GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

All weather touring tyre ?

Go down 
+8
Bobcat Sig
Chris W
Holger
wardest
Steak
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
evansnows
12 posters
AuthorMessage
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

All weather touring tyre ? Empty
PostSubject: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sat May 08, 2021 2:02 pm

I have Pirelli diablo rosso corsa tyres on the GRiSO.
For hooning around on dry roads fantastic !

All along though I've been working on developing sport touring GT bike.
On searching for a tyre that is good in the wet and has a longer lifespan
I keep coming up with the Michelin road 5 GT sport touring tyre.
They're not cheap and I'm wondering if anyone has fitted them and how they performed.

Unfortunately here (NZ) there is a blanket 100 klm per hr speed limit.
Get caught doing 140 and it's loss of your licence.

The usual nanny state bullshit but you can't avoid it, and there are speed traps and cop cars everywhere.
What it amounts to is not being able to ride the GRiSO at the speed she's happy with, 140 on good roads with the odd burst to 160.

Anyway because of that a tyre that wears well and is good in the wet is what I'm after,
since I can be on the road for thousands of kilometers on a long trip.
Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sat May 08, 2021 2:13 pm

Road 5 GT is great!

Bill Hagan and Spruce Goose like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sat May 08, 2021 2:56 pm

I love my Road 5's.

And I never exceed the speed limit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sat May 08, 2021 3:06 pm

not much anyway...
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sat May 08, 2021 3:40 pm

The Aussie way . . . she'll be right . . . don't get caught
Wish I was back there
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sat May 08, 2021 4:15 pm

Rosso Corsos disappear fast while touring.  I put fresh RC 2's on the GRiSO for a tour a several years back and I was riding on threads after about 1700 miles with no tire source for 250 miles.  After riding on one cheek or the other, I finally sourced a replacement for the rear, it was paper thin... affraid

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sat May 08, 2021 4:34 pm

Yep that's what I thought.
Curently they're in good condition, my aim is to replace them and sell the
Pirellis to someone who wants that style of tyre while they're still good.
If not I'll wear them out then replace.
The accident I'm recovering from was not due to the tyres, but a couple of tons of rocks and gravel
spilled on to a busy road. Because of the traffic I didn't spot it in time to stop and the front tyre let go as I tried to ride over it.
It's just got me thinking that a tyre that will handle wet roads would be wise, and the Pirelli rear is starting to wear.
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sun May 09, 2021 9:31 am

Currently sporting some new Pirelli Angel GT2 A spec. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sun May 09, 2021 10:58 am

Hello, due to recommendation I also have the Pirelli Angel GT2 fresh on my GRiSO.
A super tyre, great road holding and in the rain it is in the 1st row.

Greetings
Holger
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sun May 09, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanks, they seem to be a good option. I've had problems with Michelin tyres in the past
but the reviews on Google rant on about the road sport 5 GT.
Feedback from GRiSO owners has more relevance !
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sun May 09, 2021 6:22 pm

I have a set of R5's too. Performance is really good wet or dry, the vote is still out on longevity.
have about 2500 miles on them so far and no complaints yet
Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Dunlop RoadSmart 3 for me. I've burned through a few sets on my Ducati Multistrada and my new-to-me GRiSO sports a fresh set and they suit the bike quite well. On my recent fly-and-ride, I did not want to be on any other tire.

lcjohnny and Spruce Goose like this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Tue May 11, 2021 1:47 am

Also recommend Roadsmart 3 for sporty shenanigans in the wet (or dry) on a big heavy bike (BMW R1100s)

Spruce Goose likes this post

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Tue May 11, 2021 12:14 pm

I've decided the Pirelli Angel GT is what I'll go for.
It seems a toss up between the Pirellis or the
Michelin R5 GT for good all weather performance and around 8,000 klm lifespan.
I prefer the look of the Pirellis.
Both expensive but considering the lifespan probably better value overall than cheaper tyres that wear out quicker.
For a long distance tourer not looking for new tyres while touring is the deciding factor for me.

I checked with Pirelli as to whether the A version for heavier bikes was necessary for the GRiSO
they said no, the standard version is fine.

Into Autumn and approaching Winter here so a good all weather tyre is necessary.

Bobcat Sig likes this post

Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Tue May 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Fri May 14, 2021 7:21 am

Re my fitment of Pirelli Angel GT2 A spec cheers cheers

While I cant comment on whether they grip better in the dry or wet better than the Michelin PR 4 i had previously .

One thing I do like about the Pirelli Angel is the low speed maneuvering. Riding the bike slow during U turns in car parks etc. Feels a different bike. ( Less heavy dare I say it)

Bobcat Sig likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Fri May 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Sweet! I bet it’s due to the stepper profiles of the Pirellis. I always felt that the PR4 tires turned in rather slowly and required far more input to tip in the bike. In comparison, the Dunlops and Pirellis wanted to fall right into a turn. It’s a remarkable difference.
Back to top Go down
Bill Dee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bill Dee

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sun May 16, 2021 11:50 am

I put a set of the Angel GT on my 1200 Sport. Really liked the ride and handling. They gave me a lot of confidence to heal the bike over in the twisties.
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Mon May 17, 2021 10:06 am

I've had the PR3's, Angel GTs, the Scorpion Trail II's, and now the 5 GTs. Of these I liked the Scorpions the best, but I wasn't pleased with the miles. After the first ride on the 5 GT's I'll probably go back to the Scorpions unless the mileage is worlds better. Time will tell.

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:54 am

Metzler Roadtec 01SE
Just run them in - lovely tyre with a predictable roll into bends lots of grip and no 'sit-up' on heavy braking.
Good wet grip and a quick warm up

Used these before on Ducati 1200 monster got 6-7000 miles all good till the last 500,  hoping to get more on the GRiSO
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:43 pm

I'm getting a set of Michelin PR6 fitted tomorrow. I got 18,000km out of the rear PR5.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All weather touring tyre ?   All weather touring tyre ? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

All weather touring tyre ?
Page 1 of 1