GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

lighter wheels? lighter rotors?

Go down 
+2
paulbrice
Lazlokovacs
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Empty
PostSubject: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 am

much as my 1200SE wire wheels look great, I can't help but wonder how the GRiSO might handle if it lost a bit of unsprung weight.

Anyone got real world experience with any of the (unbelievably expensive) aftermarket wheels out there?

And/or lighter rotors?

cheers
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:23 am

Most of the weight reduction for lighter wheels is directly from your wallet; but running them without tyres also removes a lot of the basic weight !

More seriously there are some weight saving data from Ghezzi here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:40 pm

Forget about lighter rotors, they will make a miniscule difference that even a MotoGP rider, wouldn't notice.
It is the centrifugal force of the rim and tyre that impacts the steering force, so unless you can get some unobtainable carbon fibre wheels you won't get a lot of benefit. There are some lightweight alloy wheels out there but the cost probably outweighs the likely benifits.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:18 pm

Getting a proper spring or shock, possibly front fork oil, and doing sag and rebound with your full gear on by a competent shop or friend will yield great results for handling...can make a night and day difference in handling.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:37 am

Thanks PJPR, already took care of that with maxton suspension front and rear, feels great. Might just feel greater with less unsprung weight. Smile

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:29 pm

Some inspiration
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
il Postino
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
il Postino

PostSubject: Re: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:44 pm

Thumbs Up

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Liked those PVMs enough to opt for a set for my bike here in California. With Covid and all manner of delays, it only took a year and a half to get them from Däs Mototec!

And yes, they sharpened up the steering and made the GRiSO feel livelier. It could also be that my wallet was lighter, so maybe that was also helping...
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:39 am

Thanks for the info

did you by any chance weigh them before you put them on the bike?

also, was it a straight swap with no hassles?

Back to top Go down
il Postino
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
il Postino

PostSubject: Re: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:37 pm

Lazlokovacs wrote:
Thanks for the info

did you by any chance weigh them before you put them on the bike?

also, was it a straight swap with no hassles?

Sorry, but I did not have a scale handy to weigh them. All I can tell you is that my unscientific, "pick one up and then pick up the other," comparison indicated that the PVMs felt lighter. Thinking back, I would have appreciated having this information just to be able to calculate the difference between the factory spoked wheels and these.

Also, yes these bolted straight on to my GRiSO. They were also shipped with a custom disc brake adapter and a cover plate for the CARC rear bolt area.

One final observation is that the Guzzi factory must have used A LOT of Loctite on the rear disc brake bolts. I had to use a torch to break them loose.

Last edited by il Postino on Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:02 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : $pelling!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lighter wheels? lighter rotors?   lighter wheels? lighter rotors? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

lighter wheels? lighter rotors?
Page 1 of 1