GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

clutch pull reduction ?

Go down 
+4
lcjohnny
voulga77
paulbrice
Odessa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Odessa
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Odessa

clutch pull reduction ? Empty
PostSubject: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:29 am

is there anyway to reduce the clutch pull?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 am

There's a 'clutch pull' thread a few lines down so may be worth reading/adding to that (along with lots of past threads on same topic). It's here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A quick summary from (bad) memory:
- more recent GRiSO's have lighter pull
- California clutch can be fitted and is lighter, but it's a clutch replacement
- You can put more powerful/adjustable master cylinders (I have) to reduce pull at cost of more travel & money
- You could try and upgrade the clutch pushrod slave (that's covered in the link above)
- you could try different levers/change clutch fluid in case that's not helping
- you could go to the gym

lcjohnny and Bulldog9 like this post

Back to top Go down
voulga77
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
voulga77

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:27 am

"Bolcato Racing" in Italy makes a lever kit that reduces pull. It costs about 40 euro.
For info send an email here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:35 am

voulga77 wrote:
"Bolcato Racing" in Italy makes a lever kit that reduces pull. It costs about 40 euro.
For info send an email here    stefano@bolcatoracing.com
The Bolcato clutch lever looks identical to the original with the adjustable pin etc - Pictures below
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
has any one tried it?
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:50 pm

From experience the pull needs to be a certain amount or the clutch activation is insufficient resulting in poor noisy shifting.
No lever is going to reduce the effort needed all it can do is reduce the reach.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:46 am

Actually you trade effort for lift by the leverage ratio
- less effort with less lift or more effort with more lift.

The leverage ratio is set by
(1) mechanically by ratio of distance from hand to pivot point vs push point to pivot point
and/or
(2) hydraulically between the master and command cylinder diameters.

Clutch lift may be a problem - my 1200 starts to drag its clutch after a while anyway: but lets see.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:45 am

If you're finding you don't have enough travel it might be worth experimenting with the next length up clutch pushrod. There are four. Most bikes use one length, can't remember which, but if you're using up too much of the lever travel before getting bite and the plunger on the master cylinder is correctly adjusted it may be that too much of the slave travel is taken up by initial movement of the master piston. Is wasted. A longer pushrod may help.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:12 am

Pete Roper wrote:
If you're finding you don't have enough travel it might be worth experimenting with the next length up clutch pushrod. There are four. Most bikes use one length, can't remember which, but if you're using up too much of the lever travel before getting bite and the plunger on the master cylinder is correctly adjusted it may be that too much of the slave travel is taken up by initial movement of the master piston. Is wasted. A longer pushrod may help.

Are you talking about that pointy pin attached to the lever?
only just discovered that thing yesterday Shocked thing is at max adjustment threaded but un-movable.
(Update) what I thought was pin is in fact an allen head pin securing that pointy thing.
Looking to obtain another new one for some standard levers. Maybe not.

I imagine if had a longer one of those it would require less reach of the lever?
Can you adjust the master cylinder under the rubber boot?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:23 am

Pete's talking about the clutch pushrod....bit more of a job to change than lever pin Wink

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:32 am

[quote="paulbrice"]Pete's talking about the clutch pushrod....bit more of a job to change than lever pin Wink

I do find that frequent shifting is quite wearing on the hand, that clutch pull is quite heavy.
Would not be suprised if that alone drives a lot of owners away as eventually as you age your hands can become weaker.
That or arthritis takes over.

Seen that pin and could not budge it, didnt use extreme force as did not want to damage or break it.
Just spotted this post elsewhere.
I thought was some type of spring loaded split pin in there with my eyesight in the garage. its an allen head  Cool
Worth getting dressed for  Laughing

Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:06 pm

buy a Laverda Jota. Use for a few thousand miles. Clutch pull on a GRiSO will never seem to be a problem ever again.

lcjohnny and moby like this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:17 am

Pete Roper wrote:

An interesting thought Pete - i thought that the lost movement was in the master cylinder after the piston is contacted and before the ports close.  
But it would be strange for Brembo to make a sh1te one in the early 2000s

Next time I am in there will measure the pushrod lenght.
The movement ratio between master and command cylinders works out a 4.34:1 with standard set up and 6.25:1 with oberon so a 0.5mm longer rod will take up just over 3mm of slack
they are available in a number of sizes (and prices)
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:18 pm

Try this---------------------------------------------

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
tev8wIVy56zCh2rBAzKEAYYASABEgIqaPD_BwE

None of my Guzzi's have hyd clutch.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:23 am

My GRiSO has the heaviest Guzzi clutch I have ever ridden (but I may have missed a few models) similar to a 1200 Mirage.

It is fine when you are not changing gear often - but if you need to make progress through a city with frequent use of the clutch and gearchanges and indicating - it is not very nice rabbit

From what Pete says the big money solution is a clutch from a 1400
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:47 am

Nope, while the 1400 clutch is a bit lighter than the 2012 on clutch pull and appreciably lighter than the early clutch pull it's not nearly as big a reduction as I remembered when it first came out. I've just stuck a 1400 clutch in the Green Horror and it's better, but not the answer to a maiden's prayer.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:08 am

Well i have a 2008 model so when the clutch wears down i will try 'later' or 1400 whichever is cheaper Smile

Just waiting for a new tyre so that i can test my new Oberon command cylinder.
Incidentally the Oberon piston has a ball bearing sitting 0.2mm proud in the centre - might see if a teeny spacer could go under that instead of £60 clutch pushrods.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:36 am

I have three of the pushrods. I used to have four but I sent one to a bloke on the understanding if it worked he'd pay me for it. It never came back and there was no further communication. It's happened a bit over the years but I reckon karma will catch up with these people eventually.

Anyway, if you know which one you need I can stick it in a baggy and post it over, it'll be cheaper than £60, just send it back or replace it if you use it.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:25 am

Pete Roper wrote:
I have three of the pushrods. I used to have four but I sent one to a bloke on the understanding if it worked he'd pay me for it. It never came back and there was no further communication. It's happened a bit over the years but I reckon karma will catch up with these people eventually.

Anyway, if you know which one you need I can stick it in a baggy and post it over, it'll be cheaper than £60, just send it back or replace it if you use it.

Have seen karma throw a young boy and his baby brother over the handlebars of a stolen new cheap mtb pushbike.
Watched him face bash the road and crush his baby bro at speed down a hill on the road after he claimed to me it was his bike not my bike when he saw me just after Christmas.
I had said nothing only looked at the bike and chuckled.
The fact he was 4ft nothing and am 6ft 2 the bike was a 30inch frame.
The fact I was glad some f*cker stole it had no bearing  Shocked
It was my wifes pleasure to ride the things not mine as preffered engines in my bikes.
I was happy he was happy with his well oversized stolen pushbike his dad got him for Christmas.
Karma is a nasty b*tch.

I used to lend out stuff all the time, eventually you get stung enough to realise most people even some of your own friends are dishonest.
Have even written dates and times down to prove to myself am not going mad as the denials of conscience you receive can make you believe you are losing the plot.
Some friends are great even if you know that loaned items are gone until you recover them, moreso shared cost expensive tools.
Back to top Go down
voulga77
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
voulga77

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:49 am

Look here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:10 am

Sad broken linky Sad

And i cannot read enough italian to find it

(I can read enough italian to choose beer or wine Smile )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: clutch pull reduction ?   clutch pull reduction ? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

clutch pull reduction ?
Page 1 of 1