GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Drain? Breather?...

Go down 
+7
Lazlokovacs
PJPR01
JohnA
Chris W
Pete Roper
lcjohnny
Matias
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:03 am

thanks for that... makes a lot of sense

now I know why the top of my gearbox was getting oil on it after the last change

if anyone comes across tubes that don't degrade as fast as the stockers, please let us know!

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:26 am

PJPR01 wrote:

A tool such as this makes easy work of the fuel line disconnect...you can find something like this locally, or on line:

Hi,
You still need to de-pressurize the circuit if you use the tool?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:16 am

Matias,
Search YouTube for “guzzi quick disconnect fuel fitting” and you’ll see a nice video of what to do.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:31 am

Thanks John, this is a good help.
Probably it was not working because I skipped the depressurising step...
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:35 am

[quote="Pete Roper"]

The rear hose off the back left of the airbox is, in my opinion, pretty superfluous as if there is enough oil expulsion for it to start collecting in that part of the box you're going to have some pretty serious engine problems! /quote]

I guess this is the one they call the "water drain hose", and probably was placed there is case any water condensates or gets sucked into that chamber
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 am

Matias wrote:
Chris, that spigot couldn't be in a worse position....
You were able to reach it from the left or right side?

Hi Matias
access is from the left side only. it's been a while since I did this, so all the details aren't exactly in the forefront of my memory!
I recall fishing the tube around the frame of the bike being careful to avoid kinks and pinch points, then using the pliers to push it onto the nipple from the airbox. I left the hose extra long then trimmed the bottom as needed once the top was fastened to the airbox and correctly routed.
you can get a little more working clearance by removing the plastic cover from the starter
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:52 pm

Matias wrote:
Thanks John, this is a good help.
Probably it was  not working because I skipped the depressurising step...

That wont make a massive difference in helping to disconnect the pressure fuel fitting.
I posted this tool a little while ago, costs small currencies for a set of three, the green one works a treat.
I tried for ages to get mine apart and failed, made my girly fingers sore Embarassed even tried bike gloves all to no avail.
Saw these little plier things on a guzzi forum somewhere so bought a set.
£6 UK pounds.
One part slots into a groove on the push fit part (fuel line side shown in picture) the other locates on the red spigot.
You gently squeeze and then gently pull apart, works an absolute treat.
Blows me away how simple it makes the procedure.

As for the hose on the bottom of the airbox, its not rocket science to remove the airbox attach a new length of hose.
Refit airbox, cut hose to length, poke it into the retaining clip and plug the thing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:34 pm

Yup…that’s the set I had bought as well…green one is the one for the job.  I couldn’t find the name on any of them…hence the recommendation for another similar device on the other thread

Last edited by PJPR01 on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:07 am

I guess I really need one of those...
Yesterday I have depressurised the system but that connection still didn't want to open...
So you use the pliers to press the red tube against the connector and then pull the white ring back? Is that how ir works?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:15 am

Pliers just pull the white bit back against the black collar on the fuel pipe & then you can pull the fitting off.....overcomes the 'manual problem' which is you need to push like feck the black collar against the white bit (to squeeze them together) & simulateously pull whilst pushing...Mad
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:25 am

So right...
Really, even with my own fingers I have already applied a considerable force to that thing...It's made of plastic so i'm always affraid it will snap anytime.
After depressurising I think I feel the black tube moving slightly when I press it against the red tube, but still that wihte bit doesn't want to move...
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:16 am

Matias wrote:
I guess I really need one of those...
Yesterday I have depressurised the system but that connection still didn't want to open...
So you use the pliers to press the red tube against the connector and then pull the white ring back? Is that how ir works?

The pliers squeeze the grey collar against the red spigot, which releases the inner catch mechanism.
Then just slide the two apart.
The distance the grey collar moves is tiny.
Each time I've used the pliers I think it never did anything but then the thing slides apart and am like WTF Laughing

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:35 am

Buellbloke wrote:
 Each time I've used the pliers I think it never did anything but then the thing slides apart and am like WTF Laughing

Perfect description...same here.

I've not de-pressurized the system, I do drain the tank however first with an easy to use siphoner, so you don't get a lot of gas spilling out...and the tank is lighter to lift also w/o 4-5 gallons in it.

Should be a piece of cake Matias once you get the tool...

On the drain tubes on the airbox, one one mine is on the front bottom, and another is on the side...yesterday I replaced one of the crusty old tubes with a fresh set of rubber tubing, and cut a 2 inch clear section with larger plug for the bottom, joined by a metal barb to the fresh rubber.  The original rubber plug seems to work its way loose quite easily from the bottom of the rubber tubing even with a small clamp, so I just use an oversize screw.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:07 am

Well...job done!
I was able to assemble the airbox drains and check the breather connections (front left one from the airbox was loose) without completely removing the tank (just lifting it)...I'm going to buy those pliers and next time this tank has to come out.
I have used silicone tubes 5mm ID x 10mm OD for the drains. The size is ideal and they are very flexible. I think that helped with the routing. According to the technical information they should withstand temperatures of 220ºC. I bought them ai Amazon.
If they burn or fall off the bike in the first week I will report Smile
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:47 am

Correction: the loose breather was the front right, not front left
Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:04 pm

I did mine using needle nosed pliers with the airbox in place. Once I had the pliers it was straight forward.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:55 am

I took Chris’ advice and bought a set of long needle nose pliers that included 45 and 90 degree pliers and got it on from the left side. I had to fix my neutral switch while at it but the pliers helped for that too.
What would I do with out everyone here……
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:56 am

Excuse me……the right side….
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drain? Breather?...   Drain? Breather?... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Drain? Breather?...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2