GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

My Rollerization progress

Go down 
+8
beetle
Ekimyrf
paulbrice
Grisonut
pauldaytona
Pete Roper
sidrat
GRD
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

My Rollerization progress Empty
PostSubject: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 am

Bike is a 2012 GRiSO 8v. 14,000 km
Took it into the Guzzi Dealer to have the tappets inspected.
Had to show them how to do this, they wanted to take the head off.

Anyway this is what we eventually found.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Had to then show them the process to get Guzz to cover the cost of the roller kit.
Thought at the time, this is not going that well.

Imagine my surprise when they rang me the NEXT day and told me Guzzi would cover the cost of the roller kit and they had sent off the required photos to identify which kit was required.
That was the good news, along with the fact that the inspection cost would now would come off the cost of fitting the kit.

The bad news was that the kit was coming from Italy.

I strongly suspect that the tappet damage was already there at 8000 km, when I bought the bike and the previous owner had the cam box removed for inspection because they told me when they got the cam box off there was a dowel out of place, just sitting there.

So it looks like I'm going to be the Guinea pig for their first roller job.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 am

I hope it goes well for you and that your installer suprises you with their competence!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:14 am

If you want to approach your shop about fixing it quicker I have an 'A' kit on the shelf and will happily send it over with the proviso that when the factory kit arrives they send it to me. I currently, because of an ordering mistake, have two 'A' kits in stock so it's no skin off my nose.

Anyway, the offer is there.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks for that offer Pete.
I'll drop in and talk to them tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:33 am

Well there are tech notes that they can find in the dealer portal, that explains in detail all steps. I hope they ordered the right kit :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Hold on!!
You had to show/tell your dealer how it's done basically?!?!
Run the fuck away from these fucktards!
Why is it that every morons out there, feel the needs to take a Guzzi franchise??

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:48 pm

If it's a 2012 it'll be an 'A' kit bike. Simply looking down the plug tube will confirm it.

Good it's being covered. If they have any issues get them to give me a ring.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:38 am

Droped in and spoke to the guy I was dealing with in the service department.
Unfortunatly they are so regimented they will not accept parts from any source other than the one the kit is coming from in Italy. scratch

Thanks again for you generous offer Pete.
I guess I'll just have to sit it out and wait.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:05 am

Beware. Fucking moron alert!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 am

GRD wrote:
Droped in and spoke to the guy I was dealing with in the service department.
Unfortunatly they are so regimented they will not accept parts from any source other than the one the kit is coming from in Italy. scratch

Thanks again for you generous offer Pete.
I guess I'll just have to sit it out and wait.

now that i really don't understand, the more i read the more i would run a mile

Spell out C u s t o m e r S e r v i c e to them
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Agree with Sidrat, all the bits are from the same source in Italy & as long as they have official part numbers and packaging shouldn't matter if they came via another parts store/supply......just make sure they are as regimented when it comes to doing the work !
Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:55 am

Are Peter Stevens by any chance the current Guzzi dealers in Adelaide ? isn't there a guy up the top of Port Road that is meant to be good ?

Admittedly I haven't lived there for 5 years Mary Lou in Strath was the dealer back then
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 am

Peter Stevens are the current importer.

Nothing else really needs to be said.
Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:21 am

All becomes clear :-(
Back to top Go down
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Just when I thought I'd be getting my bike back, I get a call telling me that the rollerization has been completed BUT, now the rocker covers do not seal around the plugs. WTF????

The bike is a 2012 March build. I was under the impression this was the simplest year to rollerize and the least amount of parts would be required, certainly not rocker covers. The are now contacting Guzzi about what to do.

Any clues as to what's going on?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Sounds like they used the wrong kit, or forgot to install the tubes. The B kit is for the older style rocker covers with the tube, the A kit is for the new style. Which did yours have, and which does it have now?
If yours was truly a 2012 model, then the A kit should have been used.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:43 am

Are the tubes a seperate item on a 2012 bike?
Here are some pictures I took a while ago of the rocker cover and whats underneath it.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:17 am

That’s an A kit bike but there are still short plug tubes that go between the head and the bottom of the rocker carrier/cambox. My guess is either the tubes stayed in the old camboxes and they didn’t notice or they have left out the plug tube gaskets at the top.

None of this is rocket science.

Pete
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:44 am

Here's pics of the 'joint' & between c/head rocker assembly where two seals and short tube bridge the joint (Not a great angle but you can see the tube pushed into the underside of the rocker box)

Back to top Go down
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:44 am

Pete Roper wrote:
That’s an A kit bike but there are still short plug tubes that go between the head and the bottom of the rocker carrier/cambox. My guess is either the tubes stayed in the old camboxes and they didn’t notice or they have left out the plug tube gaskets at the top.

None of this is rocket science.

Pete

So if they have overlooked the tubes and they are in the old rocker box, how much work is involved to re fit them?

Also by "plug tube gasket" do you mean a gasket that fits around the tube and still may be in the old rocker box?
Would this gasket be supplied with the kit, or would Guzzi expect it to be re-used?

I'm planning to to go see them on Monday and would like to have as much information as possible so I don't get sent away with a load of bullshit.
Back to top Go down
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:44 am

I'm also wondering if they have fitted a "B" kit. Would this result in a bad seal at the rocker cover?
Are the kits labeled "A', "B' etc from Guzzi or do they have other numbes to identify them?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:09 pm

The long plug tubes won’t fit through the plug hole in the later ‘A’ kit cambox/rocker carriers so they wouldn’t of been able to use a ‘B’ kit. Those tubes don’t come as a part of any kit though so they must of stuck the short tubes in. It would be bleeding obvious that that was wrong though if that is what they did long before they got to firing it up.

Look, from this remove I have no idea what the issue is without pictures but if they have got the right kit there should be no need for extra parts or any need to swap rocker covers. You can see in your picture above of the inverted rocker cover the circular gasket around the plug hole that seals on the top of the ‘A’ kit cam box. If the gap between cambox and cover is now too large it must be because they have the wrong kit I guess.

Pete

PS

Kit part numbers are.

B kit-1A002063

A kit-1A002060

C kit-1A002082

Back to top Go down
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping things may become clearer when I see them on Monday.
Back to top Go down
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Just got back from looking at my bike and I'm not much wiser.
The issue is, when the rocker cover goes on there is a gap between the the top of the plug tube and the cover.
Had a look at the box of parts that came out and there are no short plug tubes in the box, so I have to assume they are in the bike.
Did not get the part number of the kit, but they "assured " me that the part numbers were checked numerous times.
Unfortunatly now we are waiting for a reply back from Guzzi in Italy as the why there is a gap there.
So I'm not expecting anything to hapen quickly.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:14 pm

Oh for fucks sakes! Who are these idiots?

It’s not rocket science. The reason why there is a gap between the rocker cover and the top of the rocker carrier is because on the earlier bikes that part was machined shorter and the bore of the hole in the casting for the plug is larger because it is designed for the ‘Long’ plug tube which seals with an o-ring in the rocker cover itself.

If dweebus minimus who is performing the work actually bothered to look down the bore of the plug ‘ole in the casting he would see the top of the short plug tube just sitting there with a gap around it. A gap that as soon as the engine is running the copious oil that is pumped up around the top end is going to gush out of and flow out of the cooling tunnel at the front and rear of the head and the water drain hole on the outer edge! He/she/it should also be able to see that the hole in the casting is several mm larger to accommodate the extra width of the ‘Long’ plug tube used on the earlier motor. Just putting the neoprene ring gasket on top of the hole will immediately show that it’s ID is too small for it to work properly. A thirteen year old should be able to work this shit out! They’ve got the wrong bloody kit!

They have a choice. Get the right kit, (Sensible thing to do.) and fit it, properly, or buy some long plug tubes, o-rings and *Old* style rocker covers, remove the camboxes, replace the short tubes with long ones, reinstall the camboxes and fit the new, *Old* style rocker covers, (With o-rings or they will leak.)

The idea of having to wait for someone “In Italy!” To get back to them is not only insane it’s enraging me to the point of having a conniption! They call them selves mechanics? Actually they probably don’t, they probably call themselves ‘Technicians’ because they think it sounds more important! If they can’t work something as obvious as this out on their own I hate to think of the pigs breakfast they’re going to make of tuning it afterwards!

Be afraid! Be very afraid!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Rollerization progress   My Rollerization progress Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

My Rollerization progress
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next