GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Bank holiday Sump disaster!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eire1400
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Eire1400

Bank holiday Sump disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Bank holiday Sump disaster!!   Bank holiday Sump disaster!! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:24 am

While putting the bike up on the maintenance stand (for a clutch and brake fluid change) on a slight decline, I over estimated the force required and lifted the bike clean over the stand, which in turn whacked the oil return line into the sump and did the following damage....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

New sump or try fix?
Anyone got a good sump lying around!!

Shane
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Bank holiday Sump disaster!!   Bank holiday Sump disaster!! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:12 am

It can possibly be welded by a good man with a TIG kit

The two risk factors are
1) oil, carbon and dirt - getting it clean enough to weld may not be possible if polutants have soaked into the surface esp where the thread was cut
2) porosity and disolved gas in the casting - only really likely if it was die-cast

If you can bolt the flat mating surface to a solid plate to avoid warp and give it to a good welder?

So it depends on the price of a second hand one i suppose
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Bank holiday Sump disaster!!   Bank holiday Sump disaster!! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:19 am

Time sert.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Bank holiday Sump disaster!!   Bank holiday Sump disaster!! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:40 am

Sad doesn't look good - maybe unicorn snot?
might be worth asking an automotive machine shop if they can repair - possibly cut all of the cracked metal out and weld in a new plug - then tap to match. or get a new sump........
Back to top Go down
Eire1400
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Eire1400

PostSubject: Re: Bank holiday Sump disaster!!   Bank holiday Sump disaster!! Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:00 am

Found a new unused one on ebay. 140 euro.
An expensive Clutch fluid change eh!!!
No

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Bank holiday Sump disaster!!   Bank holiday Sump disaster!! Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:22 pm

Eire1400 wrote:
Found a new unused one on ebay. 140 euro.
An expensive Clutch fluid change eh!!!
No

At least you won't do that again!

I did a similar things some years back - someone parked me in and my only option was to ride off the kerb. Split the sump and dumped a heap of oil over my back tyre and road. Nothing a new sump wouldn't fix. I was going to get mine welded up but the guy who was capable of doing it right (and rode bikes) had heart problems and retired very quickly. He insisted (had it happened) that the sump must be bolted flat on a machined surface to ensure no warping. Still have it somewhere...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bank holiday Sump disaster!!   Bank holiday Sump disaster!! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Bank holiday Sump disaster!!
Page 1 of 1