GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Key codes again

Go down 
+3
RedMogAndy
Pete Roper
jeremyr62
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jeremyr62
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jeremyr62

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:19 am

Hello All,
I am new to the forum but I am about to purchase a GRiSO. The key code business is interesting to say the least. I have a question. If I go to look at a bike and the seller has two keys, is there a way of simply checking these keys are different re the transponder chip, or put another way one key is not a clone of the other? I am assuming the seller has no clue about user codes which in my experience is going to be the case. I would like to ensure when I am about to buy a bike that I will be able to access the diagnostics and set a new user code in the future.
Asking a seller if you can deep dive into the setup menu seems a bit rude to me.
Regards
Jeremy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:24 am

Well if he wants to sell the bike he'd better pull his neck in.

If he doesn't know the user code but has two keys you can use the 'Code Recovery' function to see if the code can be changed. If it can't? We'll adjust the price accordingly.
Back to top Go down
jeremyr62
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jeremyr62

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:35 am

Yes, I can see that side of the argument. The seller is completely ignorant of the implications of the lack of a user code. As I am unfamiliar and he is too I would have to encourage him to do the code recovery procedure while I was there. Just to be sure, you can’t eff it up by doing it wrong? I would hate to render the bike immobilised if we balls it up.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:41 am

No. Just follow the instructions on the dash.

Download the owners manual, it's all outlined in that and I've recited it, chapter and verse, on the web many times, as, probably, have others.

It's not rocket science and you can't brick anything.
Back to top Go down
jeremyr62
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jeremyr62

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:47 am

Yeah, I have the pages form the owners manual. Objectively it is complicated until you have done it a few times. I can just see the sellers face as I pull out these sheets of paper and start fiddling with his dash.
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Carlotto
Carlotto
RedMogAndy

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:34 am

A previous owner had kindly written the code on the first page of my service book - may be worth a look . . .
Back to top Go down
jeremyr62
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jeremyr62

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:40 am

I forewarned the seller that I would need to see evidence the keys would work or a user code. He has now gone very quiet unfortunately. A lot of owners and ordinary dealers wont have a clue.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:23 am

If the bike has 2 original Moto Guzzi keys - 1 plain and 1 with a silver emblem on one side then I would say there is a good chance that they are the original pair.

Back to top Go down
jeremyr62
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jeremyr62

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:35 am

I can't get the seller to engage with anything about this. He just says the 2 keys work fine. He won't confirm if they are the original MG keys or not either. Oh well. The search continues. Thank you all for the comments. I am better informed. Grisos are rare beasts in Ireland (and the UK too if Ebay is anything to go by).
Back to top Go down
Eire1400
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Eire1400

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:55 am

2 Tenni green ones oh here.
Mine in Cork and one in Killkenny!
Best of luck with your search.
Back to top Go down
jeremyr62
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jeremyr62

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:54 am

Good to hear. I'm in Limerick. I went to look at a 1100 in Waterford today. It was in OK condition and the seller was very decent and let me test ride it. I explained the key thing but never checked it. It was a fun ride but there's a big but. My legs are too long and they were splayed out around the tank no matter what I did with my feet on the pegs. Moving back on the seat was better but even that didn't help much. Bugger. I'm 1.93m tall with long legs. Will have to see if there are lowered foot pegs available.

Last edited by jeremyr62 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:55 am

jeremyr62 wrote:
I can't get the seller to engage with anything about this. He just says the  2 keys work fine. He won't confirm if they are the original MG keys or not either. Oh well. The search continues. Thank you all for the comments. I am better informed. Grisos are rare beasts in Ireland (and the UK too if Ebay is anything to go by).

If it has 2 keys , what is the problem? Possibly being a little over cautious.
If they turn out to be both the same key and you don’t have the user code just get another cloned.
Back to top Go down
jeremyr62
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jeremyr62

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:00 pm

Yes, I tend to agree now.I sent him a picture of the MG keys and he said that's what he had so I went to view the bike. 5 hour ride but weather was good.
Back to top Go down
hezovka
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
hezovka

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Probably it is not very rare seller do not know anything about this code. I have set it thanks to this discussion as third owner of mine GRiSO. It was 8 years requesting to enter the code and no one was listening (me neither).
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:27 pm

eeyore wrote:
jeremyr62 wrote:
I can't get the seller to engage with anything about this. He just says the  2 keys work fine. He won't confirm if they are the original MG keys or not either. Oh well. The search continues. Thank you all for the comments. I am better informed. Grisos are rare beasts in Ireland (and the UK too if Ebay is anything to go by).

If it has 2 keys , what is the problem? Possibly being a little over cautious.
If they turn out to be both the same key and you don’t have the user code just get another cloned.

If you don't know the user code you will be stuck if the key antenna ever fails. Tow truck time, no matter how many properly-registered keys you have with you.

Moto
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Key codes again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key codes again   Key codes again Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Key codes again
Page 1 of 1