have determined the correct part numbers.
The picture in your link is misleading, as you described, because it may not be the correct part. Or they excluded the wire harness you'll need.
Healtech makes many units and some are designed to plug directly into a  bike's diagnostic port if it has one. Easy. Many bikes don't have that port including our MGs. The PN for our required LED display is GPXT (plus the LED color) It is a display and a cable that terminates in a single four-pin plug.The universal fit wire harness is GPX-U01. It is a single four-pin plug that ends with four individual wires.  The parts you received should have those numbers. Don't mean to state the obvious.
Let us know how it turns out.

I just noticed the PN on the package in the third picture is GPX-D01. I think that's the wrong part. According to the Healtech website that harness is for Ducatis.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 11:48 am

According to Healtech I got the right parts, our ecu connector does not provide the information needed to make the unit work. it is a two part system, the main one is the one that shows the gear, the other is supposed to be bike specific, but ours has a universal plug with bare ends.

I talked to support at Healtec yesterday and that is the speil he gave me.

Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Ok. I was looking at the PN on the picture in the ad. The ad's picture shows a Ducati wiring harness. They must have used the wrong picture when selling a part for a GRiSO. I hate it when they do that.
I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 1:20 pm

The title shows for a GRiSO 8v se but those are stock photos for "reference"

The one that got me excited was the one with our plug end on it.

Beetle has got me to where I can wire it and make it work
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 1:32 pm

That's great! I'd be interested in knowing the best places in the existing wiring to tap into.
Others here are interested as well.

Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 2:38 pm

I will update this thread as the fun developes LOL I am electrical stupid

Most other things no problem
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 3:52 pm

cognosticator wrote:
Thanks for helping an old man out Mark.  Do I tap  into one of those wires or is it best to connect somewhere else?

For the speed sensor, the connector is beside the airbox on the right side. If you remove the seat and trace the wire up and jiggle it, you should see it moving. You may have to remove the rear Tupperware to access it. Best to tap into it there.

For the phase sensor, the connector (at least on mine) is up under the tank near the headstock somewhere. If you remove the left 'wing', and jiggle the wire, you can see where it goes. It may be a pain to get to. You could try tapping into the wire along the cable somewhere by carefully stripping the insulation. Do not damage the wire, as it will render your bike non-functional. I have no idea what colour the wires are. They are not colour coded on the wiring diagram.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 4:14 pm

My phase sensor cable runs behind the left coil and disappears under the front of the tank as well.
I was considering tapping onto the wire where its visible (most convenient)) but it's most exposed to the elements there so it needs to be well protected and weather-proofed.

It would have been so easy for MG to bring those two sensor signals out to a convenient place for just this purpose. Or at least for trouble-shooting. But alas...
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks guys, I really appreciate. I will look into this after my north georgia mountain trip. LOL wouldn't want to screw something up before then
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Fuck it. I'm buying one. Because....geegaw.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 4:29 pm

Ha! I was wondering if all this talk was making you want one.
If any one can install one it's you.

One nice feature for the folks down under, the display can be inverted.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 4:43 pm

beetle wrote:

Fuck it. I'm buying one. Because....geegaw.

LOL, I will wait for the picture tutorial :-)
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Alright. Purchased. A week or so for the USPS to get it in country, then 10 days or more while it sits at the Australia Post sorting centre in Chullora. That's where every item I ever buy has a holiday.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 5:19 pm

What color , er, sorry, what colour did you choose? Or are you going to surprise us?
I'm thinking mine will be green to coordinate with the Neutral light.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Red

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2019 6:52 pm

That would be a nice color next to the main instruments.
Looking forward to the install.

Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 am

I went with blue, easier for me to read. I am red/green colour blind anyway so red may have looked green LOL
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sun May 05, 2019 5:23 pm

So what excuse do you give the cops when you run the traffic lights? Honest Officer, the light looked green to me! ha
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sun May 05, 2019 5:52 pm

tvboy wrote:
So what excuse do you give the cops when you run the traffic lights? Honest Officer, the light looked green to me!  ha

I think the standard is red on top and green on bottom.

Now back in the 60's when I was young, I was driving through Rebecca GA and it was a 2 light traffic light and it was red on bottom.. After I ran the red light my Dad asked me why LOL
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 pm

I installed the Datatool gear indicator on my 07... I tapped into the harness on the right side of the bike but I just can't remember the wire color I used nor the diagram I based my plan of attack from. It was a pain in the gonads to figure this shit out and also program it, that I remember...
And to make matter worse the Datatool only worked for 3 years so I'm done with this bullshit. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Help with Gear Indicator Wiring
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next