GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

More dying, surging

Go down 
+3
Chris W
lcjohnny
guzziownr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

More dying, surging Empty
PostSubject: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:44 pm

The '13 had issues that were cured temporarily by spraying the relays with DeOxit. The bike has been sitting for a while so I took it out for a spin. It started and ran but eventually, the symptoms reappeared. A quick trip the the AF1 website found this info.

(1) Are replacement relays generic? (cheaper elsewhere)

(2) Is the ground pictured with an arrow a potential source of problems?

TIA DW[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:11 am

My two pennorth
I have looked and not been able to find those parallel pin thin MG relays elsewhere.

All earth/ground connections are a potential source of problems
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:46 am

there's always this.......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

courtesy of wally world - says it works on non-running engines!!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:02 am

lcjohnny wrote:
My two pennorth
I have looked and not been able to find those parallel pin thin MG relays elsewhere.

Hmm, I need to find and clean that ground. I'm thinking it's in the tail, true?
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:04 am

Chris W wrote:
there's always this.......
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
courtesy of wally world - says it works on non-running engines!!

You joke, but I will be doing something similar. I just filled it up with premium gas, so now is a good time for the magic elixir, in this case Techron fuel additive.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:45 am

lcjohnny wrote:
My two pennorth

I have some that were replaced on my long gone V11 Le Mans.  They were replaced because of their reputation for failure.

Mine did not show any symptoms, but were replaced as a simple precaution.

If you are still looking for some, give me a yell.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:52 am

guzziownr wrote:
lcjohnny wrote:
My two pennorth

Hmm, I need to find and clean that ground. I'm thinking it's in the tail, true?

If you look at the other two connectors from that part of the loom they are the trigger wire that goes onto the starter solenoid and the lambda probe connector. That resides just inboard of the starter solenoid so I'd suggest disconnecting the battery and then taking off the starter cover. You should then be able to see both the trigger feed and lambda connector. Just trace them back to the loom and the third wire will be that earth which can then be followed to wherever it's bolted. To tell you the truth I've no idea as it doesn't ring any bells.......
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:24 am

You could do worse than move the earth to one of the bell-housing bolts - a much better place. You will need to enlargen the eyes of the lugs though. The original earthing point is a bit suspect, from the factory.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:28 am

Ah, yes. If that is the main earth, (Which makes sense, sorry, I'm not firing on all six this morning.) it bolts under the hexagonal *Thingy* the top bolt of the starter cover goes into...

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:47 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Ah, yes. If that is the main earth, (Which makes sense, sorry, I'm not firing on all six this morning.) it bolts under the hexagonal *Thingy* the top bolt of the starter cover goes into...

Which is prone to breaking if tightened too much - ask me how I know. It's only a cover mount in reality, why it was chosen for a main earth only someone in Italy knows and they will probably deny it's a problem.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am

kiwi dave wrote:
[quote="lcjohnny" not been able to find those parallel pin thin MG relays elsewhere.

I have some that were replaced on my long gone V11 Le Mans

If you are still looking for some, give me a yell.[/quote]

Thank you Dave  - but not needed.

I wanted to change them out to standard 12v relays as a precaustion but realised the rubber mountings are hard to get.
So when i need to change them i will go to micro relays which top mount on these brackets [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:24 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
You could do worse than move the earth to one of the bell-housing bolts - a much better place. You will need to enlargen the eyes of the lugs though. The original earthing point is a bit suspect, from the factory.

Aha, I see the main ground obviously, where is that second ground? Is it on the frame?
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:26 am

Update: I rode my '75 Eldorado to the Auto Parts store and bought the aforementioned elixir. Half a bottle went into the tank. I pulled all 5 relays and sprayed them (again!) with DeOxit. I also swapped them around so that each relay was in a different place.

Eventually I suited up, started the bike and... it ran like shit. Coughing and wheezing I had to run it up to 5K to get down the road.

I stopped at the corner and the bike shut down as it would not idle. I restarted and headed for the library figuring I could walk home if necessary.

Were things improving? Two miles away, at the Library, I sat in Neutral for a few seconds. The bike almost died, idling around 900, then 1,000, then 1,100 and finally settled at 1,200 and smoothed out.

I texted the wife and took the bike for a "Torino tune-up". In a few minutes, it smoothed right out. The missing power came back and it ran as new. Techron for the win? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:48 am

Have you completely drained the tank and made sure the drain around the filler isn't blocked and it's hose isn't kinked. If the drain is blocked water will get into the tank. If the fuel additive has helped it may well be its desiccant property that is assisting.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:23 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Have you completely drained the tank and made sure the drain around the filler isn't blocked and it's hose isn't kinked. If the drain is blocked water will get into the tank. If the fuel additive has helped it may well be its desiccant property that is assisting.

Tank was drained two tankfuls ago and it hasn't been in the rain since. I will check the hose for kinks. (edit: Kink free, drains easily)

I like your theory as water is heavier than gas and would head for the bottom of the tank while the bike sits. Perhaps I got a bad tankful!
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:11 pm

I fixed a buddy's 5 Series BMW with a bottle one day. He took it in to the dealer anyway and they still lightened his wallet up.

This reminds me to pick up a bottle when I get back to NC in a couple of weeks.

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:47 pm

Dilliw wrote:

This reminds me to pick up a bottle when I get back to NC in a couple of weeks.

NAPA has it on sale this month, $4.99

I think what happened was two separate problems. One was related to the relays/plug wires and the other was a bad tank of gas.

Shortly after I sorted the relays and plug wires I was low on gas and filled up with premium but it wasn't my usual place.

I have a ride scheduled for all day Friday with my Massachusetts brethren so I will try and ride through my current tank of gas today and tomorrow and finish the bottle of Techron with my fill-up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More dying, surging   More dying, surging Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

More dying, surging
Page 1 of 1