GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stepper motor acting up

Go down 
+10
XU12
Dilliw
lcjohnny
Gootzibird13
BrianD
Evilgarfield
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
beetle
guzziownr
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Stepper motor acting up Empty
PostSubject: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:26 pm

According to my reading the band-aid fix is to spray it with carb cleaner and cycle it with Guzzi diag. Where exactly should I be spraying?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:45 pm

It's not obvious, but the hose connected on the lower left side of the airbox closest to the the throttle bodies.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Thanks Mark, is it in the diagram? Here is a grainy photo of what I think is my stepper. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:47 am

Hose #4 in the top pic.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:05 am

Thanks Pete!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:13 am

No joy on the spray. My comprehensive survey of one '07 GRiSO owner and one '07 Norge owner says to bypass the gizmo. Is there a stepper motor bypass for dummies page? It didn't pop up in my search.

daniel_pww likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:43 am

Plug the pipe! I use a short 8mm bolt
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:01 am

If you plug the pipe make sure you plug the spigot on the airbox as well.

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:38 pm

If you plug the stepepr, do you have to open up the air bleed valve on the TB to compensate?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:04 pm

No
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:17 am

Plugged hose and airbox spigot. Bike started from cold instantly (cold being relative as it is Summer in NY) instead of chugging and stopping, settled into a nice 1100 RPM idle. I take it cold weather starts are where it will get tricky.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:43 am

Yes, cold starts could be challenging but it really depends on where your bike idles in the first place. Mine, being a 2V dunger, idles around 1300, so on startup in cold weather puts this around 1100, though it soon rises.

I've had this issue in colder temperatures and a judicious use of the throttle will help until the system can sustain its own idle.

Mine (stepper)has been out of use for the last 6 years with no issues.

Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:18 pm

I can say that I have not had any problems with starting in winter after disconnecting the stepper -probably around 20,000 miles now; The problem with the stepper motors is the actual motor because cleaning the airways with whatever method you use does not fix the problem.

Not having to adjust air bleeds is one job less too!

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:46 pm

BrianD wrote:
I can say that I have not had any problems with starting in winter after disconnecting the stepper -probably around 20,000 miles now; The problem with the stepper motors is the actual motor because cleaning the airways with whatever method you use does not fix the problem.

Not having to adjust air bleeds is one job less too!

No. It may not fix the problem.

As for not having to adjust the air bleeds? How do you work that one out?
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:33 pm

Fair comment, It's only that each time I service the bike I check the throttle balance both at high revs and tickover and have not needed to adjust tickover. As I mentioned I have had the stepper disconnected for a long time now.

I'm not sure how relevant this is but I blanked off at the throttle bodies after a year or so after having the link pipes connected to the stepper [main pipe blocked off].

I do wonder sometimes about this as my old Norton had a link pipe on the inlet tracts between the carbs. Think this was for low down torque.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:49 pm

My stepper is acting up as well, leading to high idle when the bike is warm. I've cured the symptoms by adding a valve on the stepper intake hose. However I'd like to try to solve the problem instead of masking its effects.
I have the plastic version of the stepper. Do you know if it's possible to take the motor out of its enclosure to poke at the internals? If so, how is it done? I've seen that there is a slot with a key and I've tried to insert a screwdriver and pull the unit out but to no avail. Is it glued? Do I need to twist before pulling?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:26 pm

There's no "user serviceable parts" inside. If a squirt of goo and an exercise doesn't fix it, it's probably time to replace it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:53 pm

Or block it

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:26 pm

Cha ching.....
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:55 pm

BrianD wrote:
I do wonder sometimes about this as my old Norton had a link pipe on the inlet tracts between the carbs. Think this was for low down torque.

@BrianD All of the 1969 onwards twin carb British twins had that pipe linking the manifolds..The manufacturers said this was to "...give more torque".

The mechanics view was that it was to accomodate poor carb synchronisation. All of those twin Amals set ups had separate cables (sometimes all the way back to the handlebars like a LeMans!). This meant that handlebar movement and road vibration moved the cables separately and ruined carburetor synchronisation in about 200 miles Sad.

That balance pipe masked the poor pick up and stutter that ocurred as the slides drifted in and out of synch

The partial cure we used on the racing Boyer Triumphs was to run a single cable to a splitter just above the carbs and tie all components to the frame - this also helps on 850 Guzziz.
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:23 pm

Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:47 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Or block it

Like I said, it is blocked already. But since carb cleaner and cycling didn't do the trick, I guess it's toasted. New ones are really expensive so I thought if its dead anyway, why not take it apart and see if there is anything I can do but I could not open it and did not want to break the shell by using force.  I've repaired steppers with dead coils before so could have given it a try

lcjohnny and daniel_pww like this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:39 am

It's not blocked but only partially working - like it sticks open giving high idle - this bleeds air into the throttle bodies. Put your finger over the hose while the engine is running and you will see what I mean. Block it and your high idle goes away.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:51 am

Sorry if I was not clear. I have a valve installed. If I close it, the high idle goes away. This is what I called curing the symptoms. Now  I would prefer to have the stepper working as intended since fiddling with the valve on cold days to avoid a low and lumpy idle is sub optimal. Since my stepper seems toasted anyway, I wanted to see if I could try to repair it. I've nothing to loose. If I can't repair I'll just keep the valve on but I might get it to work again.. But from the comments, it seems that it can't be open easily.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:10 am

My apologies, it was I who misunderstood you. Valve is good. Stepper kaput!

Evilgarfield likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stepper motor acting up   Stepper motor acting up Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stepper motor acting up
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next