GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Seat Bolt Size

Go down 
+3
Bill Hagan
Pete Roper
Edown101-23
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Edown101-23
Carlotto
Carlotto
Edown101-23

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:16 pm

So I was riding this morning and went to remove the seat after I stopped. The pocket that holds the tool kit immediately fell open. The toggle bolt was missing. I just got the bike from the shop, and im pretty sure the bolt was tight before I dropped it off, but that is neither here nor there at this point. Does anyone know the size or specs of that seat toggle bolt?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:39 pm

I think it's a standard M5 Sorry, M6
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:28 pm

Edown101-23 wrote:
So I was riding this morning and went to remove the seat after I stopped. The pocket that holds the tool kit immediately fell open. The toggle bolt was missing. I just got the bike from the shop, and im pretty sure the bolt was tight before I dropped it off,  but that is neither here nor there at this point. Does anyone know the size or specs of that seat toggle bolt?

Thanks in advance.

When you said "toggle bolt," I thought you meant the one that locks the tank down under the saddle.  That was easy.  The GRiSO parts manual I have says it's an M6x25, part # AP8152280.  AF1 says they have it in stock -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -- but I order such things from McMaster-Carr and get 'em the next day.

Ah ... but then I realized -- or think so -- that you meant the small one that keeps that "door" in place.  How hard could that be?  Well, as it seems you already know, hard.  The parts manual just shows the "door," but nada re the bolt.

I'll go down in the morning -- I'm skeered of the dark  jocolor  Actually, I've already poured my bourbon cheers -- and take a pic of mine, then see if McMaster-Carr has something close.

Ciao.

Bill

Edown101-23 likes this post

Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:23 pm

Just a thought Endown101, I had lost mine a while ago, but after a search found it at the back of the tail cavity, jammed behind a connector. scratch
Worth a look , if you haven't done so.

Bill Hagan and Edown101-23 like this post

Back to top Go down
Edown101-23
Carlotto
Carlotto
Edown101-23

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:12 pm

MrBob wrote:
Just a thought Endown101, I had lost mine a while ago, but after a search found it at the back of the tail cavity, jammed behind a connector. scratch
Worth a look , if you haven't done so.

Yeah I'll give it look when I have some daylight. I'm a little miffed because I am pretty sure it was tight before I dropped it off for service.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:09 am

Still dark this a.m. -- I think I dislike the shorter daylight of winter as much as the cold and snow; no, I take that back Wink -- so will check my door bolt later.

Do wonder about why the dealer's folks would have had any need/interest in going there?

Our sweet beasts do vibrate a bit cheers , so surely that is what led to loosening and MIA of yours? I wave washer on replacement might help.

With first cup of coffee in me, I think I'll wander down to the Moto Grappa and get a look.

Best,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:08 am

As usual, I am confused.

Are you talking about the small fastener that goes through the door? Or the larger bolt that holds down the tank under the saddle?

Already posted about the latter.

If the former, I can’t imagine that going anywhere. I can’t remove mine from the door! It has a knurled plastic knob and just stays put. For what it’s worth, it’s a 6 mm x 15 mm fastener.

Bill

Back to top Go down
Edown101-23
Carlotto
Carlotto
Edown101-23

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:14 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
As usual, I am confused.

Are you talking about the small fastener that goes through the door? Or the larger bolt that holds down the tank under the saddle?

If the former, I can’t imagine that going anywhere. I can’t remove mine from the door! It has a knurled plastic knob and just stays put. For what it’s worth, it’s a 6 mm x 15 mm fastener.

Bill

It's the one that holds the door closed keeping your factory tool bag in place.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:10 am

Edown101-23 wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:
As usual, I am confused.

Bill

"Factory tool bag?"

You are kidding, right?  

I use that space for my grappa flask.   cheers

Seriously, I cannot recall ever using a tool of any kind on my GRiSO while on the road.  Can't say -- think the rollerization fiasco  Evil or Very Mad -- that it's been flawless, but, so far, except for an air gauge, I've needed to do nada while riding.

Be all of that as it may, AF1 has the door for $25+.  AF1

Some parts pix show the fastener as part of that; others, not.  Better call if you decide to go that route.

OTOH, McMaster-Carr likely has a "good enough" fix.  See, e.g.,
McMaster-Carr Options ... and you'll get it tomorrow for standard shipping.

Inasmuch as the fastener is an easily identifiable item, i.e., a short screw with a large (for size) black knurled knob, maybe you could just ask the dealer if they seen it?

Good luck with this; it's often a maddening process.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Edown101-23
Carlotto
Carlotto
Edown101-23

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:59 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
Edown101-23 wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:
As usual, I am confused.

Bill

"Factory tool bag?"

You are kidding, right?  

I use that space for my grappa flask.   cheers

Seriously, I cannot recall ever using a tool of any kind on my GRiSO while on the road.  Can't say -- think the rollerization fiasco  Evil or Very Mad -- that it's been flawless, but, so far, except for an air gauge, I've needed to do nada while riding.

Be all of that as it may, AF1 has the door for $25+.  AF1

Some parts pix show the fastener as part of that; others, not.  Better call if you decide to go that route.

OTOH, McMaster-Carr likely has a "good enough" fix.  See, e.g.,
McMaster-Carr Options ... and you'll get it tomorrow for standard shipping.

Inasmuch as the fastener is an easily identifiable item, i.e., a short screw with a large (for size) black knurled knob, maybe you could just ask the dealer if they seen it?

Good luck with this; it's often a maddening process.

Bill

I never said I use the tool bag! I do however use the flapper door that holds the bag in place. I like to keep a copy of my insurance just in case my phone isn't available. It was a bit of a surprise when I removed my seat and stuff fell out on the ground. And since there is no other storage place on the GRiSO, I'd like to keep the only pocket available useful. Lol. Also I am almost 3 hrs away from the dealer now (for work) and a week later. So there is that.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:45 am

I think Bill already covered it but I measured mine (the bolt under the seat !) just in case.....It's M6 x 16mm threaded section & pitch is 1.0 mm ....the dome head is 16mm diameter & 3mm high but you could cludge any combo of washers & bolt styles to work.....I assumed everyone kept lots of containers full of random bolts & fasteners just for this type of situation (saved under "come in useful if I never use it" category)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Here's mine (original from new):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's an M6 x 10mm thumb knob. I just measured both dimensions. Here's a listing for some on amazon, with Sunday prime delivery:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Moto

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:46 am

^^^^^^^

Wow ... an 8-pack for <$10!  Well done, Sir Moto.  The OP is set for life.  Very Happy

I obviously need to repeat Micrometer 101 because both Moto & Paul got different numbers than I did. That said, this ain't a NASA spec and who knows what different batches Mandello used! Rolling Eyes  

Bill

P.S. Happy 250th to Ludwig! cheers
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:30 am

Well, I did use calipers, not a micrometer, so....

Seriously, Amazon has plenty of 15mm alternatives, which might be better for engaging the threads when the compartment is overstuffed. Search for: "m6 x 15mm thumb knob".

Ludwig is The Man! Happy you noted his bday.

Moto

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:12 pm

Mine went missing too I found a knob on my retired miter saw. Worked perfect.

Bill Hagan and moto like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Seat Bolt Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Bolt Size   Seat Bolt Size Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Seat Bolt Size
Page 1 of 1