GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ethanol E10 Fuel

Go down 
+14
beetle
Pete Roper
kiwi dave
Buellbloke
rick pope
Leone
eeyore
JohnA
BigTime
Oz1200Guzzi
Papa Lazarou
LBC Tenni
motor-timothy
McCarthy1983
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:42 pm

That’s an image of an old postcard from the great state of Iowa where I was born and raised. It’s pretty clearly a joke. GMO -> cartoonishly huge corn cob.
Humor aside, big agribusiness and the politicians they have bought have forced entirely too much corn on us, GMO or otherwise. Corn alcohol is a terrible fuel additive and it has hurt far more people than it has helped worldwide.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:45 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:
That’s an image of an old postcard from the great state of Iowa where I was born and raised.  It’s pretty clearly a joke.  GMO -> cartoonishly huge corn cob.  
Humor aside, big agribusiness and the politicians they have bought have forced entirely too much corn on us, GMO or otherwise.  Corn alcohol is a terrible fuel additive and it has hurt far more people than it has helped worldwide.

One can't let the truth get in the road of a good story...

LBC Tenni likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Thank you Tony. Grandpa liked to say: "Never let truth get in the way of a good story."

Too much corn? Go back and re-visit high school economics. It's supply and demand. If the price is low, less gets grown. Pretty simple. No different than lumber, shoe factories, cars, etc.

As for ethanol hurting more people than it helps? That's a pretty tall statement. I'd be interested in seeing the data.

Big agri-business buying politicians? The biggest ethanol producers in the US were started as co-ops on a shoe string budget.

Ethanol is indeed a poor fuel. But it's a pretty good additive in terms of cleaning up the air. When I was a kid, in the summer time the air was brown. Not now. Is there something better? Perhaps.

Does ethanol make our fuel tanks swell? Yup. Poor choice of materials on MG's part. Plenty of other vehicles have plastic fuel tanks without this problem.

Sometimes emotion over rides common sense.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 pm

Corn is far and away the most subsidized agricultural product in America. In 2020, corn growers received over $9 billion in taxpayer support.  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The rules of supply and demand can hardly apply to the most heavily subsidized crop in the market, even less so when politicians are mandating how much ethanol goes into our fuel.  And they are doing this at the bidding of their huge corporate donors: ADM, Cargill, Valero, Poet, and others.  It’s more political corruption than supply and demand.

As for the harm ethanol inflicts, there is plenty of data available from many sources:

I have a brother who farms corn and soybeans near Rowan Iowa. But I’m not going to ignore the science and all the political shenanigans and pretend ethanol is good. It simply isn’t. And my family link to farming won’t see me putting lipstick on the pig.

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:02 am

+1 LBC

...but I'm in a tiny minority as I cannot for the life of me figure out why most people want to drink corn syrup with added sugar and acid = almost every cola/fizzy drink out there.

I've used it to clean chrome and get things unstuck, but put that stuff in my body??? WTF?

Lets have a corn thread!!!

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:12 am

From the rolling hills of western Iowa. We turn our corn into Bacon, and don't suckle from the teat of the toad.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:28 am

Did someone say bacon?! Now there’s a proper use for corn!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:56 am

Lazlokovacs wrote:
+1 LBC

...but I'm in a tiny minority as I cannot for the life of me figure out why most people want to drink corn syrup with added sugar and acid = almost every cola/fizzy drink out there.

I've used it to clean chrome and get things unstuck, but put that stuff in my body??? WTF?

Lets have a corn thread!!!

I’m with you. When I was a kid, we had to drive past ADM’s biggest corn sweetener plant to get into town. The odor that place gave off was like rotten eggs x10 for miles downwind. It’s permanently burned in my brain.  The rail tankers roll out of there day and night and it’s just one of many such plants! It’s far worse than real sugar for our health. On the rare occasion I want a Coke, I go for the Mexican imported one. They use cane sugar.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 am

I say no subsidies for anything. Let the market pick winners and losers.

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:20 pm

The obesity/health impacts of too much corn are perhaps the worst of the problem:

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:45 pm

I'm a retired corn farmer, they used to let the cattle & hogs out to clean up after picking. Since the govmt likes corps and not family farms most of fences have come down to get those last couple of rows.
Don't quit and give to the kids, it'll cost you 40%.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:28 pm

GuzziSteve, in recent years the harvesting equipment has become so efficient there's nothing left in the fields. I used to rent land from a nature conservancy. Part of my contract was to let a percentage of the crop on the ground. It was pretty difficult to meet that number, as good as the new machines have gotten.

I too am against subsidies. I'm also against those with an agenda who tout that subsidies are given when in fact they are not. Many confuse tax breaks with subsidies. Whole different thing.

And the article linked above about corn being subsidized doesn't mention corn, nor does it mention that the big jump in payouts was called COVID relief.

And this has gotten far from being about GRiSO's. I'm done with it.
Back to top Go down
brmoke
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
brmoke

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:18 pm

The tank made of polyamide 6 from my Morini Granpasso swelled over the winters rest and I found THE solution. The requested fuel is E5. The tank is produced by Acerbis and internally coated with another material, seems like a sort of resin. I put the tank in an oven at 105 °C for 10 days and it lost 299 g of weight due to the humidity which was absorbed by the polamide. It shrinked in a way that the tank covers fitted perfectly, far away from the situation before.
Instead of a professional oven even a two layered wood box with insulation in between can be used. As a heat source one or several filament bulbs with increaesed infrared spectrum and a thermal switch can be used with a narrow thermal gap. Similar boxes are used to temper hand made carbon parts. I hope these hints may be helpful.

Oz1200Guzzi and Leone like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ethanol E10 Fuel   Ethanol E10 Fuel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ethanol E10 Fuel
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2