GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Lithium batteries in the US

Go down 
+14
Diablo Loco
GRD
EricS
MrGPz
Papa Lazarou
Steak
DangWangi
charliebigonions
Pete Roper
wardentm
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
klaas123
LBC Tenni
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Lithium batteries in the US Empty
PostSubject: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:27 pm

My Yuasa is on its way out and I'm wondering if anyone in the US has found a good lithium replacement. All I can find from my usual sources is Shorai, which I understand are not so good. scratch
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:40 pm

SSB Powersport, I and others, have found to be very good. I use a LH14-BS in my Sport, which is the same as a GRiSO. Smaller battery allows small things to be kept under the battery between its legs.
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:09 pm

This one is stronger and fits the GRiSO with the original mounting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
SSB Powersport, I and others, have found to be very good. I use a LH14-BS in my Sport, which is the  same as a GRiSO. Smaller battery allows small things to be kept under the battery between its legs.

Yes! Things like wideband controller, flask of bourbon, weed stash...

Are SSB's available in the US?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:52 pm

klaas123 wrote:
This one is stronger and fits the GRiSO with the original mounting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yes but, extra strength is not needed, as a good Lithium will outcrank a Lead/Acid any day - all the battery is doing under normal circumstances is starting your engine. Extra capacity after this is a moot point as the alternator takes over supply of electricity for normal running purposes. At the end of the day, if you have more Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) available than is needed for your engine you are wasting the extra capacity. That's why Todd offers 3 batteries in 16, 12 & 8 capacities - all of these are better than the lead acid specified
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks fellas! Tony, I had found some of your earlier posts on this topic and Googled SSB. Looks like it's only to be had in Oz. Here it seems Shorai is the favored brand of most suppliers and it looks to be the only brand with a reasonable price tag. I'll try to find one with the same specs as the SSB you are using. I'm done with lead acid boat anchors!
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:57 pm

Wow
That lithium, $290 usd, thats $414 auds
If you added postage it would be well over $500 auds
Way too rich for me, I reacon I could get possibly 3 or 4 ordinaries
Keep smilin
Caoi
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm

LBC - do yourself a favour and skip the Shorai. In a nutshell, CRAP. Lash out with GuzziTech or another premium supplier for a new battery. 12-16 A/H rating is all you need. Just ensure the terminals are the right way around...

I obtained Shorai for a project here at work (purchased 3). These are now defunct with one of the dying within weeks. Warranty: "You did not use them as designed, so no warranty" - lucky I am not paying the bill for them. Others have had terminals break on them - a tad inconvenient, I might say!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:52 pm

The standard Yuasa (just had a price rise) YTX20CH-BS has a RRP AUD$265. Bike shops would make 100% + profit.
Yet I happily retail them for $185.

I have a tiny Shorai in my Bellagio, no problems in 3 years. I will heed Tony's advice should it ever fail.
Wardy, google around and you should find a local supplier who will still ship to the little island.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:08 pm

In the south island:

Tasmania
HOBART
Independant Battery Distributors
1/29 Lampton Avenue
DERWENT PARK TAS 7006
Tel: (03) 6272 1033
Fax: (03) 6273 0955

Not so squeezy after all...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:55 pm

You can buy the SSB's online. As they don't weigh anything, shipping is cheap (or free).

I have the LFP20CH in my GRiSO.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Bikemaster DLFP-20CH-BS lithium battery is en route to my GRiSO. $160 shipped, no tax. We shall see what says GRiSO. I gather one must be careful about stashing things in the space around the smaller battery. Lithium + short = smoked moto. Lots of scary stories on the interwebs.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:02 pm

GRiSO says vahruuum! With an authority not heard on lead-acid. cheers Lithium is good.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:13 pm

bounce
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:05 am

beetle wrote:
You can buy the SSB's online. As they don't weigh anything, shipping is cheap (or free).

I have the LFP20CH in my GRiSO.

Linky? I've had bad experiences with Shorai but the SSB's seem to be the shitz. I'm having a few issues with recent Yuassas so it might be time to be brave!

Pete

PS. SHIT! I forgot to put that mid pipe in the mail. Sorry Mark.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:59 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

Linky?

Bay of fleas seems to have the cheapest.

LINKY

Quote :
PS. SHIT! I forgot to put that mid pipe in the mail. Sorry Mark.

Well, I think I'm gonna need it. The intermediate pipe slips onto my Arrow midpipe like a finger in a bum. It will not go easily onto the pretzel.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:20 pm

No worries, I'll get it off to you as soon as I'm home unless you're going to Canberra again. If you are I could let Bec know you're coming and you could grab it out of the munt pile!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:23 pm

No plans to. Plans change daily. Smile

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
charliebigonions
Carlotto
Carlotto
charliebigonions

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:02 pm

You may have already sorted this out but I would have thought Anti Gravity batteries would have popped up high on the interwebs search for lithium batteries in the US. Expensive but worth the pennnies.

I've had one in my GRiSO 1100 for about 4 years with no probs at all. Saved about 4kg from the lead acid unit and never a need to trickle charge for any amount of time.

Can't comment on SSB. Seems like others here are happy with them also.

I'm wary of the Shorai though. I don't think I'll ever buy that brand. Met a couple from US (east coast) at the MG museum back in 2014 who told of their having to re-build their burnt down house. Lot's of aggravation, court cases and settlement.
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Tue May 17, 2016 7:16 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:
My Yuasa is on its way out and I'm wondering if anyone in the US has found a good lithium replacement. All I can find from my usual sources is Shorai, which I understand are not so good. scratch

I picked up a Ballistic for my Honda 599 (https://www.ballisticparts.com/) and it's been a champ going on 5 years and no issues although I do remove it and bring it inside during the Chicago winters.  That said, when I first got it, about  three days after I installed it, my regulator/rectifier crapped out unbeknownst to me and one day after coming home from a ride....POW!!! sounded like a shot-gun and started smoking for a good 30 minutes...without the R/R it essentially overcharged the battery.  Thankfully, they guys at Ballistic sent me a new one free of charge even though it wasn't the battery's fault.  I might get one for the MG when the time comes. Here are some photos I posted to the Honda 599 forum:  Google Drive Photos
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2016 3:35 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:
GRiSO says vahruuum! With an authority not heard on lead-acid. cheers Lithium is good.

How was the fit with the Bikemaster? It's way cheaper than the Antigravity one so I'd go with the bikemaster too to save some $ but I'm curious if you had to shim-up around it. I have a Ballistic in my Honda and had to fill the compartment gaps with some of the foam packing material as recommended by Ballistic. Does the original locking bracket work with it or does the batter just sit in its home securely?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Here is a pic DW. The Bikemaster is slightly smaller than the stocker, but the locking bracket still works if you shim the bottom with the included foam. I did have to bend the connectors on the leads a little flatter so they could attach from the front rather than the sides. The stock setup attaching from the sides caused some chafing of paint and plastic. The battery is very strong and no need to charge. If it lasts like it should I'll have no complaint. Go for it. Most brands are made in China or use Chinese components assembled elsewhere to claim another country of origin. The truth is most are Chinese regardless of what the label says. Don't pay a premium for a brand name or country of origin on the label.

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Hmmmm, all my stockers have the terminals connected from the front. I think someone must have connected your previous battery incorrectly...

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2016 10:43 pm

I just assumed it was one of the features making it a "Special" Edition. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lithium batteries in the US   Lithium batteries in the US Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Lithium batteries in the US
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next