GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

More shit to contend with.

Go down 
+4
beetle
Brent S
Andrewpatrol
Pete Roper
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

More shit to contend with. Empty
PostSubject: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:23 pm

Was talking to the NGK rep today and it seems the company is ceasing production of all plug caps.

No idea why and the only explanation was that economies of scale made it no longer viable. I asked whether this was just an Australian importer thing and was told no, it was a global company thing. I dunno what we can use in their place. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Andrewpatrol
Carlotto
Carlotto
Andrewpatrol

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:36 pm

Pete I’ve had a quick look up of cap no. NGK SB05E or F . Any preference which E or F . I’m going to buy a few to keep aside.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:15 pm

The difference between the E and F suffix relates to the type of top electrode the plug they are going on has. Either the threaded top or the *Waisted* top. From memory E is threaded, F is waisted but don't quote me on that.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:31 am

Following on from this, assuming normal plugs from the factory, which of the “E” or “F” designation is the correct fitment?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:45 pm

E

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:52 pm

thanks for that, got a few on order, I'm still running the stock ones so will give peace of mind to have some spares...

Andrewpatrol likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:12 am

Ok, I’ll ask the dumb question of today. Searching the internet for these, and the images show either a ‘straight’ resistor cap, or one at a 90 degrees. Which one is required? Before I order several useless caps of the incorrect orientation, is there any such thing as two versions of the one SB05E model?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:37 am

No. The SB05E is straight.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:56 am

Thanks Beetle.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:01 am

Largely irrelevant now, as there doesn’t seem to be any left in Aus anyway.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:25 am

I bought the last ones in Oz that I know of.

While I'd happily sell them to you at retail I'd say that as long as you remove your caps by the *Correct* method of levering them up from the bottom you'll probably never need them and therefore I'd prefer to keep them for a bike that has been butchered.

Caps rarely screw up unless there is something else wrong in the ignition system. Look after the ones you have and they'll probably outlive you.

When I pass on info like this it isn't to engender panic, just to make the knowledge (As I've been told!) available.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:37 am

Fair enough Pete. My bike is seldom used, and the existing caps should outlast me if treated correctly. That said, if one happened to be busted, I’d hate the GRiSO to be sidelined for want of a $10 part. I have no genuine need for these now, so will just keep my eyes open for any that come up.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:40 am

Alternatives will be found. The NGK rep suggested Hitachi as a possible alternative. A quick fleabay search brings up lots of shit that *Might* work. It'll just be a matter of finding something *Reputable' to do the job.
Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:55 pm

NGK SB05E or F are still available here in the US apparently.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:18 pm

I don't doubt it. Whether this is NOS though is a different matter.

I may be wrong but the message I got from the NGK rep was that production of caps was ceasing or had ceased world wide.

Just a heads up. I'll be happy to be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:44 pm

Might be worth stocking up then if that’s the case. ngk.com is a vendor not affiliated with NGK the company, they claim that they have 155 SB05E and 661 SB05F in stock. Could be NOS but who cares...
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:54 pm

Just reviving this thread for a moment, I came across some NGK SB05E caps and ordered some. These ones are red in colour, as opposed to black, but that should make no difference given they’re hidden anyway. So, I get them, and written on the box is SB05EC. What is the “C” designation? Will these still fit?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:11 pm

My guess would be it denotes the colour? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:15 pm

I hope so Pete, as they came from the UK which is something I didn’t immediately notice when I ordered them. The smaller details sometimes get missed when online shopping after several glasses of Shiraz…… Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:13 am

AFAIK the only important differences are denoted by the E or F suffix which indicates the type of top on the centre electrode on the plug. It's easier to find different plugs than different caps!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:32 pm

I had the same trouble for the inner plug caps on my Sport (VD05EMH) - no longer available. Found 2 in Shitney and purchased same - just in case from BikeBiz - believe I got the last 2 in Oz, as they came from a distribution warehouse. These are 120 degrees. I found out through trial and error, the outer plugs caps will also fit but it is tighter than a fishes arse. Can be made to work in a pinch.

However I got onto GreenSpark in the UK and they were on backorder till July this year. These have come too - the way GreenSpark were talking about them, these were fresh stock. Widen your search, you never know...
Back to top Go down
svru
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
svru

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:04 pm

Using the NGK CR3 for a few years. No issues. Red cap with cable.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:27 am

A bit of thread mining here, but I was viewing Mr Roper’s valve adjustment tutorial topic, and the plug caps had what looked like a 90 degree angle to them in the pics. I recently bought some NGK replacement caps as spares due to the fact that they were being discontinued, and these are straight. SB05E designation. Um, is there an issue here?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:30 am

Nope. You have to fold the HT lead under the lead cover, (The thing with the little badge on it.) ugly, but it works.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:32 am

Ah, ok. Thanks for the quick reply.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More shit to contend with.   More shit to contend with. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

More shit to contend with.
Page 1 of 1