GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Carc removal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Humble1200
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Humble1200

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:36 am

Hi All. I'm taking this opportunity to carry out the swinging arm and suspension linkage re greasing.

All looks fairly straight forward but can I ask what is the easiest way to separate the CARC from the swinging arm and do I need to drain the hub oil?

Also, what is the best sealant to use when re assembling?

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:20 am

I used Black Loctite SI 5980 (from Halfords) as sealant for CARC...not sure it's that important what you use as it doesn't seal anything in that I'm aware of, beyond sealing in leaks !....and if you're too liberal I'm guessing it might make it hard to remove next time . I'll PM you and send you my 'picture/word report how I tackled it & what went right/wrong.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:49 pm

The biggest issue with post 2008 models is that they started sticking the bevelboxes to the swingarm with silastic. This makes them a king sized pain in the arse to remove!

Once all the bolts are out you can usually separate the box by applying suitably vigorous beating with a big rubber mallet but my preferred method is to use a bottle jack between the shock linkage and the ABS sensor mount on the base of the bevelbox to force it apart.

Care has to be taken as the silastic, which they use enthusiastically, will tend to try and stick the oval front boot retainer to the swingarm so as the box separates you may need to pry it gently away from the end of the arm. Make sure you support the box as it separates. It is heavy!

The only reason they started using the silastic is because early models sometimes got a mist of oil around the join due to the sealing of the front boot depending on the clamping force applied to the oval front boot retainer, (Actually its more rectangular than oval but it has rounded corners, you'll see what I mean when you get the box off.) when the box is bolted up. While they very rarely *Leak* the misting was sufficient to provoke wingeing from those prone to winge and hence the embuggerance of the silastic.

When reinstalling the box I never use anything to seal it, the residual crap from the factory just squishes itself back into place but it will come off easier next time.

Note that if you actually get a real messy leak from anywhere around the join it will usually be from the rearmost brake hose clip on the swingarm. If you get drips or just a build up of oily grime here it will be because either the front seal has gone on the bevelbox or the gearbox output shaft seal has let go. Which one can usually be ascertained by looking up the swingarm for evidence of oil running down from the front end. Nine times out of ten it will be the bevelbox seal.
Back to top Go down
Humble1200
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Humble1200

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 am

Thanks Paul and Pete

I will review the PM and go from there. I thought it was a bit weird that sealant was used. It was much easier with the wife's V7, it just fell off!

Appreciate your respective help and will update when progress ahs been made...

Kind regards
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:42 am

I've tried sending PM twice & it's getting stuck in Outbox, not sure why.....either way here's the link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Would follow Pete's advice if i did it again & not use sealant at all
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 am

Paul it stays in the Outbox until read...
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:27 am

Ahhhhh....Thanks for that Wink ....
Back to top Go down
Humble1200
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Humble1200

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:20 am

Just thought i'd update upon completion.
Quite straight forward. Hardest bit was scrabbling over the floor to carry out the work with limited space.

Rear hub came off with a couple of taps with a rubber mallet. I found that the sealant wasn't continuous and so this left some tiny gaps that allowed moisture into the internal. Poor attention to detail. I also found one of the rear suspension linkage nut and bolt was cross threaded. Swinging arm had modest grease application and head bearings were normal. Now all well packed.

Thanks for the advice and to Paul for sending me a couple of links. Couldn't open this end due to security reasons but managed OK. looking forward to the next ride...........
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:54 pm

cheers I call that a win !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Carc removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carc removal   Carc removal Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Carc removal
Page 1 of 1