GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket

Go down 
+2
Oz1200Guzzi
GhostBullet
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GhostBullet
Biondino
Biondino
GhostBullet

Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Empty
PostSubject: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi, Over the weekend, did a big trip away. Thankfully made it back home, with front brakes all good.

The pictures show what happened. Been looking for a spare part cover, second hand.
Hoping for either a part or to be able to make a repair that could work[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:43 pm

I have repaired similar but it's a right royal PITA to do - and still it is only temporary (and not really up to the task - more like limp home). I have used 1.6 mm Al sheet, cut to the right size, bashed into shape (gently of course) and lots of little drilled and tapped holes to bolt it all together.

However, this is only good until you either get a new one or a "road tested" one. Cast alloy is not a forgiving subject, to rework.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:34 pm

Should be able to be welded up easily enough, my mate Jon did it with his after he tossed it. It's not a high stress area.
Back to top Go down
GhostBullet
Biondino
Biondino
GhostBullet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:49 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Should be able to be welded up easily enough, my mate Jon did it with his after he tossed it. It's not a high stress area.

I am thinking the same... only moderate pressure is applied, estimate nothing more than 10-15 kg.
Waiting to hear back from a local shop that does bike and alloy welding.

Will be sure to throw up here the outcome. Smile

I like the idea of doing away with the plate all together, but that would likely
result in some issue with the rear pilling rest.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:11 pm

JB weld.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:35 am

I use JB Weld too, but I don't think it would be up to this task.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:12 pm

I could weld it for you, GB, but it would probably cost more to ship it here and back than to buy a new one. There must be someone there who can stick it back together for you. And no, JB Weld probably wouldn't hold.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
GhostBullet
Biondino
Biondino
GhostBullet

PostSubject: Re: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:21 am

Today got it sorted, a great guy in Christchurch sorted the issue with no trouble at all. 80 bucks and job done. He added a little to the back of the weld to strengthen a little.
Fitted and works just fine.

Now just giving a bit of a service, the idle has been running around 2k for most of the trip away.
Checked and set the valve clearances, TPS and Auto learn reset. Was playing up a little just before I finished for the night, the last run seemed to be good....
But if tomorrow still problem, will clean the throttle bodies and go from there.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:45 pm

Thumbs Up

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket   Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Broken Rear Brake Lever Bracket
Page 1 of 1