GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested

Go down 
+6
SemperVee1
mikecanz
Pete Roper
TimOz
beetle
PJPR01
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SemperVee1
Carlotto
Carlotto
SemperVee1

2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:04 am

Following....
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:30 pm

PJPR01 wrote:
Hi folks,

I spent some more time on this issue as I still have the red triangle and Service message.  But after cleaning all of the connections everywhere on the bike, I unfortunately now find that I have to replace the blue rubber gaskets on the two ECU wiring harness heads.  
Unfortunately looking at all of the schematics online, I have been unable to locate the part number (if it exists) of these two blue rubber gaskets that create the water tight seal on the wiring heads that lock into the ECU.

Anyone have any luck in the past on replacing these either with OEM gaskets or found an alternative source for the same rubber (neoprene?) gaskets?

Thanks all!  Merry Xmas as well to all of the GG contributors...hope you all get some fun new toys to enjoy under the Xmas tree!

Do a search for Delphi automotive connectors and see what you find.

Strange failure. What happened to the seals?
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:44 pm

Really, what kind of contact cleaner was it? Brand?
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:54 pm

Hi Steve...I was using DeOxit on the ECU and the stepper motor connectors, hoping that would do a better job than just regular electrical contract cleaner and perhaps with luck resolve the electrical stepper motor error 60 that is still persistent on the GRiSO.  I think I had the seals pinched before I began using the DeOxit, but I never noticed it until after the cleaning and i saw the pieces hanging off.

Hi Pete:  On the blue seals, it seems that I didn't properly seat them while I had the ECU disconnected during this process and I inadvertently pinched one of the shorter rectangular sides on each of the connectors causing a tear.  Theoretically I could replace the broken piece with some light soft silicone, but I hate having a broken seal given that the ECU is up front and even though covered, I still think water could get in...

As a follow up, I spoke with Curtis today at Harpers, it doesn't appear that these seals are sold separately from the wiring harness, so I'll have to look for the alternative source as indicated above.

Thanks both!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:09 pm

Whatever they are made of the seals do seem a bit sensitive to some chemicals. Try taking them off and washing them in warm, soapy water and rinsing them thoroughly and letting them dry in a warm environment. They may well regain their shape.

They may not either but what have you got to loose?
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:16 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Whatever they are made of the seals do seem a bit sensitive to some chemicals. Try taking them off and washing them in warm, soapy water and rinsing them thoroughly and letting them dry in a warm environment. They may well regain their shape.

They may not either but what have you got to loose?

Certainly worth a shot, I'll have to repair the tears as well, but perhaps I'll get lucky in the seal surgery process! Thanks Pete!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:29 pm

You can't buy the seals separately. Well, I've never seen them sold separately. Pretty sure the connectors themselves are made from unobtainium, as they are proprietary to Marelli. The closest thing would be the seals from a Molex 64319-1218 connector. Try Mouser:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:39 pm

Looks pretty close. Certainly worth a try. I doubt the seals are available separately either. I'd expect to buy the whole unit and cannibalise it.
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:06 pm

beetle wrote:

You can't buy the seals separately. Well, I've never seen them sold separately. Pretty sure the connectors themselves are made from unobtainium, as they are proprietary to Marelli. The closest thing would be the seals from a Molex 64319-1218 connector. Try Mouser:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

Thanks Beetle...that looks pretty close indeed and not expensive either!  Much appreciated...gives me some hope to find them now!
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:26 pm

Been through this very same issue. If the molex option doesn't work your best bet is to buy a used wiring harness with the pair of seals included. But otherwise you have to buy the whole adapter from Marelli and scavenge the blue seal from it. $$$
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:15 pm

Today I took a gamble and decided to replace the speed sensor as this was in a rare case a few years ago the cause of this stepper motor error. Unfortunately, the new sensor doesn't make any difference...I still have the red triangle and SERVICE message.

I wonder if there is some way to Master clear the error codes or if I am missing a step somewhere.

When I go into the Diagnostics menu, I still see the ECU Error code 60.

I select Clear Codes, Yes, hold it until it reverts to the next screen and then Exit, Exit.

Am I missing a step somewhere here?

Even Guzzidiag can't seem to clear this bugger...I'm wondering if I just have a shot wiring harness at this point...worst comes to worst, I'll take it into MPH one day and leave it with them and see if they have any luck.
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:37 pm

Good news and bad news to report.  I got a call from Davey at MPH as I had dropped off the GRiSO there in early January. Apparently they found the issue and it's a bad ECU, so all of my previous work, while in vain, was at least good mechanical learning, but couldn't overcome a defective ECU.   Mike was able to swap in a used ECU and all is good again, got it re-programmed to mimic my original one...that's great news.  I'll pick up the bike in a few days when I can swing down there to get it.  

Unfortunately MPH cannot work the warranty angle on the ECU these days, it only has about 5700 miles on it, so quite young.  I will try to contact Guzzi and see if they'll cover part of the expense for this repair...seems a shame the ECU would fail at such a low mileage, albeit 8 year old bike since it's a 2015.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear it's been solved, clearly this was beyond anything I could have tested...so glad the guru of Guzzi was able to ID the issue and fix it.  Amazing work by MPH again!

Clancy likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:02 am

Engine Light
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:37 am

PJPR01 wrote:
..seems a shame the ECU would fail at such a low mileage, albeit 8 year old bike since it's a 2015.  !

To the best of my knowledge the failure of electronic components has at least as much to do with age and environmental exposure as it does with operation cycles (age)
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:33 am

lcjohnny wrote:
PJPR01 wrote:
..seems a shame the ECU would fail at such a low mileage, albeit 8 year old bike since it's a 2015.  !

To the best of my knowledge the failure of electronic components has at least as much to do with age and environmental exposure as it does with operation cycles (age)

It's a fair observation and a logical conclusion....

Still odd in my view though, as this is a 2015 bike that is always garaged, rarely ridden in the rain. When I compare it to my 2008 Norge with 50K miles, housed in the same garage, but ridden thru many many rainstorms and all sorts of road conditions, I'm left with the conclusion that the newer ECU is somehow more fragile than the past. Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow...will be nice to have it back home despite the defect!

Now to see if I can get some money back from Piaggio USA....just curious whether the ECU has a longer warranty period than the original warranty of the bike, somewhat similar to catalytic converters on some model cars.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:34 am

paulbrice wrote:
Engine Light

Believe me...the thought had crossed my mind! Smile

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested   2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

2015 GRiSO Stepper Motor Failure - Help requested
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2