GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Help with Gear Indicator Wiring

Go down 
+8
DeepSpace
Richard
Pete Roper
Rushjob
Grisonut
tvboy
beetle
cognosticator
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Rushjob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Rushjob

Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu 09 May 2019, 23:03

When did riders start needing a gear indicator. I missed it.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 00:13

Maybe about the same time riders needed heated grips, different seat, smaller turn signals, etc?
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 02:12

Rushjob wrote:
When did riders start needing a gear indicator. I missed it.

Since I got older and got better things to do than count gear changes.

Now when I am running 70 mph, I know how many rpms I should be turning.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Rushjob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Rushjob

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 06:43

Exactly! I rest my case🤙😃🏍
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 07:14

I have no need for one but if others would like one it's no skin off my nose. (Shrug.)
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 10:22

Maybe a stupid one but HealTech does have a GIpro DS for Aprilia Tuono. Would this one be compatible with the GRiSO should Tuono ECU is equivalent to GRiSO ? scratch

Advantage of the DS vs Xtype is to be connected directly to the diagnosis socket.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 11:12

Doesn't the Tuono run the 5SM/7SM?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 11:14

What healtec told me was the GRiSO diagnostic port does not provide the information needed to run the indicator
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 11:38

beetle wrote:

Doesn't the Tuono run the 5SM/7SM?

All the V4's run the 7SM.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 12:51

Thumbs Up

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Rushjob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Rushjob

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 17:46

I agree. To each their own. Personally I'm waiting for front end collision avoidance and lane position sensors so I don't have to be concerned with crossing over or running wide off the road before buying my next bike. I can simply accelerate while enjoying the view untill it's time to apply the brakes.
YEEHAW! That'll finally be motorcycling @ it's ultimate best!🤙😃🏍
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 18:43

Handle bar heating is nice when its below freezing and you have to drive for 3 hours Smile but the only thing i miss is the abs. abs has saved my ass a few times already Smile
Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri 10 May 2019, 19:31

I Agree with That. ABS Totally Saved me on the Big Bike. I would have been Toast if it wasn't for ABS. Its a Great Feature. At least the GRiSO is a little lighter......
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 22 May 2019, 09:59

Installed & working.

1. Locate the speedo sensor cable connector. If you look down the right side betwixt the frame and the Tupperware near the relays, you'll spy it.

2. Now poke your hand from underneath, and you should be able to pull it down to expose it to your lookenpeepers. The lead from the main loom is very short, maybe 50mm (2 inches). I ran the supplied harness along the right side, from near the steering head, under the frame with the main loom to the speedo sensor connector, along with a seperate wire to connect the harness to the phase sensor.

3. Using the supplied cable taps proved difficult, due to the short lead. Posi-taps would be better, but as I didn't have any,  I decided to solder the lead tails directly to the connector. Fortunately I have the special tool to pop pins out of the connector. I tinned the tails, poked them down inside the crimped pins, then soldered them. After you have connected the harness, poke the connector back up and pull as much of the slack from the harness as possible. Get as much length as you can at the steering head end.

4. Remove the fuel tank. The phase sensor connector is near the alternator.

5. Attach the separate wire you ran with the harness. I trimmed a wee bit of the sheath from the tail from the loom, and used one of the supplied wire taps. Plenty of room here.

6. Mount the gear indicator in your desired location, then connect it to the harness, running the wire neatly down the wires and brake lines.

7. Switch on key. Voila! The "L" means it's in learning mode.

8. Calibrating it is a piece of piss. Start the engine. Let it idle for a bit. The "L" will start to flash a bit faster, then change to "1". Select first gear and proceed with forward motion in the frontal direction. Maintain 3000-4000 RPM's, then after a few seconds it will display "n'' (for 'next'). Change up to second. "2" appears, then after a few seconds, "n". Change to third, then repeat for all gears.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 22 May 2019, 10:21

Thanks Beetle, great writeup and pictures to make it easier for me to do.

Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 22 May 2019, 16:39

Hey Beetle, What type of pin removal tool is required?
I may have one. Is it the hollow tube type or a flat small screw driver type or something completely different? I like the idea of soldering to the pin instead of the clamp-on style.
I assume the phase connector didn't allow for pin removal?

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 22 May 2019, 23:00

It's the hollow tube type.

The phase connector has one of the AMP Superseal connectors. It needs a special tool that I don't have. The funny screwdriver types. I have successfully used a small screwdriver on the Superseal connectors in the past, but this time I couldn't be arsed.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 22 May 2019, 23:26

There are a range of tools, that if you were to stock up for your particular bike will cost you hundreds of dollars, only to be used very sporadically. The AMP (hollow) tool I have cost over $100 by itself. Most of these tools can be made for little or no cost if you have the imagination and time/skills. Tin cans are your friend (no not aluminium), and keep an eye out for small pieces of metal that "look" useful. You could be surprised.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 22 May 2019, 23:38

I have a tube type that may work when/if I decide to do this project.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 05 Jun 2019, 18:15

Beetle, I can't find the speedo connector on my bike. At least not one with the same wire colors. You found yours without removing the body panel that wraps around the seat? That may be my next project. I did find a flat connector with yellow/green and blue wires near the diagnostic connector. It is plugged into nothing. Do you happen to know what that connector is for?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 05 Jun 2019, 19:30

That'll be the dash diagnostic port.

Yeah, my speedo connector was easy to find. Yours could be poked up there anywhere. The rear Tupperware is quite flexible. You should be able to pull it away far enough to see the wiring by removing the three screws along the right side.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 05 Jun 2019, 19:44

Great! Thanks for that. What's the black connector with the cap back by the rear fuse block?
I thought that one was the diag port. Are there two or am I confused?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed 05 Jun 2019, 23:10

Yes, there are two. The dash port is there for software updates to the dash but there have never been any!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu 06 Jun 2019, 00:02

Thanks Pete, That explains a lot.

I did finally locate my speedo cable connector. Geez! Tony didn't do me any favors when he ran that wire but I found it. Not much slack but I have a plan. Also discovered my air filter was much dirtier than I would have expected after 3300 miles. These big engines suck a lot of air! I had only smaller bikes before and filters lasted longer. All good.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon 10 Jun 2019, 10:56

In GRiSO we trust!

Groovitz likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Help with Gear Indicator Wiring
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next