GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tank quick release connection

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

Tank quick release connection Empty
PostSubject: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:37 pm

Hi everyone,
This is an emergency😁
Can someone tell me how the fuel quick release connection on the tank works?
I tried a little pull and push on the white ring but its not working...
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:48 pm

(1) You depressurise the fuel pipes by starting the engine then disconnecting the tank electric plug when the engine stops the pip[es have been drained so you are ready. turn it off.
(2) you push the pipe towards the tank fitting, then pull the grey collar away from the tank fitting (there is no click or other positive sign it has worked) then the pipe and collar should slide off. Grease them with silicone grease before re-fitting.

If that does not work unplug the injectors and undo the allen screw retaining them to the inlets, twist them gently and they will come out. Then as yu raise the tank tou can thread them through the cables and tubes and lift the lot off.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:55 pm

lcjohnny wrote:
(1) You depressurise the fuel pipes by starting the engine then disconnecting the tank electric plug when the engine stops the pip[es have been drained so you are ready. turn it off.

I did not Jon....I was following the manual instructions for tank removal and it was not mentioned, so I not even thought about it...
Now I have already removed the battery. I might have to connect it back and try it...

I was trying to remove the tank to have access to the inner spark plugs.
Just by raising moving the tank back I managed to get "some" access to the plugs
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

inserting my hands above and under the frame tube I am able to apply a considerable force to the spark plug wrench, keeping it well aligned with the plugs as recommended by Pete...I don't want another headacke...
The problem is that these plugs are not giving any sign they want to move...
I sprayed some WD-40 over them and I am going to let it soak overnight...I'm praying they will be more cooperative tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:11 pm

Another thing...
I shaved a tube wrench to a diameter of around 20,75 mm as mentioned in another thread.
I hope this is enough and that any remmaining of flat surface on the outside is not jammeing in the tight space around the plugs, preventing it from turning...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:15 pm

I'd really recommend getting a decent thin wall socket that you can get a breaker bar or ratchet on rather then using a ground down box spanner like that. Getting sufficient torque, evenly applied, onto the plug using that setup is asking for the plug to shear off if it is seized in or very tight.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:19 pm

Also wd40 is not a penetrating oil, it is a water displacer. So it may work but PlusGas or Mr Penetrator or similar would have more chance.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:39 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
I'd really recommend getting a decent thin wall socket that you can get a breaker bar or ratchet on rather then using a ground down box spanner like that. Getting sufficient torque, evenly applied, onto the plug using that setup is asking for the plug to shear off if it is seized in or very tight.

You are making me nervous Pete pale
I will give it a second, carefull, go tomorrow.
If these plugs keep stuborn and will go after a "decent socket" like you said
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:23 pm

A good penetrating oil can be made at home using 50% ATF (Automatic Tranmission Fluid) and 50% Acetone.

Like Jon said, WD is a water Displacement fluid - WD40 is the 40th version they made before they got it right. Also do no use it in locks...
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:24 am

Hi all,

Finally, with extra care and extra leverage, I was able today to remove the spark plugs
They look better than I expected, considering they have done 43.000 km...
But they do look a bit overheated....Yes, the last stride was of 300 km, fully loaded, and with sunny day of 35ºC....
But during this trip (around 1.000 km) I also removed the dbkiller...
What do you think Beetle, should I try the Nocat_NodbK map even thou the can has a small cat?

I was also considering to apply some copper paste to the plug threads to avoid seizing, but at the same time I am affraid they will turn loose with time...they are not in a good position to check now and then...
Any experince with that? What tigthening torque/method are you guys using? 1/4 turn after the washer contacts the engine thread?

Thanks as usual:)
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:43 pm

Jesus, there is always something that doesn't want to come of....
These are the holes to connect the manometers for the TB balancing, right?
What's the secret to remove these screws?!!! How can they bem só right? Seems I will destroy the screw heads any minute...Shall I heat them up a little?

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:44 pm

How can they be so right?.....this spelling corrector makes me crazy
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:05 pm

Matias they are made of cheese same as the rocker box screws.

I sugggest heating them up with a blow-lamp and (gently) using an impact driver to remove them
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:55 pm

Give them a tap with a small hammer to break the corrosion and then use a good quality key socket to apply torque slowly. These fasteners are one of the reasons high quality tools pay for themselves.

If you do end up rounding them out you can get them out with a cold chisel. Then replace them with standard Allen bolts.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks guys.
It seemed those screws were born there...I applied heat, I applied penetrating oil (not WD40 this time...), I applied hammer tap, good allen key...and still they didn't wanted to come out.
So I applied a good quality grip plier Smile to their stupid heads and twisted and...it worked. And I didn't damaged the heads, just a small scratch.

But....finally....mission accomplished!:
-Exhaust leaks sorted out
-New inner plugs
-TBs balanced with my new Carbtune
-TPS reset
-CO trimmed

Can't wait for tomorrow to do a drive test bounce

I had to give a 1/4 of a turn on the bell-crank adjuster to get the TBs balanced at 3500 rpm.
Curiously my idle was balanced with both air bleeds closed, so I left them that way.
While I was gasing up to reach the 3500-4000 rpm the columns of the carbtune had a somehow erratic behavior...Do you have the same experience?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:25 pm

Both air bleeds closed is fine. As for the movement of the rods in the Carbtune? You can always damp them with clamps.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:05 pm

The Carbtune kit included a restrictor (a plastic tube with a tiny passage) to be intersected on the rubber hoses, and I installed it.
The columns were stable (not "vibrating", I mean), what I wanted to say is that when I opened the gas slowly to reach the 4000 sometimes the right was higher, sometimes the left...But when stabilizing the rpms they ended up leveling
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:06 pm

How do those spark plugs (previous mail) look to you Pete?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:18 pm

They've been in there forever.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:44 pm

Hi everyone,

Here's the update from the test ride:
- The engine got much smoother, especially in the low range
- The fuel use went significantly down. It was common for this bike to show 6 L/100 km in the dashboard. At the end of the ride today it was showing 4,8 L/km.
- Downside: the exhaust was popping a lot when I was shutting the gas...In the second half of the ride it seemed to have improved. Maybe the new tunning was still adjusting...I will see how it goes in the future.
The engine didn't seem to be oveheating, but It will take a look at the outer spark plugs soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tank quick release connection   Tank quick release connection Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tank quick release connection
Page 1 of 1