GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Swingarm greasing-tools required?

Go down 
+7
Nobleswood
avgpetro
Pete Roper
waterbottle
paulbrice
sidrat
wayne68
11 posters
AuthorMessage
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

Swingarm greasing-tools required? Empty
PostSubject: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sun May 14, 2017 10:07 am

Hi all, rollerisation done (thanks for tips Pete), remap done (thanks beetle), now it's time to tackle the swingarm. What tools do i need for it? I don't want to get half way through and realise i need this or that tool to finish.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sun May 14, 2017 11:36 am

Apart from general tools, i didn't need anything special to remove it, grease it and put it back together.
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sun May 14, 2017 11:47 am

Good news, thanks sidrat.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sun May 14, 2017 12:18 pm

be careful separating carc box from shaft enclosure as bolts hard to get to and likely to round + depending what amount of sealant they used may require a car jack to lever apart. If they are rusty or dry but salvageable then it's grease-grease-grease. Pulling up the bearings is a 'feel it and see' . Don't over-tighten the alu pinch bolts else you will have the joy of thread extraction (but on positive side can actually put stainless steel bolts instead).
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sun May 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Since your going this far, clean the regrease the needle roller bearings in the shock linkages too.
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sun May 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Willdo, thanks all. Just been looking at some pics, what size allen key do i need for the spindle? Looks like 14 or 16mm
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sun May 14, 2017 2:17 pm

14mm. And you'll need a 'C' spanner for the castellated locking nut/ring that goes over the spindle to preload the bearings.

Pete
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sun May 14, 2017 2:22 pm

You'll need a 14mm allen socket key (60nm for the axle) and a 30mm 4-point clutch locking socket (10nm for the nut)

not realy sure that i remember the torques correctly, check the manual...

mine had some grease at the axle bearings, the shock lingage bearings were completely dry (all 7)
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Mon May 15, 2017 3:00 am

Thanks everyone, looking forward to getting it done.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Wed May 17, 2017 3:28 pm

See if this helps

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tutorial with pictures !
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Wed May 17, 2017 4:39 pm

be careful substituting bolts for SS as you... may... encounter corrosion , aluminum likes plated carbon steel but not Stainless Steel , plus SS is inherently weaker than Carbon steel  ..
The pinch bolts mentioned are not aluminum but plated carbon steel ....
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Wed May 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Noted. Thanks all, I'm off to France on it next week so I'll wait until i get back.
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Can't make much sense of the torque setting descriptions in the manual regarding shock and bevel box to swingarm. Think I'll do the bevel box at 55nm, not sure on the shock, anyone know which one the 40nm is? Normally I'd go by feel but as it's quite important back there, i'd rather do it right. Cheers
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 am

I read it (and did it!) as top bolt on shock is 50nm; 40nm for bottom 'shock to linkage knuckle'; and then all three wishbone-knuckle bolts as 50nm. I think you either need to attach bottom shock bolt first and then top else the lower bolt is covered by the wishbone OR do the wishbone last (if you removed it).
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks Paul, gonna crack on tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:22 am

All done, didn't remove the shock from the top, as i read it has no bearings up there..
took left side plate off and tied it out of the way, right one stayed put. Tied exhaust to the luggage lugs.
Bar through frame on axle stands supports it nicely.
All the bearings were clean with no rust, but had the absolute minimum amount of grease, now they have the maximum amount.
Castellated nut only needed to be hand tightened (while holding a rag) to remove all play in bearings.
One thing that worried me was the amount of side to side play on the lower shock linkages when disconnected from swingarm, a few mm, almost like there should be spacers in there but nothing was left over at the end.
Is this normal?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Yeah, they move around a bit. There is a top hat bush that goes into the actual swingarm boss but that's it spacer wise.

Pete
Back to top Go down
wayne68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
wayne68

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks Pete
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:40 am

Hi all. Anybody know of a Melbourne-based mechanic who is versed in taking off the CARC and swing arm for the purpose of doing the re-greasing? Suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Rob at Guzzi Spares Australia is familiar with CARC bikes to a degree.

Last edited by Pete Roper on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks Pete.
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Pulled apart my swingarm and shock linkages. Found very little grease on the shock linkages. The needle bearings just fell out. The swingarm bearings were well greased. No problems of corrosion or anything. The only strange thing is that the swingarm pin was only hand tight. I put the 14 mm hex socket in and removed it by hand without a wratchet. I'll clean up everything and reassemble with fresh grease soon. No hurry, roads are still covered in snow till end of March at best.
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:32 pm

nblades wrote:
I'll clean up everything and reassemble with fresh grease soon. No hurry, roads are still covered in snow till end of March at best.

Hey, according to Edmontonians, you guys are in Canada's sub-tropical zone! (says a former Edmontonian...)
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:40 pm

ITSecurity wrote:
nblades wrote:
I'll clean up everything and reassemble with fresh grease soon. No hurry, roads are still covered in snow till end of March at best.

Hey, according to Edmontonians, you guys are in Canada's sub-tropical zone! (says a former Edmontonian...)

Yes it's true ITSecurity, but it seems like the spring is far away right now. Although I did ride in the first week of December this year! Best to get all the winter bike maintenance out of the way, so I can ride all summer without any problems!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm greasing-tools required?   Swingarm greasing-tools required? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Swingarm greasing-tools required?
Page 1 of 1