GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO fault fixes

Go down 
+2
paulbrice
Humble1200
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Humble1200
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Humble1200

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:27 am

Hi All

My 2015 GRiSO is moving towards that time when I need to think about all rectifying all the design and build issues that are likely to trip me up in the future. Prevention being the key to being left stranded. Currently there are no displaying faults.

I've learnt a lot from reading this forum and so thank you; my short list of must do items are as follows. I do all my own servicing and so please assuming the bike is in good standard trim.

1. Re grease steering head bearings.
2. Re grease swinging arm and suspension linkages.
3. Replace internal fuel pipes in tank.
4. Upgrade associated starter wiring.

If there are any other must do items I would be grateful for any advice.

Kind regards
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:34 pm

I've done 1 & 2 as they are key; so let me know if you want my write up & pictures (PM me and I'll email them to you).
Not sure about 3 or 4 as 'must do' in absence of any symptoms - I've done 36K miles without taking tank internals out & I won't be anytime soon (I've read stuff about fuel lines & swelling filters); and I've never had starting issues despite it's an 09 bike with an 8 year old battery (on tender always Wink ).....so last two I'd wait until problems start...

....Not sure if condensation in instrument cluster continued to 2015 but I use a 1kg car dehumidifier in a Tesco bag over the instruments when parked in garage to avoid it this time of year... think most other stuff needed is either straight service items (fork seals & oil, clutch & brake fluid etc) or 'enhancements' like LED headlamp & blinkers, tail tidy, radial brake & clutch controls, etc etc
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:27 pm

The fuel line issue was rectified during the period of the 1100's. Your bike is unlikely to suffer any issues.

Startus interuptus mod is easy and cheap insurance. Having said that I've never done it on my bike.

As long as it's tuned correctly that's about it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Did startus interuptus affect the GRiSO? The problem for the other CARC bikes was the power for the starter motor was provided through the ignition key (a long journey from the battery to the starter motor). The 1200 GRiSO isn't wired this way.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Certainly the dreaded SI symptoms can affect 1200 GRiSO's. I'll take your word as to the cause being different as when it occurs we just plumb in a supplemental relay.

Pete
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:17 pm

Mine is a 2011 and recently required the starter relay fix. I used the plug and play kit from MPH Cycles. Check the thread linked below. Toward the bottom of the thread I posted a link to the MPH kit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Humble1200
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Humble1200

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:37 am

Thanks All. I will focus on 1 and 2 for the time being and complete the nearly due full service.

Beetle map planned and thats about it I guess. Appreciate your help and advice.

Paul, I will defo PM you when ready. Thanks for the kind offer.

BTW. I have had long ownerships with Laverdas, Benellis and other Guzzis in the past and I now only own one bike and its the best of the lot overall IMHO. Perhaps doesn't excel in certain areas as the others before but overall, as a relatively modern roadster it really does take some beating. Interestingly it is one of the few bikes in the UK that doesnt come up for sale very often and gets snapped up quickly for strong money when they do. So pleased I bought one before they went off sale in the UK..........Keeper. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:48 am

kiwi dave wrote:
Did startus interuptus affect the GRiSO?  The problem for the other CARC bikes was the power for the starter motor was provided through the ignition key (a long journey from the battery to the starter motor).  The 1200 GRiSO isn't wired this way.

My 2007 GRiSO is not wired through the ignition switch, the start relay was wired direct through a fuse but the wire between relay and solenoid is too tiny, I upgraded that wire on mine and it dropped the time to pull the solenoid in from 50 to 15 millisecond.
Later on the 4 valve motors were re-wired to run through the ignition switch.

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:52 am

kiwi dave wrote:
Did startus interuptus affect the GRiSO?  The problem for the other CARC bikes was the power for the starter motor was provided through the ignition key (a long journey from the battery to the starter motor).  The 1200 GRiSO isn't wired this way.

I'm not sure when they changed over, my 2007 is not wired through the switch but it did have too small a wire from relay to solenoid
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Fuse C NOT through the Ignition.

Here is the later wiring where they reverted to fuse 2 through the ignition
Think peak current in excess of 40 Amps

Here's another one, not a GRiSO but shows start relay fed straight from fuse 4, this bike would never suffer SI

BTW the solenoid as they show it is complete nonsense, there are two coils inside.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GRiSO fault fixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO fault fixes   GRiSO fault fixes Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO fault fixes
Page 1 of 1