GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gaucho
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Gaucho

Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO   Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:41 am

It has begun,
For your viewing pleasure, a set of flat rollers and cam from my recently purchased, and non rollerised GRiSO.
Man, am I glad I listened to the forum, and did the right thing. Super special thanks to Pete, his posts and his support are incredible. He send all the parts in record time. I just wish words could do justice on how thankful I am.
Tomorrow, shimming the valves and the jumping onto the right side cylinder. Hopefully sunday, after watching Moto GP, dropping the oil pan.
Once I can get the bike running, first change my signature, then re map.  Very Happy
I would like to note that the bike run like a dream, no noises, no hiccups.
To anybody buying a Guzzi, they will be crazy if they don't join this forum.
I'll keep you posted of the progress from hot and sticky Miami.
Gaucho

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO   Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:53 am

Glad I could help. cheers

The inlet looks pretty far gone.
Back to top Go down
Gaucho
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Gaucho

PostSubject: Re: Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO   Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:24 am

Progress achieved during the weekend. Both heads done and dusted. I procrastinated a little with the oil pan, aiming to do it tonight.
The look of the right side tappets were the carbon copy of the left side.
While taking apart the right side, nothing like finding a souvenir, left by somebody working there before you. Shocked [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Luckily, years of working in german cars help me develop a couple of tricks for this type of situations.
Also sending the head protectors for powder coating now that they are out.
That's all for now,
Gaucho

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gaucho
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Gaucho

PostSubject: Re: Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO   Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:25 am

Success!
Bike is running, started first crank, no oil leaks so far. When I was doing the oil sump, I took a look a the cylinder walls and they still show crosshatched marks. cheers
Still waiting for the head protectors from powder coating. I was able to go slowly for a short ride, and get the oil up to temperature.
A couple of reflections for anybody attempting to do this at home:
Patience, patience, patience.
Italian hardware does not age gracefully, this is something I've also suffered with my Aprilia, you don't want to round any nut of bolt head.
Have good quality Allen keys ready, and I mean good quality, it will save you a lot of time and grief.
Go over the instructions here in the forum. Print them and have them handy if that suits you. When in doubt, stop and ask questions, there is no such thing as a dumb question.
Make sure you have all dowel pins in place, for the heads and for the cam carriers.
Did I say Patience? This is supposed to be fun, take your time.
Finally big thank you to Pete and all the people on the forum, that with their posts, helped me through this process.
Gaucho
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO   Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:53 am

Good work Gaucho.

I've also just done some work on mine at 140,000 km - cross-hatch still very much in evidence, inside the bores.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

This forum is good as it has quite a few SMEs who are willing to help for the greater good.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO   Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:48 pm

Excellent point about quality of tools...cheapest rarely the best !. 6 point sockets make a big difference for anything tight.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO   Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rollerization of a high mileage GRiSO
Page 1 of 1