GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
archercc
Carlotto
Carlotto
archercc

31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Empty
PostSubject: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Anything else I should be getting other than GU05702530 (the drive belt) while Im in there? Looks like its a manual tensioner so guessing that doesnt need to be replaced (unless you guys are seeing early pulley bearing failures). Ill probably get exhaust gaskets. Last time I pulled them the studs were pretty corroded, anyone swapped out those header studs?

I know whats in the manual but wondering if you guys have experience with older bikes and there might be some "while you are in there" type things you have experienced. Im fine with spending a little extra now if it saves me frustration doing it or work later.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:29 pm

Breather and especially drain hoses are prone to hardening and failure.

Have you greased the swingarm bearings and shock linkage yet? If not it's well past time.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
archercc
Carlotto
Carlotto
archercc

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:49 am

I had it done 3 years ago by GuzziSteve so I think those should still be good.

Anyone have any experiences with those exhaust header studs? Mine look like death for some reason (I ride in all kinds of weather but bike is washed and garaged)
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:20 am

I had one break. Replaced them all with titanium studs from (I think, Pro-Bolt USA). They have small allen head sockets in the end so I didn't have to double nut them to install. And came with 12 point nuts to hold the headers.
If it weren't for that one breaking, I wouldn't have changed them.

Back to top Go down
archercc
Carlotto
Carlotto
archercc

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:22 am

Thanks I may risk it, they are really corroded for some reason. I'll look into the Ti ones. I do ride year round all seasons so probably not a bad idea
Back to top Go down
archercc
Carlotto
Carlotto
archercc

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:29 pm

Unfortunately doesnt seem like they do the exhaust studs anymore.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:50 pm

Gutsibits in UK does titanium studs [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I am putting these in now.

If you ride all weathers i would clean and regrease the sides of each of your suspension linkage bearings (I use outboard motor grease) to protect the links from the dirty wet blasting off the road.

Fuel filter (in tank) and the link pipe to it as these have been known to pop off (see this site)
Also (while you are under the tank) open check and vaseline every connector block you can get at.
Back to top Go down
archercc
Carlotto
Carlotto
archercc

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:56 pm

Thanks Ill check them out.

I did go nuts packing everything with dielectric grease when I had an issue with the oil pressure sensor and moved to the updated plug in one but Im sure it could be re-upped.

I see your thread on your suspension, hopefully mine arent needing a rebuild since I dont ride on salted roads, but yeah not afraid of dressing up the the gortons fisherman and pretending my GRiSO is an adventure bike. Ill def dig into them. I have some various waterproof greases for high speed/temp applications from Lucas too chose from that should do the job.
Back to top Go down
archercc
Carlotto
Carlotto
archercc

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:00 pm

While I have your attention and you all seem to be pretty involved owners anyone seen any improvements to the CARC mounting design? I rebuilt the setup using the newer factory bushing design but even now after 10k its got a little play in it, nothing like the slop that was in the OG design after 15k miles but still seems like something that should be tight as a drum.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:11 pm

Mine is 43k miles and has no play when bolted up.
It may have been replaced already? The back connection looks like a big rose joint, the front one looks like a "silentbloc" bonded rubber bush.

I remember that Buellbloke on this site had a problem with his so that thread would be worth finding
Back to top Go down
archercc
Carlotto
Carlotto
archercc

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:27 pm

I think the 1200s got the new design, the old one was a really bad design that was replaced with one of those bonded bushings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...   31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

31k mile service, looking for experiences and advice...
Page 1 of 1