GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

400 miles in one day

Go down 
+4
paulbrice
Merl3noir
Pete Roper
McCarthy1983
8 posters
AuthorMessage
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

400 miles in one day Empty
PostSubject: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 pm

So, based near London, UK, have weekend planned to see friends in Edinburgh, milage is around 400miles. Have secured parking sorted in the City centre. My only conundrum is, do I train/fly it like any non-biker would, or treat it as an adventure and take the GRiSO?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 am

If you're just planning a drone up and down the M1 or M6 I'd rather do it in comfort on the train! If you have time to spare why not do something like drone up to York and then get onto the smaller roads through the North Yorkshire moors or Northumbria?

My own experience on recent trips to the UK is that everywhere below that imaginary line from the Bristol Channel to The Wash is a huge, stinking Wenn that is in permanent gridlock anywhere off the motorways. Riding it would be about as enjoyable as whacking my knob with a meat tenderiser! Once you're above that line things start to get better and the North East is still spectacularly beautiful and the roads clear enough to be enjoyable.

200 miles is nothing over here, we'll almost ride that far for pizza! In the UK it is probably still seen as a 'Big Trip' and as such I'd guess it really depends on how long it will take and how much extra time you can take to deviate from the 'Drone'. If you have to 'Drone' a lot it might be worth getting a spare set of wheels and putting the hardest set of tyres you can find on them! At least that way you can save your 'Good' tyres for having fun!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Merl3noir
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Merl3noir

PostSubject: Re: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:18 am

Personally, when ever possible I choose to travel by 2 wheels. Even a bad day riding in traffic is better than going by public transit or driving. My only hesitation would be that London to Edinburgh is a long time sitting in a car or  train, but especially on a bike. So kind of depends how much your a masochist, or an iron butt. If you have a little extra time to stretch your legs, then take the bike is my vote. If your not certain you want to arrive worn out from the ride, I'd get the torture over as quickly as possible and fly.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:58 pm

Take the GRiSO - roads & scenery (even if you mainly go motorway) just get better and better as you move North; and if you have time to go off M-ways even better fun to be had.

I originally bought BMW & quickly switched to GRiSO for occasional long haul work rides & used to do Manchester-London Bridge area-Walton-sometimes Guildford-Manchester in a day (450 miles ish, meetings & calls along the way) as often as I had chance & even loved riding through London ....helped that I could expense the mileage & snacks at same time.
Back to top Go down
2cylinderguy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
2cylinderguy

PostSubject: Re: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Having driven back and forth quite a lot to Scotland in the early 2000's, I would say get the train. A 400 mile day is a lot when its on great roads. 400 miles of motorway (especially British motorway) is the stuff of nightmares.
Back to top Go down
Steveo
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Steveo

PostSubject: Re: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 am

My experience of the train from Edinburgh to London last September was OK but then I had a seat, probably about a third of the passengers had to stand.
Be warned

Steve
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:20 pm

I use the A1 (London to Edinburgh) and it is busy at times but more than doable on a bike. If the weather is pretty shitty go on the train due the lack of protection on the GRiSO, me personally I wouldn't think twice, the bike everytime.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:19 am

Pete Roper wrote:
If you're just planning a drone up and down the M1 or M6 I'd rather do it in comfort on the train! If you have time to spare why not do something like drone up to York and then get onto the smaller roads through the North Yorkshire moors or Northumbria?

Pete

And again at about 4:14...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:23 am

Half of Yorkshire is under water at the moment so if the werewolves don't get you the floods will.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 400 miles in one day   400 miles in one day Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

400 miles in one day
Page 1 of 1