GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please

Go down 
+10
JohnA
Steak
antmanbee
Dave Swanson
Gootzibird13
Grisonut
Pete Roper
GuzziSteve
paulbrice
FL1
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FL1
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
FL1

Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Empty
PostSubject: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:53 am

Hey everyone. Long time rider. I became aware of the GRiSO a few years ago and have kept my eyes open for an opportunity to land one. I found a very low mileage 2007 and have some questions. It appears that this is one of the early bikes that is susceptible to the tappet issue, and seeing that it is a low miles bike (8000mi) can someone advise if I am potentially buying a grenade?

Aside from the tappet issue, what else should I be looking at, and any pricing advice as well? TIA -Doug
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:39 am

Welcome Doug, is it an 4 valve head or 2 valve head version ?....2007 would be a very very early 4V as they were launched at the end of that year.

If it's a 2007 4V and no service notes about rollerisation then I'd say it's a grenade, although the rest is generally a great bike. There may/may not be ways to get MG to supply roller bits; it is possible to buy a kit & get it done/do it etc BUT probably best to avoid the pain (& you'd have to knock off at least USD1500 for the risk) and go for a sorted one.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:52 am

There were no 4V GRiSO's in USA till 09. Most likely a nice 1100 2V. Buy it , ride it, jam on it, it won't blow up. UNLESS you modd it to get more poop.

It would be the 1200 GRiSO that needed rollers.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:49 pm

Your avatar says it's an 1100 so no tappet issues.
Back to top Go down
FL1
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
FL1

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:11 pm

I cannot tell if it is a 2 valve, but based on the year and the info I have seen so far, that is what I think I am looking at. He is asking $5500, seems high to me, I dont know if I can go by the nada book, but its around $4100 Not like they are laying around, but I also know people dont know what they are so selling to a small group. My only hold up on the price, I also found an Aprilia Tuono 1000R for $4000, rather have the GRiSO
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:40 pm

If the rocker cover has a black stripe down the middle it's an 1100 2 valver. If it has a black cover over the back third of the rocker cover and four button head bolts holding it on it's a 1200 4 valver. As a 2007 I'm betting it's an 1100 for the reason Steve said. No 1200's until 2009 in the US.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:17 pm

If it's indeed a 1100 (2 valves mill), $5500 is high if it got average mileage but if it has less than 5000 miles, it's a good buy.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: 2013 SE 53,000 miles   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:43 pm

Here is a pic
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:48 pm

53,000 miles
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:46 am

It's an 8V. If it's done 58,000 miles and hasn't been rollerised I would have to say you would want it at a very low price. Sorry.

Given the wire wheels and colour scheme I'd say it's a 2011 or later, if this is the case, and it's actually a 2012, it may be a roller engine bike. The only way to know for sure is to peek under the rocker covers.

While there are a few, comparatively minor, issues with all GRiSO's the flat tappet fiasco is THE burning issue and its vital you know before you purchase. For someone like myself it's less of an issue because of my position in the industry but for a 'Punter' it can make the difference between happiness and despair.

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:47 am

Something doesn't add up - the thread started with a "very low mileage"; 8,000 miles; 2007 GRiSO.........Gootzibird is that your bike OR a picture of the 2007 mentioned bike ??
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 am

Good point Paul. Also I never saw a part of Florida that looked like the background in the pic. More like Virginia, Tennessee or North Georgia, (Shudder!)......

Smells a bit scammy maybe? Tread softly and carry a big stick!
Back to top Go down
FL1
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
FL1

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:46 am

That is not the bike. The one I am looking at is a 2007 with 8k miles. Has the black stripe down the center of the valve cover.

That is great looking bike Gootz, miles on the high side for me.

Gootzibird13 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dave Swanson
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave Swanson

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:35 am

FL1 wrote:
That is not the bike. The one I am looking at is a 2007 with 8k miles. Has the black stripe down the center of the valve cover.

Sounds like you are "In Like Flint" with a 2V head. Assuming the bike is in great cosmetic shape the price is a bit on the high side, but not far off. I would imagine 5k would get it done.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:39 pm

FL1 wrote:

While 8K miles is barely broken in on those Guzzi mills, I'd try to bargain and get it a Grand lower. Unless the whole bike is spotless and shiny like a monkey's peter, I'd spend $5000 on it.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:49 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
It's an 8V. If it's done 58,000 miles and hasn't been rollerised I would have to say you would want it at a very low price. Sorry.

Given the wire wheels and colour scheme I'd say it's a 2011 or later, if this is the case, and it's actually a 2012, it may be a roller engine bike. The only way to know for sure is to peek under the rocker covers.

While there are a few, comparatively minor, issues with all GRiSO's the flat tappet fiasco is THE burning issue and its vital you know before you purchase. For someone like myself it's less of an issue because of my position in the industry but for a 'Punter' it can make the difference between happiness and despair.

Pete...don't crucify me if I'm wrong but it looks like this bike is the "Black Devil" version of the SE and it came right after the Tenni in 2013 to the US market (maybe late 2012) and I had one. It's my avatar actually...
Those were all roller tappet at that point so he's good as far as that.

Having said that, I never heard of a flattie reaching $58K miles on its original bits. Yikes!

Oh and the background is definitely not Florida!! LOL

Gootzibird13 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:24 pm

Easy fellas pic taken Blue Ridge Parkway. And it's 53,000 miles. Not moving on $5000. These bikes are going up in value. It's one of the last of 8V 1200 big blocks and we know are no longer produced. It's a Black Devil, tail piece is Red. As far as rollers it's all in engine # not frame # engine #. Pete knows this stuff. I don't sell things unseen anyway.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:28 pm

And thank you FL1, yes she is purdy.
Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:47 pm

It is possible you are looking at my GRiSO 1100. It is a 2 valve per cylinder like all 2007's as far as I know.
I am asking $4600 and it has 7643 miles. I should probably list it here as well.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:27 pm

Gootzibird13 wrote:
Easy fellas pic taken Blue Ridge Parkway. And it's 53,000 miles. Not moving on $5000. These bikes are going up in value. It's one of the last of 8V 1200 big blocks and we know are no longer produced. It's a Black Devil, tail piece is Red. As far as rollers it's all in engine # not frame # engine #. Pete knows this stuff. I don't sell things unseen anyway.

That bike is an amalgam, possibly a Black Devil up front (sans some striping) 2012-2013, Tenni Saddle 2011, Trophy Red tailpiece cowling 2014-2015ish. US destined GRiSOs came with roller tappets somewhere around the end of April 2012. Mine was one of the first ten to import with rollers.

Curious, but if rollerized, well worth the $5K

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Last edited by Steak on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 pm

antmanbee wrote:
It is possible you are looking at my GRiSO 1100. It is a 2 valve per cylinder like all 2007's as far as I know.
I am asking $4600 and it has 7643 miles. I should probably list it here as well.

On face value, I think $4600 is a very fair price in the US market. The 1100's are pretty bullet proof, the 1200's just have a bit more of most everything, but only a bit. As a gentleman's roadster, they don't differ substantially.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Back to top Go down
FL1
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
FL1

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:17 am

I think it is Antman's bike. I made an offer but to be fair, I am looking for an FJR/Concours14 and regardless how clean the bike is, my interest is capped. Thanks for everyone's help. I apologize on the pricing, I am also looking at a Tuono and confused the asking price on the two bikes.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Well that was a heckuva thread...

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:32 am

Banned for life?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please   Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Newb in FL checking in, buying advice please
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next