GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?

Go down 
+6
beetle
Pawel Spoon
BobW981
Doc.
Pete Roper
Degs
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Degs
Carlotto
Carlotto
Degs

Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Empty
PostSubject: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:31 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:09 pm

This has been threatened for literally all of my adult life! It's winter in the northern hemisphere, the silly season has begun.
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:13 pm

Seen this on several Forums.
I'm pretty sure it would only relate to emissions . . .
Quote :
. . . the paper says any owner looking to ‘tamper’ with a system related to the engine or parts that emit gases in a way that could see it pollute would become a crime . . .
, and probably only apply to new vehicles . . .
Back to top Go down
Degs
Carlotto
Carlotto
Degs

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:18 pm

Wonder if my Beetle map would count.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:31 pm

Oh probably. Although I don't think anyone who has to get their bike through an EGA test for inspection has been knocked back yet.
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:31 pm

It has been hinted and suggested for many years, we wait and see.

Potentially it could become akin to the German TUV, where they can change very little, and any mods must be approved. It would kill much of the aftermarket custom kit.

But, as and when….

Degs likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:35 pm

All the more excuse not to be a noisy moron. Play stupid games? Win stupid prizes! Tread softly and you'll get left alone......

River Rat and Degs like this post

Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:37 am

It cant be applied to old bikes.
And even if, how should that work?
There is no exhaust measurement needed during the annual, or bi nual check.
Not in my garage.

What I would fear more is the fucking autonomous vehicles permanently recording everything incl. my illegal overtaking.. speeding etc.

Degs likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:49 am

My maps have passed TÃœV emissions tests. No reason why the wouldn't pass a MOT test. The self-proclaimed Guru's who's mantra is "pour more fuel in to make it run smooth & cool" will fail miserably.

I rule.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi, lcjohnny, Bulldog9, Doc., valleydog and Degs like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:08 am

Sure fire sign of a fucktard. "Make it run cool"! What the hell do they think makes an IC motor work???

Doc. and Degs like this post

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:52 am

I think the fact that Bikes still aren't tested for emissions in the annual check here (UK), shows that they're not really bothered about us, being such a relatively miniscule proportion of the vehicles on the roads.

I'm with Pete 100%, keep your heads down, and try not to draw too much attention . . .

While I was in Portugal last month, riders were up in arms about the announcement that Bikes would have to have an annual inspection, from Jan 1st next year.
The EU directive only came out about 10yrs ago . . .

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:44 pm

I've don't know if this is truly the case but what I've been told is that no bike imported into NZ will be registered without abs brakes.

Certainly they've killed the DR650 as no new ones will be sold without abs brakes
a redesign isn't feasible as it brings in a whole lot of other stuff that didn't apply for the existing design.

Big Brother and the nanny state strike again
Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
valleydog
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
valleydog

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:41 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Sure fire sign of a fucktard. "Make it run cool"! What the hell do they think makes an IC motor work???

Actually, at least on carbutettored engines , a rich mixture at the top does make the engine run cooler.
I used to tune and race v6 Fords (Essex 3 litres) , and merely changing the air jets from 180 to 210 made the engine run hotter - not a bad thing in normal use but at sustained 7000 rpm we wanted that extra fuel to cool things.
Not saying it lowers combustion temp whilst the charge is burning but the extra incoming charge does take up some heat during the induction stroke. Something to do with vaporization- perhaps a professor of thermal dynamics could explain it.
Very well known with 2 strokes also , the go too lean they melt pistons .
Sure go better lean , but you dont get to finish the race.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:25 am

Why the fuck would you want an engine to run cooler? You do understand how an IC engine works? It uses HEAT to make the gas in the combustion chamber/cylinder expand. More heat? Greater expansion! It's not very good at it. Even the best piston engines are only about 30-35% efficient but trying to reduce heat is insane! You want the poxy thing to run as hot as it can without it destroying itself! Anything else is cretinous!
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:08 am

evansnows wrote:
. . . Certainly they've killed the DR650 as no new ones will be sold without abs brakes
a redesign isn't feasible as it brings in a whole lot of other stuff that didn't apply for the existing design . . .

I don't see why ABS can't be fitted to any Bike, when you consider that Honda can do it on this . . .
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:42 am

....& you'd think (I would) it shouldn't be too hard to include in a general refresh of existing models (now we have 'brake-by-wire' technology).

I could understand the old BMW clunky integrated hydraulic switched units being too much but all that's needed today is to replace the brake slaves with a motorised plunger; add a sensor to wheel motion/disk; stick a variable resistance brake/foot lever sensor; run some wires & add a few codes to the ECU..
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:42 am

The ABS brake requirement means the DR 650 is no longer in the category that it was first produced in
in, 30 years ago. As soon as one major change is legislated then everything has to comply to todays regulations. You'd have to watch the Utube videos to get the whole story but basically scrap the whole thing and start again.
The DR 650 is the two wheeled equivalent of the earlier land rovers. Simple, basic design, go anywhere do anything. Cheap to buy and tons of upgrades to make it yours. Watch some of the insane Aussies on the "bush pig" to see how much fun they can be. Or should I say were !
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:41 am

Maybe we can't get new ones (not that I'd want anything new anyway), but at least we can still enjoy the old ones for as long as we can keep them going!
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:18 pm

It was the guy that imported my GRiSO from Japan who first indicted that he couldn't import anything without ABS when the new rules apply ( this month as far as I know )
If that's the case then unless our "non compliant with the new rules" bikes are already registered in NZ
we're stuffed !
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

eeek. Posers everywhere are shattered. At least in New York. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?   Scary stuff coming to EU and UK? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Scary stuff coming to EU and UK?
Page 1 of 1