GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Polishing exhaust.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hcfarmer
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Hcfarmer

Polishing exhaust. Empty
PostSubject: Polishing exhaust.   Polishing exhaust. Icon_minitime1Sun May 08, 2022 11:58 am

Not sure what type of Chemical the previous owner drove through, but it left stains on the exhaust. For a quick and somewhat easy polishing, I used a Die Grinder with 2" Roblox wool pads. For the hard to get to areas I used a Dremel with wool wheels. For compound I used the Dark Brown to cut the stains, then Green to buff to a high luster. Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

Polishing exhaust. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polishing exhaust.   Polishing exhaust. Icon_minitime1Sun May 08, 2022 12:29 pm

make it easier for yourself...take AUTOSOL Metal Polish and massage it in with a soft sponge;
then polish with a woollen cloth: like new.

Hcfarmer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hcfarmer
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Hcfarmer

Polishing exhaust. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polishing exhaust.   Polishing exhaust. Icon_minitime1Sun May 08, 2022 2:16 pm

Tried it, as well as several others. They didn't make a dent in the stains. Took about 45 minutes to do both sides with the die Grinder and Dremel. Just a little tricky getting into the tight area.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Polishing exhaust. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polishing exhaust.   Polishing exhaust. Icon_minitime1Sun May 08, 2022 3:49 pm

I have had similar discoloration on all my Grisos. I take some 220 wet and dry and soak it in WD-40. This takes it down to a satin finish very quickly. Follow with your favorite metal polish to get the shine back.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hcfarmer likes this post

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

Polishing exhaust. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polishing exhaust.   Polishing exhaust. Icon_minitime1Sun May 08, 2022 7:04 pm

When I got my Griiso the same ugly discoloration was present.
When I did the roller conversion I polished the pipes but on running the discoloration came back.

I'd stepped in the original muffler 19mm and painted it satin black when I got the bike as I like the sound but I wanted to tone down the look.

After the discoloration returned I had the headers ceramic coated black.
It's not degraded in 18 months and wasn't expensive.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The tappet covers have been polished since this photo and look heaps better for it.

Hcfarmer and Yahu like this post

Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Polishing exhaust. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polishing exhaust.   Polishing exhaust. Icon_minitime1Tue May 10, 2022 4:52 am

All of you average results, take the headers off, kill two birds with one stone as the header nuts are normally rusted bad on the inside. Also gets new gaskets out of it. Take it to a polisher and get superior results. Then fit brass domed nuts that never rust or gall and match that glorious gold colour the header pipes go.

Got Pretzel/link pipe polished same time.

Why would you take a gorgeous stainless system and paint it black ...each to their own bom

People think I have a brand new system fitted, I did find that the scarring popped back thru the finish like spikes, a soft copper brush rubbed violently will remove them without damaging the finish.

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Polishing exhaust. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polishing exhaust.   Polishing exhaust. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Polishing exhaust.
Page 1 of 1