GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rocker Covers off? need a favor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

Rocker Covers off?   need a favor Empty
PostSubject: Rocker Covers off? need a favor   Rocker Covers off?   need a favor Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 pm

If any of you fine folks have the rocker covers off it would be great if you can do me a favour and check to see if the top tip of the left hand side  timing chain tensioner guide plate is right up against the wall of the casing.  pictures are difficult here but did the best I could...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Reason I'm asking is the the guide on the other side seems to have plenty of clearance from the case wall.  I'm trying to find the source of a noise I'm hearing on the top end and need to know if this is normal.

much appreciated
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Rocker Covers off? need a favor   Rocker Covers off?   need a favor Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 11:32 pm

I had my left wing off for my current project, so it wasn’t too difficult to whip off the valve cover.

The guide on mine is pressed up against the wall, so I doubt that’s the cause of your noise.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Rocker Covers off? need a favor   Rocker Covers off?   need a favor Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 11:52 pm

No, that's normal.

Remember that the 'Mobile' tensioner blade is on the left on both cylinders as the drive, and therefore the cams, spin the same way and the slack in the chain is on the left hand side on both cylinders. The right hand side of the chains is under constant tension when the engine is running so there is simply a plastic guide plate to, well, guide it. That is inserted into a divot in the crankcase at the bottom and a slot in the top of the barrel at the top and is both close to the casting wall and immobile. The tensioner blades though pivot on a pin at the bottom and are pressed outwards towards the chain by the tensioner plungers. Hence the 'Gap' you can see between them and the casting.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Rocker Covers off? need a favor   Rocker Covers off?   need a favor Icon_minitime1Fri May 29, 2020 9:13 am

I love this forum.

you have a question on your engine internals, less than an hour later, some guy opens his engine up to confirm your suspicions, then another fella chimes an in-depth factual explanation!!

hey, where else do you get that kind of service cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Rocker Covers off? need a favor   Rocker Covers off?   need a favor Icon_minitime1Fri May 29, 2020 9:55 am

You know it is truely is amazing the help I get on this site.
I  have to thank Mark and Pete here so much.

The "mobile" tensioner blades seemed to be in good working order. As I manually cranked the crank shaft they were moving up and down as the chain rotated. ( chain tension was inconsistent as was my cranking and I figure no oil pressure in the plungers so that's fine)

I'm taking this thing for a ride tomorrow any I'll monitor that noise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rocker Covers off? need a favor   Rocker Covers off?   need a favor Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rocker Covers off? need a favor
Page 1 of 1