GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fatal Motorcycle Crash

Go down 
+15
Judgecat
Steak
Weißgerät
wardentm
Oz1200Guzzi
Street
beetle
LBC Tenni
BowraBoy
bioman
Kernow
Gaucho
Nobleswood
DeepSpace
Bill Hagan
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Fatal Motorcycle Crash Empty
PostSubject: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:34 am

No GRiSO content, but posting this on several Guzzi sites and sent email to same effect to folks I know:

Yesterday was a tragic day for another motorcyclist.

Kathi and I had gone to Lexington, Virginia, on a spur-of-the-moment anniversary getaway.  She was in the Mini; I, on the EV.  I got a great fall ride in; we both walked the BRP for a few miles.  It’s a lovely area at near-peak fall foliage time.  It was a very nice overnighter.

My return ride became a nightmare.  

After I left Lexington and did a few miles on SR 39 — a great twisting delight I knew well — I turned north on SR 252.  This was a “new road” for me.  After a few great miles, I caught up with two cruiser riders.  These guys were skilled, and it was fun following them on a road that they clearly knew well.  The first guy set a fine pace and his lines through all curves were textbook examples.  The second rider did the same.  I did not once see a misstep; following them kept me from mistakes, too.

Then, just after we had all topped a hill with a right-hand curve, and were through that turn, the second rider inexplicably went off the road into a ditch, was tossed from the motorcycle, became a flailing rag-doll, and hit a telephone pole. He was alive when I got to him, but unconscious.  

His buddy — they appeared to be in their ’50’s, and had known each other since the third grade — was composed but understandably distraught.  The downed rider died before EMS and LEO’s arrived.  

I should add that all Augusta County first responders — the state trooper (in charge of the scene); deputy sheriffs; and EMS personnel — were at the scene in astonishing times and were all very professional.

Yes, the unfortunate rider wore a helmet, but no ATGATT — “All The Gear All The Time” for non-motorcyclists getting this; Kathi and I always wear it, plus Helite airbag vests.  That said, I doubt that any amount of protective gear would have saved him.

Difficult to “unsee" or forget that afternoon.

Here's the brief news story and "not graphic" pix of mine of the aftermath.  The second pic shows the hill, curve, ditch, pole, and ruts from the motorcycle’s entry.  I can only speculate that he had a medical event or fell into the “target fixation” trap.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How quickly an otherwise great day on a motorcycle can become a sad afternoon on a country road.

Bill

P.S.  Yes, I will continue to ride, but add this experience to my reasons to be vigilant.
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:59 am

heavy stuff. i've seen some accidents but non fatal luckily. Little oops moments we all have (had) but most of them end up with brown undies at the most. I never understood the riding without gear, but i guess here in europe sitting on your bike with t-shirt and flipflop is frowned upon so most ride with all the gear (plus we got shit weather most of the time Razz ) i usually feel uncomfy when riding in jeans instead of my bikerpants. So when i do (+30 degrees C) i only drive in town to work and avoid highways. So of my US friend have other opinions about that (even after they crashed with no helmet on and broke his skull). I guess its what you are used to and get told/what friends are doing etc.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:16 am

Bill,
That’s a harsh event to experience & remember.
A sobering memory for all involved.
Tim

Bill Hagan and freewaystreak like this post

Back to top Go down
Gaucho
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Gaucho

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 am

Wow!
This looks like an unlikely place for such a grim result! This is something I've always kept in mind when riding on any "curvy" road far from home (I'm in Florida). Sometimes the joy of feeling the bike distracts you just enough to reach an "Oh,s..t" moment. My nightmare scenario always involves ARMCO barriers or trees.
These poor rider payed the ultimate price, may the good Lord rest his soul.
Gaucho

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kernow
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kernow

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:55 am

Very sad. These things do happen sometimes for no obvious reason, it hard to say much more. I do hope you and those at the scene find solace as these events can linger in the mind.
I wish you well

Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:08 pm

This is a very sad story, Bill. My heart goes out to his family. Terrible. I hope you are doing well, as, like you write, one cannot 'unsee' such a scene.

Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:40 pm

Very sad indeed. After a couple of near fatal misses in my younger years I ALWAYS dress as though I am going to come off. Uncomfortable beats dead every time.

Bill Hagan and tazio like this post

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:18 pm

It’s an awful thing and I’m very sorry you had to witness it. It definitely sounds like a medical event. Be safe everyone and don’t skip your annual health checks.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 pm

This is a tragic & sobering reminder to us all. It can happen to any of us.

Bill, look after yourself, and to all of us, "be careful out there".

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Bill,

I'm sorry you had to see that. I witnessed a crash once, not fatal, fortunately, but many years later I can still see every second of it replaying in my brain.  I'm a believer in full gear too, but it may not have saved this poor guy. Tragic. Glad you weren't hurt.

Be well, be safe.

Pete

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 pm

Always sad to see/hear of these things. Condolences to all concerned - not pretty.

I know it is small consolation but he went doing something he loved, which is what I would prefer for myself, though this fact is lost on significant others, especially at the time.

Full gear ALL the time - Agreed!

Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:19 am

Hello Bill
Greetings from Tasmania ...
Sorry to hear your story ......bummer ...frightening experience ...
Look after yourself, stay tuned to your stress and get some help accordingly.
Regards

Back to top Go down
Weißgerät
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Weißgerät

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Bill,
this was indeed tragic. I hope our families will be spared anything similar.

Must be traumatic for you, too. Trust you will work it out.

Yes, our margins are small, we're so vulnerable. What a reminder this is.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:19 am

Thanks to all for the comments.

I'm hardly traumatized by this, but certainly reflective about all sorts of things. But, I'll be out again this morning for the D.C.-Md. brunch. Then, as Kathi will be in Erie Sunday 'til Wednesday, again during that time.   cheers

I have just learned, BTW, that the deceased rider in the incident I posted about, above, had a son ...

... who died in a motorcycle crash in 2016!   Shocked

And his buddy, who led our little trio, watched his own brother die on a dirt bike when they were teens!   Sad

Bill
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:36 pm

When things go sideways, everything happens so fast.  Yet when you are "in" it, it all moves so slowly, including your own response.  Sometimes there's no figuring the how and why.  I guess the best answer is to be as prepared as possible when your number comes up.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Judgecat
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Judgecat

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:24 pm

Very sorry to hear that story Bill.
I sincerely hope you, the surviving rider, and the families are doing OK.
An awful thing to witness.

Back to top Go down
BruPo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BruPo

PostSubject: Condolences for the unforgettable   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:45 pm

I'm sending you all positive waves toward safe travels.
- There but for the grace of God go we.

Back to top Go down
http://www.brettcartwright.com
Toastmuncher
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Toastmuncher

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:56 am

Very sad, rest in piece.

Back to top Go down
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:54 am

Everytime I get on my Guzzi I remind myself that "rider error" is the #1 cause of motorcycle accidents.
Just because it's a great day on a great road with no cars doesn't mean I don't have to pay attention.
Thanks for the post, you reminded me once again.

Back to top Go down
tom collins
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
tom collins

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:33 am

Very sad. Good thoughts to the family. I recently had a moment's distraction that resulted in a serious "tank slapper" on the Triple Nickel in Ohio. My son was following and described it to me, two lines of gravel, my back wheel veered into one and slid, caught traction and tried to send the bike the other way. I was being careful, only going about 30-35 mph. I must have looked away for a micro second.
Everyone be extra careful now with fall leaves.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fatal Motorcycle Crash   Fatal Motorcycle Crash Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fatal Motorcycle Crash
Page 1 of 1