GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Gear box oil in transmission?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

Gear box oil in transmission? Empty
PostSubject: Gear box oil in transmission?   Gear box oil in transmission? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:54 pm

At first service the local authorized Guzzi dealer put Gear Box oil in both the Gear Box ( Good! ) and the Transmission...I just realized this after looking at some old receipts.  Any cause for concern after riding it 8000 KM like that before I changed it to the oils per the shop book? Question

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thats not per shop book

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil in transmission?   Gear box oil in transmission? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:01 pm

Don't worry about it for a second. While there may be some exacting engineering principle why the very slight specification difference is listed for the two components the long and the short of it is that it will make precisely zero difference. I use Penrite 75/90 in both gearbox and bevelbox on all models apart from V7's which specify an 85/140 for the bevelbox. I've never seen an oil related failure in either a 'Nuovo six speed' or a CARC bevelbox, it really is a complete non issue.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil in transmission?   Gear box oil in transmission? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 am

Pisano, I would be more concerned by "Non stock shop supply - grease". What did they grease, why did they charge you for it? Oh I forgot the grease nipples all over the bike.

You can't find yours...

I would be very surprised if they greased anything, unless it was the swing arm bearings, the dog-bone bearings or the steering-head bearings - you would have seen a huge labour cost if that was the case. Is this a "standard" charge that just slips through?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil in transmission?   Gear box oil in transmission? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:59 am

And one supposes they charged for re-setting the service icon! What a pack of 'tards! It takes 30 seconds and it's done through the dashboard. Pour scorn on such people!

How much did this service cost you?

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil in transmission?   Gear box oil in transmission? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:52 am

Thanks Guys.  That puts me at ease.  I had the bevel box go south on the Cal II for some reason and brought back memories.

That grease was for the suspension linkage and swing arm bearings.  A total of 3 hours labour for the whole service.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil in transmission?   Gear box oil in transmission? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:37 am

Pisano wrote:

That grease was for the suspension linkage and swing arm bearings.  A total of 3 hours labour for the whole service.

Really? Well they skimped on something. Greasing the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings requires removal of the footrest hanger plates, the bevelbox, swingarm, linkage and wishbone and exhaust. We've done a lot of them on multiple models and although the GRiSO is one of the easiest it's still a two hour job.

A thorough service and tune including valves, oils and filters, brake and clutch bleed, throttle body balance etc. we usually bill out at 3 to 3.5 hrs depending on what we actually have to do so how they managed to do all that in three hours and grease the swingarm bearings and shock linkage is really a bit beyond me...... scratch
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil in transmission?   Gear box oil in transmission? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:21 pm

sadly there was no clutch / brake bleed or throttle body balance.  oh did I mention that my kickstand nut fell off about 500 km after first service ? so no retorqing either  pale   .  If I knew then what I know now.....

I did the throttle body balance myself with ghetto instructions after a beattle map.  supper happy with how that played out.  I'll have to do the the other things you mention as well soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil in transmission?   Gear box oil in transmission? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Gear box oil in transmission?
Page 1 of 1