GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Empty
PostSubject: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 am

During the last km of my last ride I was gushing out oil from the filter.  I removed the filter and two seals came out.  One on the filter and another one split.  I lost alot of oil as maybe a half litre was remaining.

New oil and filter goes in ( clean tire and rear brake), turn her on to go for a ride and now I hear a slight humming noise at idle.  I describe it like trying to say the word "on" but being stuck on the "o" and never getting to the "n" part.  Changes pitch with engine speed.  Sound seems to be coming from the  top end.  Idle speed is constant.No ride tonight.

Guys , where do I need to go from here?

Thanks and appreciate your help
Norm

"

Last edited by Pisano on Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 10:04 am

Hmm. The problem is that if you were loosing a lot of oil then what was still being delivered would of been woefully inadequate in both volume and pressure.

If this noise hasn't gone away it portends an ongoing problem the issue is what that problem might be and going from your description I really have no idea. All I can suggest is whip the rocker covers off and have a look.
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 12:19 pm

Thanks for your quick reply Pete.  With rocker covers off I looked for signs of metal flakes, burnt oil residue...nothing.  Felt for any suspicious radial clearance from the non spring tensioned rocker assys ( happened to be at one each side )and cam..nothing.  Everything looked and felt similair left to right.  
I did not get the pistons at TDC to do valve clearance check but I didnt think that was needed.  This sound is coming from something spinning and not ticking.

Any thoughts on what I missed while I'm up there?

All this happened as a new sump spacer gasket is shipping from MG cycle cause I wanted to get that known issue taken care of.  Ironically, things went sideways real fast. No

When I have that sump opened up I'll check for signs on the big ends per what you suggested recenty to our friend whose engine just stopped

One more thing ... When I shut the engine off I heard the hum sound pulse with what felt like it being in sync with a piston that was slowing down. Not sure if that was helpful as I.mentioned it changed pitch with engine speed.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Only thing I can think of would be the camchain having damaged a tensioner blade or guide rail blade.

This though is why it's so important to make certain the old filter gasket is off when you change the filter!
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Ok . I looked closer at the tensioners and guides.  The top tip of the LHS Chain Guide Plate  is touching up against the wall of the Aluminum casing ( its dificult to take a picture ).  I would think that it should have clearance. Maybe its busted and is resting against the wall.

Back to top Go down
Semper
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Semper

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Sat May 30, 2020 8:46 am

May have starved the oil pump and caused some
....damage
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Sat May 30, 2020 5:24 pm

Didnt think of that and come to think of it the noise did seem from the front as well.

Looking at the shop manual it reads like a straight forward proceedure to remove it to inspect.  Having said that I have not removed any pump before on any any motor.

Anything I should be especially cautious about?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Sat May 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Are you prepared for sone serious concrete grovelling or do you have a bench?

What's your tool kit like?
Back to top Go down
MotoJezek
Carlotto
Carlotto
MotoJezek

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2020 12:25 pm

Sorry, that sounds expensive.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2020 1:07 pm

What he means is you can do it while inthe bike, you will simply be getting close to the concrete floor to do it. On the other hand, putting it on an elevated stand or motor on the work-bench is far easier. Depends how old and crotchety you are!
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2020 2:21 pm

Ok guys I feel like I won the lottery today.  I dont know what happened but no noise now.

I went for a very cautious ride today for the first time after puking oil.  I heard a very faint remenance of the noise when started but after ridding 500m I stopped  to check things out and it went away.

Still scratching my head but I'll take this a good news.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2020 3:24 pm

Good. Hopefully you've dodged a bullet. Who knows what the noise was? Perhaps the oil level dropped below the level of the cooling circuit pick-up and the cooler emptied and the noise was the cooler re-priming? Just an idea.

Anyway, next time you change the filter you're going to make absolutely certain you've got the old filter gasket off aren't you?.......
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2020 10:51 pm

Oh fuck YES.  That reminder has been tattooed on my soul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.   Oil gushed out.  Now it doesnt sound right. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil gushed out. Now it doesnt sound right.
Page 1 of 1