GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal

Go down 
+8
2 geese
Grisonut
Ditchfinder
2highlander
beetle
Street
Pete Roper
OldMojo
12 posters
AuthorMessage
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm

This thing will need tires someday.

With no frame rails to lift with, what is the best way?

I don't have a lot of garage space to spare, so I've contemplated mounting a winch on the wall and lifting it from above via an ingenious system of cables and pulleys, Wile E. Coyote style.

Perhaps that's just madness - show me the light!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Tie the front down and use a scissor lift under the sump with a piece of wood on it for the rear. For the front simply stabilise the bike and once again lift under the sump, the rearward weight bias means the front comes up easily.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Street wrote:

My God, that's glorious.

So that looks like about 3/4" shaft stock ran through the swingarm pivot?

Are you strapped to the triple tree or the bars?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Not the swingarm pivot, the frame hole behind the 'Pork Chops'. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a workspace like Pete though. Laughing  We're going to do something similar in Michael's new worship with a winch though.

We finally got his new oil over electric bench out of the back of my van today and I was grizzling that the council is taking forever to approve running the mains power out to the shed. Nathan, who was taking some time off from spying to help us get the bench out said "Oh, didn't know you were waiting for power. I've got a 2Kva petrol genny sitting gathering dust at home. I'll get it going and you can have it until the council pull their heads out of their collective arses!" More win for us!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 pm

I highly recommend the Becker-Technik service stand. If you can't get one, the Kiwi Roy DIY stand ( plans on this forum ) works a treat.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:28 pm

This is my approach ...
Back to top Go down
Ditchfinder
Carlotto
Carlotto
Ditchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:09 pm

So I've got an abba stand Which I used on my KTM. Had anyone tried to modify one to use with the GRiSO using either the same point as the Becker or the big frame hole above the swingarm pivot?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Yes. It wasn't an Abba brand stand, but same principle. I couldn't make it work. I used the cross-frame hole and the rear gearbox to frame mount with a custom fabricated attachment.

GRiSO felt like it was going to nose dive onto the garage floor. The weight bias is too far forward to find a good place to attach the stand.

Or perhaps the stand was rubbish, or I'm mechanically inept. Maybe both.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:46 pm

OldMojo wrote:
My God, that's glorious.

So that looks like about 3/4" shaft stock ran through the swingarm pivot?

Are you strapped to the triple tree or the bars?

Here's a more detailed description of the lifting bar I made for this purpose:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And in answer to your question, the front sling is run through the handlebar riser clamps. There's relatively little weight on it, its mainly to level and stabilize the load.

Works with Stelvio too.

Even sidecars!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am

Although it's nice to have one, you don't need a hoist.
3/4 bar through the zephyr hole and a jack stand on each side for the bar to rest on (providing said bar is long enough) and a basic floor jack under the sump to lift the bike and you're there.
That's how I do it. I did post pics about that when I rigged my GIVI saddle bags a while back...
On the 2012 (?) and later, you will need to have built in washers on that bar in order to avoid buggering the chrome plastic rings around the frame hole.
On earlier models like my 07 and 09, that washer is built in the frame so no need to sweat it.
Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi
I use a Condor wheel chock,put front wheel in and jack at rear shock.pull rear off and change tire. Back rear tire onto wheel chock,jack at front of oil pan juck up change front tire.. works good.

Last edited by 2 geese on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Never mind lifting Grisos! Nathan the Spy and his lovely wife Mel lent us their generator until the useless bastards at council approve the power for Michael's temporary workshop. We serviced it and got it running like a champ so now his new oil over electric bench is up and running!

This puppy will lift up to 700Kg. It won't even quail at MGX21's! cheers

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Awesome!

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Yeah. And if he buggers me about I just push his chair onto it, raise it to its highest position and leave the control out of reach! That'll teach him some bloody respect! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:03 am

^^^^^
I nearly snorted my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:40 am

^^^^^^^^

Ditto, but with coffee. Hot, too. Shocked

Bill
Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:00 am

Thanks for all the replies- I might or might not have struck upon the bar through the frame hole method, but now I'll know to get some spacers welded on ahead of time.

Can I conclude that the jack under the sump will lift the whole bike, or will she tip fore or aft without further support?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:18 am

Will tip aft unless tied down at the front. Guzzis have a 40/60 weight bias roughly.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:38 pm

For short term rear wheel removal- tyre change, puncture repair etc.
Bike on side stand, ice hockey puck on trolley jack and lift under the ‘dog bone’ lower suspension link. Just raise the rear wheel 15mm and everything feels stable.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:22 am

Here's my solution
This simple rig also allows removal of the swing arm if the LH side plate is removed first.

Through the Luigi hole I have a length of 1/2" pipe with a ready rod to hold it all together.
It takes about 30 Seconds to get it on the stand, It spends all winter with the back wheel off the ground.
The two side plates are bolted on with the bike on side stand then its just a matter of standing it up while kicking the block under the short side.

I wouldn't normally use a stack of wood to hold the front off, I have a jack. In this case I had taken both wheels in for new rubber.

Note: Some Luigi holes would need spacers to keep the pipe from breaking the plastic bits, mine came with a washer in each end.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal   Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Lifting a GRiSO for wheel removal
Page 1 of 1