GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?

Go down 
+12
Lazlokovacs
Brent S
BigTime
Leone
Dilliw
motor-timothy
beetle
Bill Dee
LBC Tenni
Oz1200Guzzi
paulbrice
Steak
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Empty
PostSubject: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:02 am

I put the Stelvio battery on the tender a bit too late this winter and I lost my battery which won't hold a charge.  I bought the current one in 2017 for $89.60, now it seems everyone wants $138.95 for the same battery!  (YUAM6220C - YTX20CH-BS)

Looking for an alternative.  I've run a Motobat in the GRiSO before, but they don't seem to be available in the States anymore.

The secondary market is LOADED with cheap YUASA YTX20CH-BS "equivalents" from China, but I'm reluctant to go that direction.

Ran across this Lithium jobber from Battery Tender that looks promising with a spacer to boost it's height.  Anybody have any experience with the Battery Tender / Deltran lithium batteries?  I've never tried a lithium battery before.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How about any of these recommendations from Amazon?

Feel free to suggest another alternative that you've had good luck with.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Personally I'd swallow the extra cost & go genuine YUASA again....over 8 years (on a tender) & still working fine, what price reliability & long life ? I have no experience on alternatives beyond Motobat on my V50 & it doesn't seem as well made (only 1 year in)
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:33 pm

Steve, you probably want somewhere between 12 and 16 AH for any LiFePO4 battery. That one pictured may start your bike but I would consider it a bit underpowered. At the end of the day, it's the CCA that really starts the engine - the more the better.

Apart from that they work fine - mines been in for close to 8 years or maybe more, I can't remember.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:11 pm

This Bikemaster battery has been going strong for about 6 years in my GRiSO.

I’ve also had good results with the Firepower brand in other bikes.

Back to top Go down
Bill Dee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bill Dee

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:11 pm

AVOID any battery Made in China. Go with the YUASA and just pay the price. You will be glad you did.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] for Lithium.

Mine has 360 CCA. I'd recommend getting something rated at that as a minimum.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:41 pm

beetle wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] for Lithium.

Mine has 360 CCA. I'd recommend getting something rated at that as a minimum.

Likewise but before you do make sure there is no parasitic drain or you can kiss your expensive lithium battery goodbye real fast. If it ever gets drained below a critical voltage (which can happen surprisingly quick as the capacity of lithium is far lower than equivalent lead-acid) they usually can't be saved.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:26 pm

Motobat was selling direct on EBay last summer. I think they were $80 but they are a little light on cca in the GRiSO size. They shipped out of Jacksonville
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:18 pm

I just replaced my original with one of these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Supposed to be identical to the US made Yuasa, which appears to be the case.

Prompt service, they also threw in a free DT830 meter (this is almost a gag gift, but still cool to throw in a backpack or give to a kid etc).
Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:38 am

I changed my Yuasa from the factory last year (after 10 years) with an EXIDE Batterie YTX20CH-BS. It's an american company and i bought it from Power Manutention SARL from France, they sell also on ebay - good service.
After one year, there is nothing to say about it - a lot of cars and motobikes are equipped from the factory with Exide batteries.
Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

PostSubject: It's ETX20 CH-BS.   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:57 am

Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:58 am

It's ETX20CH-BS.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:15 am

Not yet convinced on the lithium battery thing. If they happen to go flat they seem to toast themselves. Yeah, they’re lighter, but on a motorcycle that weighs just short of quarter of a tonne anyway, then really, what difference is there? My bike (2014) still has its original Yuasa (keep it on a trickle charger) and wouldn’t hesitate to replace it with same.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:46 am

Not always is toasting the outcome. Really depends on the battery and the BMS within. A few of us use SSB PowerSports batteries with no issue. A few of these I have seen quite flat, but always come back to life with a charge.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:09 am

Fair enough, but the old lead acid version seems to have reliability and longevity on its side. When you’re in the middle of nowhere and it’s 6am on a frosty shit-cold morning, and you hit the stater button, you want the prick of a thing to start.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:19 am

replace the stock battery with a new Yuasa IMHO

My Lithium Batt experiences have all been frustrating, could be a false economy

don't forget to factor in the cost of a Lithium specific charger which will likely be poorly made and probably won't last long either!

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:39 am

You don't need a lithium specific charger. Any old non-fancy charger or 12V power supply will work. The requirement is that the charger doesn't have a desulphation circuit.

In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:20 am

Brent S wrote:
Fair enough, but the old lead acid version seems to have reliability and longevity on its side. When you’re in the middle of nowhere and it’s 6am on a frosty shit-cold morning, and you hit the stater button, you want the prick of a thing to start.

To be fair I was worried about the infamous cold starting of lithium, but I've had 0 issues this winter with my new lithium even when it was below freezing. Sometimes I had to press the start button twice, that's it. There is also the fact that LiFePO4 batteries are used in many snowscooters.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am

This is becoming a tire thread.......
I have had 2 Motobatt - mbtx16 that I bought on Amazon for about $105 delivered. Like previously mentioned, comes out of Jacksonville and I think it says it’s made there. Replaced the first one after 4 years just because I’m a worrier.....was nothing wrong with it. I was an mbtx 20 for$120.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:21 am

I saw an mbtx 20 for 120 today.
Back to top Go down
steveb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
steveb

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:20 pm

just put an exide on mine 50 quid instead of 100 plus for the yuasa all good so far and 3 year warranty
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:01 am

Exide ETX20CH is rated at 220 CCA £50/$65 18AH (Good reviews on bikes not Guzzi's)
Motobatt MBTX16U is rated at 250 CCA £80/$104 19AH (Poor reviews on some Guzzi's)
Yuasa YTX20CH is rated at 270 CCA £120/$156+ 18.5AH (Excellent reviews all bikes)

You pays yer money you takes yer chances.
Back to top Go down
steveb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
steveb

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:45 pm

I have a Exide ETX on my 1100 kept outside not on a tender but used pretty much every day
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:42 am

I have a spare Yuasa YTX20CH which shows 75-80% on the battery tester - kept on an optimate...

It looked old so i bought a new one to get the starting crisper - it made no difference Sad (the 2nd startus fix made the difference).

£20 and you pick it up if anyone nearby needs one?

Btw you can see it on test before you take it away Smile - but the test does drain some CCA Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?   Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive.  Alternatives? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Damn these YUASA batteries got expensive. Alternatives?
Page 1 of 1