GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Swinging arm bearings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

Swinging arm bearings Empty
PostSubject: Swinging arm bearings   Swinging arm bearings Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:41 am

I am being punished for not maintaining these.

I've found an old thread that explains how to get at them to grease them. Is that the same process to replace 'em?

How do you remove them once you have access?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Swinging arm bearings   Swinging arm bearings Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:36 am

Trogladyte wrote:

I've found an old thread that explains how to get at them to grease them. Is that the same process to replace 'em?

How do you remove them once you have access?

If it is the Paul Brice thread it is good advice on the whole process.

The seating that the outer race presses into has 2 small cut-aways at 180 degrees to each other (I think top and bottom).

After you have removed the swing arm and inner bearings you can insert a slim cold-chisel from inside the frame through the pivot holes and engage the back of the bearing outer through those two cut-aways. Then tonk top then bottom repeatedly with a big hammer. Start gently but they may be a bit corroded in place - salty roads and all.

They go in more easily.
Back to top Go down
eighteight
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eighteight

PostSubject: Re: Swinging arm bearings   Swinging arm bearings Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:25 am

If it is the Paul Brice thread it is good advice on the whole process.
[/quote]

If someone could locate and link this "how to" , it would be most appreciated.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Swinging arm bearings   Swinging arm bearings Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:36 am

Here it is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Note Paul's link to an earlier Pete Roper 'How-to' on this

Please check [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for other good stuff

eighteight likes this post

Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: Swinging arm bearings   Swinging arm bearings Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:29 am

Thanks all. It was the Pete Roper one I'd seen, but these links are really helpful. Given that there is significant play, what parts should I order?

It's going to have to wait

Back to top Go down
eighteight
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eighteight

PostSubject: Re: Swinging arm bearings   Swinging arm bearings Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:41 am

lcjohnny wrote:
Here it is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Note Paul's link to an earlier Pete Roper 'How-to' on this

Please check [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for other good stuff

Thank you Sir.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Swinging arm bearings   Swinging arm bearings Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:03 am

Trogladyte wrote:
Thanks all. It was the Pete Roper one I'd seen, but these links are really helpful. Given that there is significant play, what parts should I order?

"Significant play" where?

Up and down play in the suspension = worn needle rollers. Depending on local prices it may be cheaper to buy the two "connecting rods" with the bearings seals and inner bushes already fitted.

Side to side play in the swing arm = probably slackly adjusted taper roller swing arm bearings. Try tightening the castellated nut till the play disappears. If it wont disappear or goes "graunchy" one or more taper rollers may have broken up as the cage rusts away. = Replacement of bearings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swinging arm bearings   Swinging arm bearings Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Swinging arm bearings
Page 1 of 1