GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Screens and fairings?

Go down 
+9
paulbrice
Bill Dee
Street
Oz1200Guzzi
BobW981
kiwi dave
LBC Tenni
Lazlokovacs
Pete Roper
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Screens and fairings? Empty
PostSubject: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:37 am

As I embark on building myself a more 'Long Distance' touring GRiSO based around the wreck from Queensland that is now ready for rego again. It has to spend a year in Queensland which is fine but while I'm happy with the factory 'Big' screen for sub 1,000km trips I'm inclined to fit something larger for 'Touring'.

I used to have a National Cycle 'Street Shield' EX, in fact I dug it out from under the bench last week but I've mislaid the mounting kit. I can get another kit from National Cycle for $118 US which isn't outrageous but shipping of $75 US was a bit scrotum shrivelling!

I emailed them enquiring on the cost of a complete kit, screen and mounts, and that was only $199 US but although I was told via email shipping would be $85, which for something bulky didn't seem unreasonable or at least didn't make my testicle disappear when I went to their website the quote was $285 US! I've asked for clarification but......

Another question? Has anybody looked at the suitability or possibility of fitment of a Givi A800? I do have one of the now discontinued A660's (I think? Those who have them will correct me is I've got the number wrong.) but Townsville Peter has it on his bike and I don't want to ask for it back. The A800 looks like it might work.

The Street Shield wasn't the prettiest but it worked well on longer journeys. I'll happily revisit it. Perhaps someone could help me out and order it for me in the US and then forward it to me via a cheaper alternative like USPS rather than these absurdly priced couriers!

Here's a shitty photo of it on the bike with Daniel Kalal either just leaving or returning to Bungendore on one of his trips.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:58 am

I tried putting a large screen like yours on my GRiSO for a long trip, the problem I encountered was crazy buffeting but only when I had a pillion on the back. Interestingly, I also find the original Guzzi large screen to be totally unusable with a pillion at anything above 80mph (for both of us), So I'm kind of obliged to take it off if I'm likely to be taking the mrs anywhere. Which is a workout for my neck when making fast progress. I've never experienced this on any other bike so I've been surprised by it. Maybe its the long wheelbase making it a long way from the screen to the passengers helmet? I have A LOT of experience with windscreens and reducing buffeting but this one has got me for the moment.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:56 am

Hi Pete. If you decide on the National Cycle one, I’d be glad to order it and send it via USPS. Just send me the link to the one you want and consider it done.

Don
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:13 am

Thanks Don. They've said they can send it USPS at cheaper cost so I'll go that way.👍

LBC Tenni likes this post

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:27 am

This is what I've got on my GRiSO.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As far as I'm concerned, it's all I need. Big screens are not for me.

I think I installed it when I swapped out the crappy original headlight for the Jeep LED version.

MalG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:39 am

Yup, I’ve got the ‘Large’ factory screen on the Green Horror which still isn’t much bigger than the Dart and it works fine for shorter distances but I’m working on tasking the WOS, (Written Off Shitter.) with a more touring orientated function and for that I do like a bit more protection. It’ll also be getting plusher suspension and a bit more peg drop than the Horror and I’m going to experiment with Mana bars as I have a spare set. Comfort more than anything else is the goal.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:19 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Thanks Don. They've said they can send it USPS at cheaper cost so I'll go that way.👍

Any time Pete. Sincerely, if/when you need an assist from the US, just send me a PM and I’ll be glad to help. I sometimes get busy and don’t keep up with the Ghetto. Without all your help getting my GRiSO right over these last 7 years, I probably would have punted it after the tappet fiasco. I’d probably still be riding my Triumph Bonneville or some boring Japanese shitter!
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:58 am

I appreciate that the Givi A770 is no longer made.  As Pete asked, has anybody tried the below Givi A800N?

Bob
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:18 am

After a Google image search, I found the below images of an A800 fitted to a Guzzi. I’ve not a clue what model they’re supposed to be.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:36 am

That's a V7 III I think which is of course nothing like a GRiSO. I was wondering about the A800, they make a fitting kit for that BMW thingy but it wouldn't work for us.

It depends what you want I suppose. The Dart and their ilk are all quite small, the'Big' factory screen and something like the A800 aren't a lot bigger. That's why I opted for the National Cycle and now the HUGE Parabellum. I really want something that offers some serious weather blockage!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:36 am

Reminds me of the fairing fitted to the 1200 Sport, which has a "special" headlight. Hmm he thinks - my Sport fairing is looking a bit worse for wear and they are hideously expensive, especially since parking the bike under a barbed wire fence on a trip away.

A little over USD400, makes is about 1/3 the price of the Sport one, assuming you could find one in stock. Hmm he thinks again...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:40 am

Tony, I've got an insurance take-off Sport screen lying about if you want it? It's not seriously damaged, just a few scratches. It'd need painting but that's all.

I'll dig it out and take some pics. Actually I've got a few Sport bits you might be interested in. I'll find them.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:44 am

Cheers Pete, gathering of bits for older models is a worthwhile pursuit.

One would imagine it must be in better condition than the one on the bike. The damage (a thumping great hole) is masked by black cloth tape - at a glance it looks OK, up close, well very ordinary.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:28 am

I went and had a dig but no screen, which is weird because I know I had one. Perhaps it's at Michael's place. I do have these.

There's a tiny bit of gravel rash on the light but not enough to get it knocked back at rego I wouldn't think. There are a pair of scratched Stucchi crash bars there as well if you're into that sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:38 am

The A800 looks alright. Might require some creative mounting, but it seems they all need some finagling.

I'm still partial to my Stryker fairing.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

FJFOOL likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:18 am

I do have a spare headlight, Pete - got it through you many years ago - well that's on the bike, and the original I got a Heli coil kit for it as it had stripped the internal 7mm thread. 7mm, you say? Yeah 7mm - so standard, NOT! (I have a few spare coils and tap, if anyone needs same - I'll lend you the tap and tool, you can have a coil).

The guard I have is in good condition as the last one bit the dust under said barbed wire fence - it was cheaper to buy a painted one than unpainted. Go Guzzi.

Pat may be interested in the headlight... Pat? You there mate?

I will take the guard though, Pete, let me know the damages for reparations. Else we can settle up in beers, come November...

Anything else? If you find the screen, I'm up for it too.
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:45 am

rsmike and sideshowbob have both used, painted the Puig screen for the Kawasaki Z900RS. Both suit their respective colour schemes. I recall rsmike had problems with cables fouling, and had resorted to taping them over.

rsmike:

sideshowbob:

The Givi A801 is similar, and also listed for the Z900RS. Steak posted pic elsewhere on Ghetto, but it was inverted/mirrored. Here it is corrected.

This has a similar look to the Stryker used by Mark & Street. I don’t like the flatter screen, but a Double Bubble screen could be made for it.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Bill Dee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bill Dee

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:24 pm

I have a Givi on my Guzzi. 801. It is Ok, but it doesn't really give you much wind protection. I think the bike goes through the air a little better but the air blast to the chest is intensified. A taller screen would be my preference.
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:17 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
That's a V7 III I think which is of course nothing like a GRiSO. I was wondering about the A800, they make a fitting kit for that BMW thingy but it wouldn't work for us.

It depends what you want I suppose. The Dart and their ilk are all quite small, the'Big' factory screen and something like the A800 aren't a lot bigger. That's why I opted for the National Cycle and now the HUGE Parabellum. I really want something that offers some serious weather blockage!

Pete, I’ve had it confirmed, you’re spot on 👍

The current seller bought the Givi to fit V7 III Stone (also BMW R nine T).  Except his is the Stone Night with a lowered headlight, hence it can’t be made to fit.

So my $64 Million question is: Do you think a V7 fairing can be adapted to fit the GRiSO?

At 6’ 3” and broad, for my personal riding I’d prefer a tall fairing / screen to keep my upper body out of the airstream for prolonged high speed cruising. Hence thinking this may do the trick?

Bob
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:26 pm

I'm really buggered if I know to be honest. If you can get the dimensions and headlight height off an R9-T or whatever they're called you could then take the tape measure to the GRiSO and do a guesstimate.

Problem with that is you'd have to go to a BMW showroom and whenever I do that I have a major psychotic episode and have to quell almost overpowering homicidal tendencies.

Not happening..... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:23 pm

I fitted a PUIG Custom 2 a while back - before I bought an OEM one on ebay. The custom 2 is a bit higher than the OEM & there is an 'extender option'.....they also do a bigger PUIG Touring 1 that is quite a bit higher.  The only thing with PUIG is you will need to 'adapt' the existing fittings (longer bolts as min) for bigger handlebars OR (I did this) find a universal fitting kit + mix and match the bits to get best solution.

Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:58 pm

Thanks Paul. I’ve seen these screens, and they’re not the look I’m after.
Ive found that the BMW R9T has the same 7” headlight as the GRiSO. That’s a start, it’s now a case of where the handlebars fit with the Givi A800 fairing. I do intend to use bar risers, so maybe that a variable that could help?

The easier solution could be to go with the Puig Z900RS fairing, but I do like this A800N. I’ve been trying to ring Givi UK to no avail.
I’m definitely not the best at making life simple 🤣

Bob
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:14 am

MRA makes a universal handle bar mount. Might be worth a look.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
jmj77
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jmj77

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:46 am

Hi everybody, and greetings from Finland. My first post here. Just wanted to show my 2011 Tenni with repainted Guzzi California Titanium fairing. It wasn´t direct bolt-on solution, I made new headlight bracket, and also it needed new braces for instrument cluster and for fairing itself. And painting, or should I say finding right paint mix for Tenni green was another story. My local automotive painter is very talented, but still it was not until 8th try when he was happy with result. If I remember correctly, base color is from green that Volvo used in sixties. Maybe I can get mixing chart from painter, I told him to keep that, if there will be need for reparations or touch-up paint etc.

But I´m happy with result, fairing works well and I like how it looks too. Okey, this for now. Safe ride!

Jani

beetle, JohnA, lcjohnny, Bill Dee, SMTCapeCod, Degs and BobW981 like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:02 am

Fairing off a Tit? Brilliant. That looks really good to me. Five stars! Thumbs Up

You have rollerised you bike haven't you?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screens and fairings?   Screens and fairings? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Screens and fairings?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next