GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring

Go down 
+5
Speedfrog
tinker
rick pope
Pete Roper
fruk
9 posters
AuthorMessage
fruk
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fruk

Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Empty
PostSubject: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Mon May 15, 2023 7:03 pm

I recently detect a problem with a barely noticeable fuel leak under the tank. AFAIK, there are two potential leakage points that need to be repaired/resealed - quick release coupling and electrical line plastic barrel. Fortunately, both parts have replaceable o-rings so I decided to give it a shot. Due to greater resistance to chemicals and heat, I chose replacement Viton o-rings instead of standard nitrile rubber and silicone o-rings.

I took the opportunity to replace the cable sleeve that was damaged due to the gasoline leak. I used a high quality Teflon/PTFE silicone coated fiberglass sleeve 6mm which is a bit bulkier than the original but should be more adequate for this application.

Together with the cable sleeve, I also replaced the fuel pump connector with new AMP superseal connector and crimped new terminals because I noticed that the old terminals were inadequately crimped at the factory (torn wire seals) as you will see in the photos.

Tools and parts used:

- Pin punch (for punching out plastic barrel holding el. line)
- Circlip pliers (seeger)
- O-ring lube
- Viton o-rings (10x2 mm)
- AMP superseal 4 way connector + terminals
- Teflon/PTFE sleeve
- New quick release coupling (AP8104192, 1072003 FORD)

Photo 1 - Initial state, two points of leakage, destroyed cable sleeve
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Photo 2 - Circlip removed, electrical line plastic barrel pinched out

Photo 3 - New Viton o-rings in place. Greased liberally and put back together, taking care not to pinch the o-rings.

Photo 4 - Removed quick release coupling grub screw

Photo 5 - Removed quick release coupling and fuel pump electrical connector

Photo 6, 7 - Clearly visible damage to the silicone o-ring (due to long-term exposure to gasoline?)

Photo 8 - Inadequately crimped terminals at the factory and torn wire seals

Photo 9 - New quick release coupling (AP8104192, 1072003 FORD) and Viton o-rings

Photo 10 - Installed new quick release coupling, grub screw tightened back with a few drops of Loctite 542 (resistant to fuel)

Photo 11 - New cable sleeve slipped on, new terminals crimped

Photo 12 - New terminals crimped

Photo 13, 14 - ALL DONE!

Photo 15 - Parts used

cheers
Faruk

JohnA, GhostBullet, Speedfrog, jaycain, Peter-3d, GreyGyr and bjor like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Mon May 15, 2023 7:12 pm

Nice. Incidentally the fuel spigot/QD coupling is also available as a Piaggio/Aprilia part.
Back to top Go down
fruk
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fruk

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Tue May 16, 2023 1:35 am

Thank you Pete

Yes, I initially ordered the Aprilia part AP8104192 but later I have realized that there is an identical Ford coupling that is slightly cheaper scratch

Faruk

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Tue May 16, 2023 2:26 am

Probably depends where you are in the world as well. I tried looking for the Ford part and it was bizarrely difficult to order it. You know? Midnight chicken sacrifice type complicated! Just silly. But this is Australia.....

fruk likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Tue May 16, 2023 5:22 am

Nicely done sir!!! I'm surprised you got such nice crimps on your connectors using that crimping pliers. I have the "proper" crimp tool and still struggle with those. Perhaps I should try doing it your way.

fruk likes this post

Back to top Go down
fruk
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fruk

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Tue May 16, 2023 4:52 pm

rick pope wrote:
Nicely done sir!!!  I'm surprised you got such nice crimps on your connectors using that crimping pliers.  I have the "proper" crimp tool and still struggle with those.  Perhaps I should try doing it your way.

Thanks a lot Rick!  Thumbs Up

If by "proper" you meant ratchet type pliers, I completely agree. In theory, they should enable an even application of force on the terminals and thus better crimps, but I also struggle with them and I never got the impression that I really control the process. Probably due to the design of the pliers that enables partial automation of the process. So I still prefer crimping pliers as in the picture because they give me a better feeling (and feedback) when finishing, especially when working with small terminals.

Faruk
Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Tue May 16, 2023 9:56 pm

Wow nice job and well documented. Do you have a part number for the ford fuel coupler? Thanks

fruk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Tue May 16, 2023 11:27 pm

Hey Tinker, Fruk actually mentioned it twice in his first post... but here you go: Ford part# 1072003

Edit: Unless you are referring to the female part of the QR coupling that slips onto the elbow... scratch

fruk likes this post

Back to top Go down
fruk
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fruk

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Wed May 17, 2023 3:50 am

tinker wrote:
Wow nice job and well documented. Do you have a part number for the ford fuel coupler? Thanks

Aprilia/Piaggio part #: AP8104192
FORD part #: 1072003

--------------------------------

GUZZI part #: 01106692 (GU01106692)

I hope this helps
Faruk

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Wed May 17, 2023 12:38 pm

Thanks that’s great sorry I must learn to read more carefully!

fruk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Paulusgg
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Paulusgg

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:16 am

Hi, I have a similar problem with my fuel pump assembly and when removing the tank I've managed to break the spigot..(I know everywhere and everyone says be careful coz it's easy to break but I've got sausages for fingers)
Does the spigot just pull straight out or is there some witchcraft required to remove it? I've removed the grub screw and tried pulling it out, but concerned more force may cause more damage

Thanks for any help arm suggestions
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:01 am

Disregard I didn't read it thoroughly.

Last edited by Gootzibird13 on Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:02 pm

There's a one-way star washer on it. Some members have had to drill it out, if it won't come peacefully.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:49 am

Beautiful documentation, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring   Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel leak from fuel pump wiring
Page 1 of 1