GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!

Go down 
+3
Kiwi_Roy
GuzziSteve
Red Leader
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Empty
PostSubject: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:37 am

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if someone can offer me a bit of advice.

I really love my GRiSO so am sad to say it's starting a bit weird.
This is what happened yesterday & the day before.
1. I press the start button the engine cranks & fires once or twice then stalls.
2. I press the start button again & the engine fires up turning over very slow perhaps 1 or 2 revolutions then picks up to 'normal' idle speed.
3. The bike rides fine.

When I got home last night having ridden the bike back I turned off the engine & immediately tried starting it again. The bike fired up straight away so I am thinking it's an issue when the engine is cold?
I ride the bike everyday & it's been raining lots.
My bike sits out all day in the rain at work so do you think it might be an issue with parts just being too wet? It really has hammered down here on my rides to work.

I've done a bit of web reading so maybe it's the stepper motor?
I have looked in the parts manual for a stepper motor but I don't think that's what MG call it.
Does anybody know what it's called in the parts catalogue & also where it's located?
There's a Ghetto post about spraying it with carb cleaner so is it just a case of mullering the throttle bodies with spray or do I have to remove more (I'm happy to remove anything necessary!!!)???

Sorry for hassling/ being thick/ relying on you guys!!!
If anyone has any sage comments please feel free to chip in; I'd appreciate it.
Maybe it's not the stepper motor?

Cheers & all the best
Rich
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:07 am

You may want to clean the throttle bodies and air bleed screws. Sound like a stepper deal though. Many riders have the opposite high idle after warmed up and not dropping down.
If it hasn't had a tune lately I'd sync & set TB's and reset TPS. Sometimes this is all that is needed for idle to come back.
If you had software you could check all that.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:13 am

The Stepper is in between the two throttles

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The hose to the left ends just out of sight, it fits on a spigot of the airbox.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:57 pm

All I can say is that you should always post your queries in the guise of an Italian flag (although I think you've got it inverted? - Hungarian, maybe? Anyway,very classy!

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:46 am

Cheers for the replies!!
Saturday today so I'm off down the garden to my garage for a look at the stepper.

Steve,
Funniy enough I did go through a period of about 3 weeks, maybe more in (the bleak) mid winter where the bike woud idle high a few times (2000ish rpm sort of thing)....  I just ignored it due to me not being abe to face dealing with it in the freezing tempertures............ then it went away! So I guess it's a stepper issue.
I've aways been a bit scared of the TPS reset etc due to it invoving me having to use a computer but I think I'm just going to have to buy the necessary software & leads & face my fears!

Roy,
Thanks for the pic! Just what I needed... so it's tank-off time!

Pete,
You got it!!!

Thanks again.... will update later.

"....I'm going in......................... "
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Got right in there today with carb cleaner & now my bike's starting normally.
I'm happy again!
I'm going to get that software & tackle the throttle balance/reset stuff.

Cheers to all
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Tally Ho Red Leader,
Good job ol boy, but yes, time to jolly well face down the computer bogie that's on your six!
Get the leads, plug him in, add a BeetleMap, then its chocks away to Guzzi Nirvana with all guns blazing!
I say, Ding Dong!!
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:52 am

Bahamazoo,
Cheers!
Bike started fine this morning as well!!!! Nice!

Well, last night I spent a few hours looking at the Guzzidiag stuff on here & the Beetle map stuff as well.
It got a bit complicated & I'm in a bit over my head.

So far I have managed to downloaded the software & give the people who wrote it some cash.
I also got the .exe for the cable drivers so a big thanks to Paul Daytona for the link as that saved me some grief!
Next up, I'll order the Lonelec cables. then I shall be hitting the forum with lots of stupid questions about it all!

I webbed up TPS to see what it actually means (Throttle Position Sensor!)...I know my way around a 376 monobloc or a Bing but Fuel Injection is a whole new world.

I'm guessing after 13 years, the bike could do with a throttle balance & TPS re-set.

Cheers everyone....steel yourselves for my pestering questions soon enough (probably this evening when I start this process in earnest!).

I love this bike!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
okuraner
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
okuraner

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 am

From Moto Guzzi AllegatoM_6055

SUBJECT :  Starting failure with warm engine
APPLICABILITY: BREVA 850/1100/1200, GRiSO 850/1100, NORGE 850/1200,1200 SPORT 2V
SYMPTOMS: starting failure with warm engine.
CAUSE: Insufficient cross section of the +12V wire energising the starter relay
SOLUTION:
a) Identify the starter relay (orange/yellow, yellow, brown/pink and red/black cables)
b) Remove the relay and detach the Faston connector from orange/yellow cable, pushing the tab down with a pin.
c) Prepare the additional length of cable (cross section 2.5mm2, as long as necessary)
d) Fit the Faston connector with the tab on the relay connector instead of the orange/yellow cable.
e) Insulate the Faston connector from the previously disconnected orange/yellow cable.
f) Disconnect the Faston connector from the starter motor and fasten to the wiring harness with a clamp to prevent it from dropping onto the silencer.
g) Connect the Faston on the additional cable in place of the old Faston connector.
h) Fasten the additional cable with the same clamp used to secure the starter cables
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:56 am

Hi Okuraner,

Did you mean to post the info' on this subject?
I think my weird start was due to my stepper needing a clean rather than the engine being hot. It probably didn't help that my fuel cap drain hole was blocked yet again & was pooling in the fuel filler rim.
It's starting to warm up here in England although I should imagine it's pretty hot in Ankara right now!

Here's something annoying: My Menu set button doesn't work! Found out when I was all set to plug in Guzzidiag for the first time so I'm still waiting to re-set TPS.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:38 pm

mmm is the GRiSO different? The Sport doesn't need any menu button input for Guzzidiag... scratch
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Nope. No need to touch the mode button when using Guzzidiag..... scratch
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:01 am

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the Menu button information.
Through my fear & ignorance I'd assumed that when connecting the software I'd have to scroll through the menus on the dash to select some kind of option that tells the bike it needs to talk to the diagnostic software... but that's not the case, thankfully.

As it goes, Beetle got back to me as well telling me that I don't need to use the menu button as I have one of his maps that I'd like to install.
That's pleasing to know. I'll be TPSing & mapping at the weekend so shall report back.

Again, my thanks to all who chip in with sage info'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!   2006 GRiSO staring not quite right! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

2006 GRiSO staring not quite right!
Page 1 of 1