GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously

Go down 
+4
Pawel Spoon
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
Eldo850
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Eldo850
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Eldo850

SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Empty
PostSubject: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:10 am

Hi brains trust. Greetings from Tasmania.

So the “spanner” has been on the dash forever, the other day SERVICE and the oil light came on simultaneously. Coincidence or sequence? Bike has done 62km, 1200km since new oil, good level , no leaks or top ups between service. My addled brains thinks this has happened before and then went away. What say you .?

How do I get rid of the “spanner”  . Thanks in advance, cheers pete.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:35 am

Pete, does this have the upper sump plate, between the sump and block? If so, it is probably the upper gasket. I really dunno of the 850 though. Pete Roper should be along shortly.

If it's the gasket, $25 for a pair of gaskets and 30 minutes should get it right.

Spanner can be gotten rid off by going into the dash settings - 12425 (like at the top of this page) is the code to get you into where these things are.

Bill Hagan and Eldo850 like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:51 am

OK. First thing. Do NOT start or ride the bike again until you get to the bottom of the issue. If the oil light has come on along with a service warning this is usually an indicator of catastrophic lubrication failure. Dodgy oil pressure switches do not usually trigger the light, just a memorised code in the dash.

The way to approach this is methodically and I'll start walking you through that tomorrow but the quantity of oil, the 'Level' is utterly irrelevant so discard that as a source of the problem instantly.

Gotta go to sleep now. DO NOT. Start or ride the bike.

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny and Eldo850 like this post

Back to top Go down
Eldo850
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Eldo850

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks mate, sleep well.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:49 pm

Right.coming back to this one.

Firstly, because it's easy, swap out the oil pressure sender switch. Go down to your local 'Wattalottacrap Auto' place and get a Tridon TPS 029 oil pressure sender. It has a bigger hex than the Guzzi switch but it fits, is readily available and is very cheap. If that cures it all well and good but in this circumstance I fear it won't.

The 2V bikes do have the sump spacer and gasket Tony mentions but on the earlier bikes they don't tend to give problems. If though the switch doesn't fix it then it's worth checking and replacing the spacer gasket 'Just because'.

The other thing that it could be that really gets my alarm bells ringing is the possibility of the oil pump rotor having broken up. Now this being a possibility will depend on what model oil pump it has and I don't know if the 850's went to the Gerotor type pump on later models or if they stuck with the spur gear pump? Anyway the best way to find out is to open the timing chest, pull off the camchain and sprockets, take the pump off and look.

If you flick me your vin and engine number I may be able to find out what pump you have.

Try the switch first though. My paranoia may be unfounded.

Oz1200Guzzi and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:14 pm

Hi Pete,

sure it isnt a 039 ?
saw something in that post: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pawel

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:57 pm

I'm going from memory, I might have one handy. Let me have a scrabble about...

Yup, you're right 039. Mea culpa.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Eldo850
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Eldo850

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:34 pm

Thanks all , for what it’s worth, this didn’t happen while I was riding , only after it sat for 6 weeks so hoping the pump didn’t self destruct on starting. Would I have heard anything? Anyway off to get an oil pressure switch tomorrow and work from there. I’ll let you know how I get on. Thanks again, pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:12 am

Unlikely for the pump to suddenly go tits up while sitting. It wouldn't be likely to make an audiable noise if it did. It's sounding as though it is likely the switch, I'm just surprised by the light. Usually they just throw an error code.

Eldo850 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:15 am

When my '07 Norge's oil pump failed -- lobes fractured -- the "Aladdin's Lamp" symbol came on. affraid

If you are not seeing that -- assuming such is also a feature of GRiSO's Shocked -- suspect it's "only" the switch.

Bill

Eldo850 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Eldo850
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Eldo850

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:20 am

So, the problem was the oil pressure switch. To my relief. While the tank was off, replaced various hoses, cleaned connections. SERVICE and red light gone. Thanks Pete and the rest

Oz1200Guzzi, MalG and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:42 am

Clear the fault from the dash to avoid confusion in the future. Good news!

cheers

Eldo850 likes this post

Back to top Go down
iwantone
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
iwantone

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:50 am

So, It looks like I'm facing the same thing. Yesterday I wanted to go out for a ride and my GRiSO just wouldn't start. It 'clicked' once trying to start, but then didn't do anything. Looked at the dash and it said "SERVICE" + the oil light is on.

Tried to start a couple of time, but it never did anything any more. Completely dead. After finding this thread I took the advice Peter gave, I locked my GRiSO and tried not to worry about it.

Today I was investigating a bit more and saw a hose hanging loose. There is something leaking from it, and I can see that there is a hose attachment without a hose that it could fit to.

- What is that hose?
- Is it likely related to my problem?
- Is is useful to start sourcing a oil pressure switch, or do I focus on the hose?

Thanks all for such a great forum.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:41 am

Looks like Pete is traveling so there may be a slow response from him. Others here will certainly reply too. Sounds like you have what we call “Startus Interruptus” you can search that in the search tab at the top. And your hose sounds like a “blow by hose” coming from near the steering head. If possible, you might post a picture of where you think it goes. Possibly the back of the valve cover?
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:27 am

1. Oil gas/vapor return hose.
2. Not related.
3. yea look for a switch and in the mean time reset your service and reset any codes.

Hose looks to be top right return hose, nothing to panic about as often comes off, has no way of securing it on, will need to lift tank, angle it the hose so it sort of forces itself to stay on.
Fits on plastic spigot sticking out front right of airbox.

Need to check fuses as usually startus interuptus clicks then starts second or third try.
You can clear the spanner and any codes by going into Menu on your dash and entering the code at the top of the GRiSO Ghetto page.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:03 am

"Need to check fuses as usually startus interuptus clicks then starts second or third try."

Checking fuses is a good idea. My Startus would never start after the click no matter how many times I tried - just an FYI.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:19 am

JohnA wrote:
"Need to check fuses as usually startus interuptus clicks then starts second or third try."

Checking fuses is a good idea. My Startus would never start after the click no matter how many times I tried - just an FYI.

Laughing Mine always starts after the first click and rarely happens twice in succession.
They're all different these guzzi's Laughing
Back to top Go down
iwantone
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
iwantone

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:06 am

I had a case of startus interruptus since I bought this bike last year. I solved it by tightening the bolt that hold the connectors to the starting motor. Started like never before after that.

This is very different. I tried starting it and it clicks once, then it it just SERVICE and Alladins lamp.

edit: Thanks for the feedback btw. Unfortunatelly I've been wrecking my brain on how to replace the SET/RESET button. It works really badly if at all. The long press never works any more. So resetting the messages is a no go for now.

Anyway, I'll see how far I get from all this. Thanks a bunch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously    SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

SERVICE and oil light came on simultaneously
Page 1 of 1