GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

"Special" Lithium Batteries

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

"Special" Lithium Batteries Empty
PostSubject: "Special" Lithium Batteries   "Special" Lithium Batteries Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:43 pm

On the way to the Ruptured Budgie, we had a "failed to proceed" event at Inverell. Turns out the GRiSO with us had had no problems until that morning. On an attempt to start, a clunk and then everything dead.

A real head scratcher! Multimeter across the battery and nothing - no volts at all! Disconnect battery and use the meter - 12.5 Volts, what?

Tried another start, same, sweep of the instruments, while monitoring the battery voltage, still 12.5 Volts, attempted start, clunk and everything dead again.

we tried this several times before it dawned on us that the battery was shutting itself down when it failed to start - I can only assume this is to protect the battery internals from a full discharge.

Since I didn't take my bike, we had no jumper leads. A quick drive to Supercheap auto to get some jumper leads, back to the bike and hook it all up to the car and it starts. So nothing wrong with the bike per se. Off to the local bike shop to try and find a battery to fit. Unable to get a Lithium in the right configuration so a lead acid was duly purchased and deployed. Bike now starts.

The Li battery may be recoverable but has left a bloke a few hundred dollars lighter just to get to the rally.

What will they think of next?

Just be careful when testing and take your jumper leads with you...
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: "Special" Lithium Batteries   "Special" Lithium Batteries Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:07 am

Yeah I had one do the same. Not good on a daily runner so it's back to lead for the GRiSO. Not a problem in the laverda and ducati because they dont go anywhere Very Happy
Back to top Go down
G5_Griso
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
G5_Griso

PostSubject: Re: "Special" Lithium Batteries   "Special" Lithium Batteries Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:06 am

A lithium-battery in a battery-compartment inside a plastic-tank full of gas?
I hope you know what you are doing...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Special" Lithium Batteries   "Special" Lithium Batteries Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

"Special" Lithium Batteries
Page 1 of 1