GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts Empty
PostSubject: Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts   Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:58 pm

Yesterday I finally got round to stripping down and regreasing the rear suspension.
Fortunately nothing was dry and rusted.

The rear shock cylinder was pitted from road gravel being thrown onto it.
As it happens I recently read the thread on rear huggers and saw that someone had suggested the same solution that I used on my
900  Cagiva Elefant. A rubber skirt. I pop rivetted it in place with a strip of flat aluminium bar on the inside to hold the rubber in place.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also didn't like that the rear caliper was held in place with two bolts that were originally secured with some form of loctite.
I replaced them with two stainless steel socket head bolts drilled to take locking wire.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts   Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:36 am

That Lock-Wiring hurts my Aircraft Engineer's Eyes, please re-do it!! Shocked
You should really de-burr the holes as well, those sharp edges can wear away at the wire.

Nice to see someone else using Lock-Wire though, so it's a good start. Thumbs Up

wardest likes this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts   Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:19 am

Stainless steel screws should not get used for brake calipers.
Simply use 8.8 screws and ensure the correct tightening torque.
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts   Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:56 am

affraid uh ohh; here comes the A2 30X/8.8/Ti tensile strength -- snap -- fastener bolt thread AGAIN !
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts   Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:59 am

We have such a thread? At the German TÜV you could "get in trouble" with e.g. A2-70 screws.
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts   Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:09 pm

The forums are littered with arguments both ways about rusty motorbike bolts (regular tensile steel) replaced with stuff that doesn't rust; they usually range between pure technical engineering perspective, through 'you need to reduce the torque settings' to the 'never had any issues in practice' angle. Trouble is they never end.

I've worked with TUV (in a professional role) in the past but limited to industrial process safety; I'm sure they won't be checking my GRiSO nuts or bolts anytime soon Wink
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts   Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:20 am

I was half expecting the TUV lights and sirens to go berserk when I crossed the Border into Germany on my Stelvio! What a Face What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts   Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Damaged shock and rear caliper bolts
Page 1 of 1