GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

greasing swing arm and shock linkages

Go down 
+2
SMTCapeCod
evansnows
6 posters
AuthorMessage
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

greasing swing arm and shock linkages Empty
PostSubject: greasing swing arm and shock linkages   greasing swing arm and shock linkages Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:39 pm

On my to do list during the Winter break is checking and lubricating the swing arm, shock absorber linkages and steering head bearings.
Steering head bearings are a straight forward procedure. But swing arm and rear shock absorber linkages likely need a particular sequence.
Any comprehensive instruction would be greatly appreciated.
Is it feasible to add grease nipples for future use ?
Other than wheel bearings are there any other components that need checking ?
Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: greasing swing arm and shock linkages   greasing swing arm and shock linkages Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:15 pm

Funny, I thought the aft end would probably be easy and didn't much like the prospect of messing with the front suspension and bearings.  Try googling 'Zerk fitting' and 'Steering head" for some varied views.   There's some procedural guidance on the tech forum (immediately below) on the topic tree, that provides visuals and narrative for both.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: greasing swing arm and shock linkages   greasing swing arm and shock linkages Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:54 am

Paul Brice has a guide to both jobs on this site.

In my opinion grease nipples will only work if you drill the bolt and feed outwards.
Cannot feed from outside the link inwards because the needle race outers will sit over any hole.

My Swing arm bearing outers required a great deal of percussive persuasion to get them out!
I put a mudflap front of my rear wheel to keep some crud off - but i expect to redo this 2 yearly or face the consequences
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: greasing swing arm and shock linkages   greasing swing arm and shock linkages Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:27 am

I just went through the swingarm, shock linkage and steering bearings. take the time to review what is needed and consult the web site before starting and you will be fine.

I do have an observation on the steering bearings - it is common knowledge that due to inadequate greasing from the factory there can be corrosion issues with the bottom bearing. I can't help but notice that the top nut has a hex opening straight into the neck ( I use this to hold my long screwdriver when making suspension adjustments). this is most likely where rainwater makes it's way directly into the place we are trying to from corroding.
Has anyone tried to make a plug  (3d printer or something) to put in that hole?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: greasing swing arm and shock linkages   greasing swing arm and shock linkages Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 am

I plugged mine with a black plastic auto body fastener. It looked ugly, so I glued a buffalo nickel to it. Seemed in keeping with GRiSO’s character. Sometimes I imagine I’m riding a charging buffalo.

Pillage!

Steak, Oz1200Guzzi, moto, JohnA and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: greasing swing arm and shock linkages   greasing swing arm and shock linkages Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks for the links.
I just read through Paul's posts.
In the steering head bearing post there's mention on replacing the ball race original with a tapered roller bearing, which seems like a wise upgrade if the originals need replacing.
Anyone know what the part numbers on suitable tapered roller bearings would be ?
Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: greasing swing arm and shock linkages   greasing swing arm and shock linkages Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:38 pm

good job LBC! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Lobo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Lobo

PostSubject: Re: greasing swing arm and shock linkages   greasing swing arm and shock linkages Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:54 am

... I made a bracket for my TPS monitor which used the steering head hole as a mount.
Used a 14mm brushed chrome bolt, through the fabricated bracket, with 2x 14mm nuts then tightened up on the back-side. Wrapped these in PTFE tape to give a tight / friction push down into the headstock. A double win.... (36PSI / Front tyre showing after a couple of hrs on the motorway)

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: greasing swing arm and shock linkages   greasing swing arm and shock linkages Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

greasing swing arm and shock linkages
Page 1 of 1