GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Motor Oil - What do you use?

Go down 
+11
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
Leone
sideshowbob
rick pope
ratso88
MotoJezek
Xcountry41
Kiwi_Roy
paulbrice
gpranzo
15 posters
AuthorMessage
gpranzo
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
gpranzo

Motor Oil - What do you use? Empty
PostSubject: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Sun May 10, 2020 10:51 am

Has anyone tried yet the new Motul 8100? Seems to be a bargain right now on Amazon [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I've used the 7100 as everyone else and was about to shift to the Liqui Moly brand when I noticed the Motul 8100. It does not seem to be endorsed for Moto use, but nor is the Liqui Moly.

Curious about your opinions before I invest on some stock of this for my GRiSO and for my Stelvio

Thank you,

Giorgio
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 am

It exceeds the specs (cos specs moved on from point that MG set them) laid out by MG for 1200 GRiSO 8V (per manual)....."endorsement" doesn't really mean anything once vehicles are out of production and/or they stop updating their owner manual pages.
Back to top Go down
gpranzo
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
gpranzo

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Sun May 10, 2020 11:38 am

paulbrice wrote:
It exceeds the specs (cos specs moved on from point that MG set them) laid out by MG for 1200 GRiSO 8V (per manual)....."endorsement" doesn't really mean anything once vehicles are out of production and/or they stop updating their owner manual pages.

Thank you Paul, makes sense. I appreciate your fast feedback.
I wonder why Motul would make the 7100 for motorcycle and the 8100 for auto use. I guess if they can charge more for no real good reason why not eh?
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Sun May 10, 2020 7:36 pm

I have been using it for a long time, its also what our local dealer recommends, Agip is not readily available in Canada, Motul is available at lots of places.
Back to top Go down
Xcountry41
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Xcountry41

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Sun May 10, 2020 8:16 pm

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
I have been using it for a long time, its also what our local dealer recommends, Agip is not readily available in Canada, Motul is available at lots of places.
Hi Roy,
Is it the Motul 8100 or 7100 that you have been using?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2020 1:50 am

I wonder why Motul would make the 7100 for motorcycle and the 8100 for auto use

'on average' motorcycles use wet multi-plate clutches and have integrated gearboxes & may be 2T; cars use dry clutches and have separate gearbox & crankcase (like wot we do  Wink ) & are 4T .  For 4T means Motorcycle specific oils have to meet different/additional friction & extreme wear tests (Japanese JASO specs) to avoid slipping clutch & buggered gearboxes 'on average'.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
MotoJezek
Carlotto
Carlotto
MotoJezek

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2020 10:09 am

I'm currently running Motul 7100, have used Liqui Moly before. Oil that smells like shampoo is...odd.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm running FUCHS Silkolene 10W60, the red shit. When Iron Pony had 4L jugs on sale for twenty bucks I got four.
It goes with the pink shit, Red Line Heavy Shockproof, I run in the gearbox and final drive.

No issues except its not twenty bucks anymore Mad
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Perhaps this is a dumb question. But, I've got to wonder, in an engine known to run too cool, why do we need to run 10w-60, rather than 10w-50? Or 15w-50? I would think either of those options would suffice if it's a good synthetic.

Education requested, please.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2020 4:51 pm

The way Pete has explained it, it's the extreme flash temperatures that hit it going past the exhaust valve area and the piston squirters.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2020 6:09 pm

Duh.  Now I remember reading that.....
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2020 7:39 pm

sideshowbob wrote:
The way Pete has explained it, it's the extreme flash temperatures that hit it going past the exhaust valve area and the piston squirters.

This is conjecture, but it's possible that's why the manual recommends an oil meeting the JASO specification, despite the lack of a wet clutch. Motorcycle-specific 10W60 products are typically marketed for "racing", with advertised high ester content (more expensive to produce, said to be better suited for handling operating extremes). Unlike other products in the portfolio, there is zero mention of ester in the 8100 10W60 marketing brief, similar to other auto 10W60 oils. With a lack of more information (and given what Pete says, and the manual infers) I would personally stick with the higher cost ester stuff (Maxima/Silkolene/RedLine/etc).
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2020 7:59 pm

The Penrite I use is a full ester synth. They also make a ‘Motorcycle’ version of the same oil that is more expensive but I feel no need to pay the premium. I use the Penrite in everything from my little Honda step-thu, the Mana, the GRiSO and when it’s going the shitbox Cali 1100. No problems yet with those or dozens of customer bikes.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Tue May 12, 2020 1:22 am

nor mine - I vote Penrite
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Tue May 12, 2020 7:08 am

Portland (Oregon, USA) Moto Guzzi sells Motorex 10w-60 syn and it is about $20/liter.
The bike has just turned 18,500 miles and it's only had Motorex.    So far so good. Doesn't seem to burn any as the level on the dip stick doesn't vary between oil changes. I put in 3.3 liters and the air box doesn't get any standing oil in it. Just a misty film. I think I'll stick with Motorex but I wouldn't mind seeing it on sale some day.
Edit.  Just noticed Amazon sells a four liter jug for about $60. Free shipping. I think I'll keep supporting my dealer.
Another edit: My local Portland MG dealer has closed its' doors so I guess I'll be supporting Amazon.

Last edited by tvboy on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:09 am

Been running Motul 7100 for years in multiple bikes. It's seams harder to find these days especially in 10W-60.

I'll probably switch to Castrol Supercar since it's in auto parts stores for $3-4 less per litre than Motul or Motorex. AF1 also seam to have switched to Castrol.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Robinson_Spike
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Robinson_Spike

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Just for info...I’ve done over 20k miles with the GRiSO, swap the oil every 3.5 and always have a look under the rocker covers. Probably because it’s rarely over 20’C here I’ve noticed that with the Fuchs and Motul bike specific oil I get the pink yoghurt at the front of the cover but nothing at all with the Castrol FST Supercar which I’m also getting at a better price.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill Hagan, DH8a and Todd442 like this post

Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Usually avoid oil threads like the plague but amsoil always comes up lol
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:30 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The Penrite I use is a full ester synth. They also make a ‘Motorcycle’ version of the same oil that is more expensive but I feel no need to pay the premium. I use the Penrite in everything from my little Honda step-thu, the Mana, the GRiSO and when it’s going the shitbox Cali 1100. No problems yet with those or dozens of customer bikes.

I agree, no reason to pay more, especially without need for a theoretically "special" formulation for wet clutch use. It's a shame we don't have Penrite here in the States. I suppose the closest similar product available (auto 10W60 boasting high ester content) would be Red Line.
Back to top Go down
HighMileageHero
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
HighMileageHero

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 am

I've been using Motul 7100 since I've had the bike. I just follow the service intervals and change and adjust everything at the end of the year since that tends to be right around 5000 miles on the bike (quite a bit less now that I have the V85 probably). Oil's always been in good enough shape and I've never found any water contamination either. Given my mileage a few extra bucks a year to keep using what's been working is alright with me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motor Oil - What do you use?   Motor Oil - What do you use? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Motor Oil - What do you use?
Page 1 of 1