GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Too much torque you say...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Too much torque you say... Empty
PostSubject: Too much torque you say...   Too much torque you say... Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Learned Gentlemen of the Ghetto...

My 10yo 55,000km 1200 A2 Sport has been Beetle-Mapped to the 'Nth' degree, with the very welcome help of OZ1200.  cheers  

It runs like the proverbial freight train, even has the dulcet clickity clack that is the radial V Twin we love!  Razz  Razz

However, the other day as I was swooping along my local 'testing ground' (the Burringbah Range) I noticed that from 4000rpm in 4th, which is 50 mph on the dial, a healthy application of right wrist sees the rpm climb very rapidly, but without the usual accompanying rise in the right hand needle...

I figured that either the massive arrival of torque has my back wheel breaking traction and I'm leaving a cool (but expensive) strip of rubber up the road...

I didn't smell or see the rubber, so this does seem unlikely  Very Happy

Or my clutch is slipping.  Shocked

Which is no where near as cool. But likely just as expensive.

I can't seem to get it to let go from standstill, or from low speed, only at speed and then under load.
'Normal' riding is, er, normal. Its just when you give it a snap to overtake, or for thrills...
I can see no oil dripping out from the gearbox end of the pump thingy.
Clutch engages and feels like it alway has.
Fluid was changed 12,000k ago. (which is 10% of some others I hear..  Rolling Eyes ).

Standing by for wisdom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Too much torque you say...   Too much torque you say... Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Beginnings of a failing/slipping clutch, will always slip first in a high gear while under load.

Unless you've got something untoward happening in the slave cylinder and its not releasing fully.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Too much torque you say...   Too much torque you say... Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:02 am

Wot he said.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Too much torque you say...   Too much torque you say... Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:37 am

As suspected, although I was hoping for an alternative, like, you're not holding your tongue right as you accelerate, or, if you squint as you up-change, or you're too fat for that bike, get a harley...

Hate it when we run out of magic bullets!

Mr Roper, given her age, with no other obvious conditions, what else should I do on the sunny afternoon when I pull her apart to change out the clutch plate?
Main seal?
Pressure plate?
Grunion fletch?

oh, and thanks for the responses Gents.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too much torque you say...   Too much torque you say... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Too much torque you say...
Page 1 of 1