GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Torque Arm Bush

Go down 
+2
beetle
Buellbloke
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:23 pm

First spotted one of these on Stucci they called it a "Silent Block".
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then when looking for parts to make up a small order from Guzzibits noticed they had same thing but called it a Torque Arm Bush.
Which is is exactly what it is.
Popped the Nut and Bolt out of mine and had a look, its almost solid metal apart from a slither of rubber around the outside for the isolation from the picture.
Could have sworn was around the bolt, probably didnt look hard enough  Sleep

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So what difference will fitting the one with a bigger bit of rubber make?
Does it need one at both ends? Only mention as forgot what that looks like down that end bom
Is the part infact for the other end?

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Guzzi call if a “silent block”. There’s only one at the frame end.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:49 pm

beetle wrote:

Guzzi call if a “silent block”. There’s only one at the frame end.

Call it what you like Laughing
So it does fit the end you can't see.
Is there one there already on the GRiSO and are these just service items?
Whats the symptoms of a fucked one?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:00 pm

Yes, it goes at the end you can’t see. I don’t recall whether the 8V actually had them. The 1100 did.

I have a vague recollection of people retrofitting them. I could be imagining it.

I have a Rossopuro arm like yours. I should probably look at it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:06 pm

My recollections was that it come on the Stelvio and was a retrofit for everything else. Relying on my recollections is a dangerous task indeed. Caveat Emptor!

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:11 pm

They go bad if you jack the throttle on & off like rickyracer. Make a rattle sound in back as you are letting out clutch. Some make the fender shake. I've changed a few. Might not hear the noise if you wear a helmet or ear plugs.

All CARC's have them.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:15 pm

There should be some form of rubber Silentbloc bush at the front, they changed the design at one point, interestingly it must of been post 2008 as when the new gearbox was going into mine we did a comparison of the reaction rods we had hanging around and all of them except the one that came off mine had a beefier bush. I swapped the arm for one of the later ones. At the other end there is what is basically an oversized rose joint in the top of the reaction arm from the bridge, Guzzi call it a 'Spherical bearing' expecting it to be outrageously priced as a spare part I spent a morning going around the bearing factors looking for a suitable replacement. Found one, then looked up the price from the factory and it was dirt cheap so I'd wasted a morning! Laughing What a twonk!

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:48 pm

GuzziSteve wrote:
They go bad if you jack the throttle on & off like rickyracer. Make a rattle sound in back as you are letting out clutch. Some make the fender shake. I've changed a few. Might not hear the noise if you wear a helmet or ear plugs.

All CARC's have them.

Now that sounds very promising Steve as I defo have a f*cking (excuse my french) annoying rattle letting out the clutch in the first couple gears.

Front being frame end, back being actual carc (word end) bridge there's a bridge getting too technical now  Shocked
I stumbled with rose joint but yes the rubber bit around the outside almost makes it a rose only it dont swivel.
So Pete are you saying one could potentially fit one (Silent Block) at both ends? or that the spherical bearing is cheap enough to just replace it anyway.

beetle wrote:
I have a vague recollection of people retrofitting them. I could be imagining it.

I seem to recall someone mentioning them in another post, its one of those things rattles around in your head or your carc.

Last edited by Buellbloke on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:59 pm

When you attack it, pay attention to the holes in the mounting tab on the frame. I’ve seen reports of the holes getting out-of-round.

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:23 am

beetle wrote:

When you attack it, pay attention to the holes in the mounting tab on the frame. I’ve seen reports of the holes getting out-of-round.

Yep mine is like that, or it was.

Rode it off road at the 2019 Adv Rider Festival, noticed a fairly loud clanking from the rear end.
Found out when I got home it was the front Bolt slightly loose in the (inappropriately thin) Mounting Plates.
I opened them out by a few mm, and machined up a couple of shouldered Bushes to make the Bolt fit again.
Had to redo them after a year or so.
If they get loose again, I'm going to weld some thick washers to the Plates.

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:55 pm

Is the Guzzitech forum active as been unable to register with them, they have some pics of this issue but as am not a member am unable to enlarge them.
Evidently peeps have replaced both ends including the spherical bearing with the silent bloc.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:44 am

beetle wrote:

Wish you had could have saved me a steady hours effort and £20, the Rossopuro Arm I imagine is nothing like a standard Guzzi Arm.
Aint no way am going to fit the meaty Guzzi void bush/silent block/torque arm bush in that little hole unless its a smaller version.
Seems to me the Rossopuro setup is decidedly puny in comparison if these things are prone to failing.

All I could do was remove all the slippery stuff somebody packed it with as seemed counter productive (wtf do I know) and fit a couple extra o-rings.
A washer had been used to take up the slack externally, after fitted extra o-rings was no excess slack was very snug fit.
No way them o-rings are going to last very long.
You had any clacking sounds back there from your bike beetle?

beetle wrote:

Anyone know what this pipe was connected to?
Removed left side to swap out the gearshift pinion bolt was greaseless/dry, went from sloppy to not sloppy.

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:32 am

On a Stelvio, that would be one of the Drain Hoses from the Fuel Filler area, I'm guessing that's what it is on the GRiSO too.

A couple of the guys on my FB Group have replaced the Rubber Bush at the front of the Reaction Arm.
As I recall, they said it was simple press-out-press-in job.

Just pulled these off the GT Forum, not sure if they're what you were looking at . . .

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 am

The hose with the brass fitting is the battery tray drain hose.

lcjohnny, Gootzibird13 and Buellbloke like this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:23 pm

Doc. wrote:
A couple of the guys on my FB Group have replaced the Rubber Bush at the front of the Reaction Arm.
As I recall, they said it was simple press-out-press-in job.
Just pulled these off the GT Forum, not sure if they're what you were looking at . . .

I would say the bush on the right is the standard factory item and the bush on the left the Silent bloc the upgrade.
Nothing like whats fitted to the Rosspuro Torque Arm.
As pictured is a sleeved mushroom thing with a thick O-ring one each side mimicking the factory bush.
Problem is if you look at the Rosspuro Arm the centre, will block the fitting of the newer silent block without machining
The middle is not a piece to be pushed out its a step down to the machined in centre.
The cost of machining the billet torque arm and the spacers to fit over the ends of silent bloc to make up the space on the torque arm-
I imagine, far out weight me picking up a 2nd hand original torque arm.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:18 pm

Quote :

No. I also had to add a washer to shim the arm at the frame end.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:43 pm

beetle wrote:

Quote :

No. I also had to add a washer to shim the arm at the frame end.

Did you notice how the Rosspuro Torque Arm bushings mimic the original GRiSO ones.

Know a man who has a CNC lathe, might get the Arm machined to accept the silent bush.
The mushroom fittings machined to accept the bush and take up the space cosmetic wise.
Otherwise am looking at close to £100 to replace the arm for an original just to see if it eliminates an annoying sound Laughing
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:37 pm

I have a few spare Arms, one is yours for the cost of postage, if you want to try it.

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:51 pm

Doc. wrote:
I have a few spare Arms, one is yours for the cost of postage, if you want to try it.

Awesome thankyou very much Doc Cool
Private message Sent
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:45 am

beetle wrote:

Evidently the O-rings fitted in the Rossopuro arm flatten marginally over time, this causes the bushes/mounts they are situated on to sit against the side of the arm.
Sounds that can be heard eminating around that area are squeaking and rattling/clattering sounds.
I knew it wasn't the engine and was sure it wasnt the gearbox as only only heard the sounds in 1st 2nd as moving off or 3rd if the revs were too low.
Well strange but hey ho I thought its a Guzzi maybe they all do that, like 1500rpm's with the clutch pulled.
I might well have had a shock if rode another GRiSO and been much more concerned to sort it.
Fitted two small O-rings beside the large heavy duty marginally flattened ones, enough to lift the Rossopuro bush mounts clear of the arm by a mm or so each side.
Not a clue if this would achieve anything  bom
Was certainly enough to not need to use a packing washer as was a super snug fit in the frame mount.
My only later thinking was the excessive grease I removed I could have maybe applied a smidgen of rubber grease on the o-rings alone, luckily some residue remained from clean up.

Bike is transformed, I rode routes to exacerbate the sounds previouly heard yet heard nothing but the motor. Bliss!
Just need to source me some new heavy duty O-rings.
Am thinking maybe the smaller one of these might do the job I wont mention where they come from or what they are for suffice to say they are unused Laughing
They are certainly heavy duty thats for sure  Smile Fuck fitting in the little one its enough restriction to snap it off  Shocked

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:50 pm

What is this "grease" you speak of? Pretty sure mine went in dry.

I'll give it a tug.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:06 pm

beetle wrote:

What is this "grease" you speak of? Pretty sure mine went in dry.

I'll give it a tug.

Its a pity you can't add lol's to posts as what you wrote after what I wrote is hilarious  Laughing
As long as you understand what those O-rings are Shocked

With caps removed it had been packed with grease like a bearing.
The arm moves up and down lots though very little movement at that end.
O-rings against metal equates to friction over time.
Nothing wrong with applying a little rubber grease to the o-rings and possibly the shaft of the bolt.

A bit like it doesnt hurt to use a small rub of sealant under the plastic rocker cover where it sits against the alloy rocker cover prior to fitting the condom.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Torque Arm Bush Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torque Arm Bush   Torque Arm Bush Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Torque Arm Bush
Page 1 of 1