GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Clutch not working properly

Go down 
+4
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Pete Roper
Cowboy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Cowboy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Cowboy

Clutch not working properly  Empty
PostSubject: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:58 pm

Hi, got a problem with the clutch. If I pull it in quick the clutch works ok but if I pull the lever slowly with little pressure it will go all the way back to the bars without activating the clutch. I'm thinking master cylinder seals gone but has anyone else had this problem before I start spending money.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:20 pm

Without actually giving it a grope I'd say you are spot on.

How many times in its life has it had it's clutch fluid bled? What year bike? Sadly, and for some reason we've never managed to work, CARC bikes are murder on clutch fluid. If you bleed it clean within a few weeks it'll be black as coal!

We bleed all hydraulics every 10,000km service or yearly. Is that overkill? Well, it seems to save the seals on the bikes we do regularly. (Shrug?)

The original master cylinders are still available but are poisonously expensive. The clutch master on my Tenni beast is dodgy at best, (Although since bleeding several times it seems *Better* but not right/perfect.) I'm seriously considering going to radial masters on the yellow bike and transferring the clutch master over to the Tenni. Problem is I hate those 'Piss cup' reservoirs the radials usually use and while I know that *Solid Mount* ones are available because Mark has them I can't remember their actual cost as it was so absurdly astronomical that I fainted when he told me and had to spend three months in therapy to cope! I seem to remember something like €400+ was the figure quoted! affraid

Cowboy likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:06 pm

€420 a pair plus shipping.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Cowboy likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Cowboy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:51 pm

Wouldn't it be better to get a seal kit?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:21 pm

Well yes, it would.

BUT.......

I bought one off the innerneck and it's incorrect.

Brembo don't market a kit for the MC used on the CARC bikes specifically but I'm hoping I can find a cross reference.

Often the problem isn't actually the seals, it's the bore of the MC. Now if you're lucky you can sleeve it but if you can't then a new MC is the only choice.

Cowboy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:13 am

Fully agree with Pete's diagnosis, mine did exactly the same. Luckily I scored a known, good 2nd hand unit.

Cowboy likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:05 am

I think the reason that the clutch fluid goes black (and that the standard clutch reservoirs corrode really quickly) is that the rubber boot in the clutch reservoir does not expand as the fluid moves - it gets sucked in and leaks air and water inwards and a bit of brake fluid outwards.

If you look at the boot in the brake reservoir it is the normal sort that is folded so it can expand as the fluid goes down. the one in the clutch cylinder is not folded - it can't expand it just gets sucked in as the fluid goes down.

Well my one does and with the oberon cylinder at the bottom when i bleed it the lower fluid comes out clear then the darker fluid comes down from the reservoir.

My two pennorth

Cowboy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cowboy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:36 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have a think about my next move. Luckily I have other bike's so there's no rush.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:06 am

No matter what, if you own a 8V, you're in to bleed the clutch fluid periodically like Pete says.
It's not hard so not a pain in the butt.
I bleed mine at every service intervals but I replace the fluid twice in between... I basically suck it out of the reservoir with a syringe (not completely) and top it up with new fluid.
Back to top Go down
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:11 am

Dammit. I bled the clutch, new Dot 4, rode around the block, all good. But while writing the note into the GRiSO’s journal, I noticed my handwritten note that last February, Desmoto (shop) billed me for 500ml of Dot 5…. wtf? Pulled the bike out again and flushed all 350 ml of the Dot 4 through the clutch lines. Will I be good? I’ve another unopened 350 ml bottle of Dot4 with me…
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:07 pm

Let's hope that they actually used DOT 5.1.......
Back to top Go down
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:11 pm

Must have. I’d’ve had problems by now.
So I’ve had a scotch, and calmed down a little.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:35 pm

I agree. You'd have issues by now...
Just keep an eye on the fluid, as soon as it gets too dark, just replace it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch not working properly    Clutch not working properly  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Clutch not working properly
Page 1 of 1