GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Empty
PostSubject: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:10 pm

Maybe I'm way off track here but I assume there is only a limited number of replacement tappett covers available
and of course they are vulnerable in any fall.

If I'm right and there will eventually be none available I think most damaged ones could be repaired.

I'm in the process of turning out cheap composite protectors for the vulnerable edge and they could be used to disguise
any repair work.

Whatever don't just bin damaged ones one way or another they are probably salvageable and the casting is pretty complex
to replicate if none were available.

If I'm chasing a red herring by all means set me straight

MalG likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:51 pm

As I'm Mr Crashy, I've been repairing mine with JB Weld. It's not a big job.

Michael at Motomoda has been refurbishing them for a while, too. His work is excellent.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:28 pm

I contacted these guys to see if they will be manufacturing carbon tappet covers. Their answer was that they will be. I suspect they'll be expensive as it won't be easy to make them but it will be good to know there is an alternative as the original units become scarce.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:29 pm

Evans, I haven't been able to get those rocker covers off to you this week, sorry. I'll try to get to the PO tomorrow morning.
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:44 pm

I've added the final touch to my tappet covers.
Starting with a piece of 16mm stainless bar. Cut in half with an angle grinder and thin cutting wheel.
bent in the vice to follow the curve of the tappet cover. Drilled and countersunk for 5mm countersunk
socket head machine thread screws. tidied up and polished.

Composite cover drilled and threaded inserts inserted

Dry fit I'll bond it with high strength black epoxy as well as the machine screws.

Something like this could be bolted directly to the tappet cover without the carbon I believe.

Very little expense to try this for yourself.
A machinist gave me the 16mm stock and the rest I had kicking around.

As far as I can tell this gives good protection without the danger of distorting the frame which is said to be an issue with the crash bars.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:58 am

Sorta like a sacrificial anode!
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:45 pm

My next steps in protection to my GRiSO.
Button head set screws on the bottom edge of the oil cooler shroud

Button heads on the carc protector that was on the bike. The carbon is only 1mm thick so wouldn't take much to wear through.
These seem to be unavailable. I'm in the process of making black fibreglass ones at the moment.

These turned up today.
They are a class bit of kit and good value at 68 pounds 48 p for a pair, delivered.
Now it remains to be seen if I can adapt them to fit.

Assuming I can then I'll have done all I can to protect my GRiSO from a further slide up the road
The headers and muffler would suffer on a left side adventure but I'm not into bolting on ironmongery
and spoiling the looks of what I consider a classic and I certainly won't be looking to fall off again anyway !

I'm waiting on the tappet covers that Pete sent to turn up
( This time of the year bringing a cut lunch is advisable )
I'll keep a photo record of the process of making the tappet cover and carc protectors as I go.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:37 pm

Sorry Evans, I still haven't sent them. I've had a bit on and I always suffer depression at the change of seasons and have been a bit apathetic.

I'll get em off tomorrow, promise. I'm also going to fling in a Breva dashboard for a bloke in Christchurch if I can find it. If you could forward it on to him that would be great, he's not wealthy and it will save on postage. cheers
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:45 am

No worries.
Pleased for you that the new bike is up and running.
The ride to Queensland will blow the cobwebs away
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away   Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Don't throw those damaged tappett covers away
Page 1 of 1